Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: RingPlus, Important Information about Your Service: Hold Off on Porting

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Is anyone having issues with data?

I'm getting now a "Sign into network" warning and lost data access despite good signal, LTE and "Chamaleon". If I try to sign-in, I get a time out error. It was fine last time I used cellular data a couple of days ago. Voice and texts still ok though.

Similar issue described here (R+ forum)

Feedback Score
    >So what happens if one has initiated a port out of RP before the deadline and the port still has not completed yet and then Sprint shuts off RP?

Any number that hasn't been ported will be migrated (ported) to Ting. From Ting announcement, Sprint will allow for this. No number will be lost. Knock on wood.

The best thing to do is actually do nothing. Let the lines be migrated to Ting, and service will continue seamlessly. Once in Ting, the $35 should cover long enough to port out to whereever you want, and Ting support is very good. This is the main benefit of Ting's intervention, using it as a safe harbor to go elsewhere.

One complication is when you have more than 5+ lines in the account, and the $35 credit won't be enough to cover the line charges. You should be able to work with Ting CS to allow porting out w/o payment. To avoid this, port out each line manually to Ting, to separate accts, to gain $35 credit per line.

Another complication is if your port is stuck halfway when the migration takes place, the number may be lost in limbo. That would be poor luck.

>Is anyone having issues with data?

Everything still works fine here.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    Another complication is if your port is stuck halfway when the migration takes place, the number may be lost in limbo. That would be poor luck.
    I was going to port my number to Google Voice but now I think it makes more sense to just let it go to Ting and then port out from there. I don't have any confidence that my port will go through to GV within 2 days and I can't risk losing my number.

Ting has terrible prices but at least they seem to have decent customer service so I should be able to get my number out from them once this all dies down.

The only thing I am unsure of, is if RingPlus is getting shutdown on Saturday, how is my phone going to continue working if it's not ported to Ting yet? Or are they saying with this deal, that the shut off date is effectively extended?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stin View Post
    I was going to port my number to Google Voice but now I think it makes more sense to just let it go to Ting and then port out from there. I don't have any confidence that my port will go through to GV within 2 days and I can't risk losing my number.

Ting has terrible prices but at least they seem to have decent customer service so I should be able to get my number out from them once this all dies down.

The only thing I am unsure of, is if RingPlus is getting shutdown on Saturday, how is my phone going to continue working if it's not ported to Ting yet? Or are they saying with this deal, that the shut off date is effectively extended?

Yes they said that - they said Sprint agreed to give them a week or two as needed to transfer to Ting.

Feedback Score
    On a whim I decided to do FreedomPop rather than Ting as I didn't see myself staying with Ting long term so thought this would be the easiest. Big mistake. I successfully downgraded to free but they charged me twice for the $5 top up. The phone did not work and on the website it said I bought a phone (probably the error page when they can't activate successfully but who knows?).

I was able to file one support ticket right away for the device but today I tried to file another support ticket for the chargeback and it would not log me in (I was able to log into the account but not the support page). Their technical assistance line --888-743-8107-is a joke. It identified me by my landline and told me that my device isn't working and sent me to the support page.

My credit card flagged the charges for fraud so I had to call them and explain they were a mistake but I couldn't reach the company to reverse.

Then finally I decided to "deactivate" the account. That sent me to a different phone number--888-701-1353-- as you can't deactivate online. I used a different phone than before to call in as I did not want them to associate the phone with my account and send me back to support. I chose billing and got a real person! That person reversed the charges and then sent me a deactivate email. I also made him send me an email confirming the charge reversal as I did not want my account to be gone and no way to reach them if the reversals didn't happen. He at first said he couldn't send the email but I got him to do it by explaining if there was an error, I would have to contact my credit card company.

Now after this, ported to Tello this am. I am a light user so I am hoping for $3 monthly charges mostly for text and tiny amount for data. I like the fact that I can keep my phone number as I paid $3 initially to Google to port out something I would remember to Ringplus and although I have only handed it out to a few people, I think it will be easier for them to have continuity.

I am guessing it will take mid next week for the Ringplus to Ting thingy to complete so hopefully I will have gotten out in time.

Feedback Score
    Sorry you had such issues moving to FP. I've done so many times without problem. I did so again today, freeing-up a dilapidated Volt that I had on R+ and used only as a hotspot. I managed to swap that device out for a fictitious device; moved it to FP via the free BYOP offer; and paid using a one-time Mastercard. Did a carrier reset on the phone and it fired right up with the new number and working LTE. Got a bunch of fredom friends and gifted it the maximum of data from other accounts. All is well...

Feedback Score
    My manual port to Ting is going into the 2nd day. I checked last night with Ting support for an update, and also to check on Ting's touted CS. My call was picked up on the first ring at 9PM. The Ting rep, Trevor, was knowledgeable in explaining the process.

Since the "port" involves both number and phone, it requires the number to be moved first to a dummy device, then swapping the phone in as a second step. But because of high volume--rep mentioned 80K R+ users--it's taking a while as there aren't enough dummy phones, so it's being done in batches.

Afterward, I get email follow-up of the call, along with case #. I'd rate Ting CS as top-notch. Ting made a conscious business decision to emphasize good support over costs, which IMO is a good differentiator but with caveats. Ting users will tend to be loyal, but expansion will be limited. Scooping users from a dying provider is a great opportunity for Ting, to showcase its great CS and hopefully to convert some %. Karl also made a good business decision, to save R+ users from the spectre of losing their numbers in the rush. It's a win-win for all concerned.

Re: FreedomPop - It's understandable that many R+ users would choose another freemium provider to replace the one they lost, but I think many will regret the choice, mainly because of FP's poor voice quality and reliability. VoIP isn't good enough to be a daily driver. FP is good for free data, but integrating this with voice minutes from another provider would require a dual-phone or dual-SIM solution, more complicated than many would want to contend with. To start, you'd need a GV number to successfully use FP. Generally speaking, porting a phone number to a freemium, especially a number that you value, is not a great choice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    Sorry you had such issues moving to FP. I've done so many times without problem. I did so again today, freeing-up a dilapidated Volt that I had on R+ and used only as a hotspot. I managed to swap that device out for a fictitious device; moved it to FP via the free BYOP offer; and paid using a one-time Mastercard. Did a carrier reset on the phone and it fired right up with the new number and working LTE. Got a bunch of fredom friends and gifted it the maximum of data from other accounts. All is well...
    They're definitely not all bad by any means.

I had lost track of my earlier second free 2GB line. I had ported out of it to RingPlus and deactivated the device and account to do so.

When I tried to reimport that device to FP yesterday to a new account, I got an error. They still had records of the original account and the device. They reactivated it for me, including the original offer of Free 2GB, unlimited T&T, free Premium Voice etc. and the original $20 credit as well!

So now I have my two free 2GB free premium voice accounts active again on FP.

Feedback Score
    Well if I had the free premium with unlimited talk and text I might have stayed with it. But can't turn back the clock and that is not the Freedom Pop deal today.

With having to use the app and possible poor voice quality, the talk was out for me. I originally thought free for messages and I don't care much about the data but I would still have to use the app for texts and I wanted something simpler. Also for a second line, I didn't want to be looking over my shoulder, wondering if they would put random charges on my card like they did yesterday and like I read from others.

Edit: Looks like Tello port from this morning went through.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Conifer View Post
    Well if I had the free premium with unlimited talk and text I might have stayed with it. But can't turn back the clock and that is not the Freedom Pop deal today.

With having to use the app and possible poor voice quality, the talk was out for me. I originally thought free for messages and I don't care much about the data but I would still have to use the app for texts and I wanted something simpler. Also for a second line, I didn't want to be looking over my shoulder, wondering if they would put random charges on my card like they did yesterday and like I read from others....
    Charges or authorizations? They test authorize the amount of your next bill should you not downgrade, but they do not actually charge it. Just like a gas station. If you downgrade before the end of the trail period, you will never be actually charged.

Feedback Score
    They were two $5 top up charges. There was no bill as I had downgraded right away.

My Tello port went through but I haven't actually put the sim in the phone and tested it yet as I was testing the phone with H20 and I have about a week or so left on it. My ringplus dashboard is still active and so is my friend's who did not port. Other people are reporting ringplus dashboard not active and their lines are gone, unclear what happened, and their ports may have been dropped or perhaps migrated to ting.

Feedback Score
    >They were two $5 top up charges. There was no bill as I had downgraded right away.

FP $0 byodpromo5 is now forwarded to the new $10 byodpromo7. You probably were caught in the changeover.

>Other people are reporting ringplus dashboard not active and their lines are gone, unclear what happened, and their ports may have been dropped or perhaps migrated to ting.

Ting is prepping for the mass-migration, which will reportedly be some time next week. The disappearing R+ lines are normal indicators of successful ports, from a new automated system R+ has set up. In a few cases, the port was canceled after the line expired from R+, but before the port was completed, and the number was lost in limbo. People should work with their new providers to recover the lost numbers.

The takeaway is not to cancel a port in midstream. If the port fails of its own accord, R+ will still have the number, and it will auto-migrate to Ting. Whereupon you can port it again, but this time with Ting CS paving the way.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Conifer View Post
    They were two $5 top up charges. There was no bill as I had downgraded right away.

My Tello port went through but I haven't actually put the sim in the phone and tested it yet as I was testing the phone with H20 and I have about a week or so left on it. My ringplus dashboard is still active and so is my friend's who did not port. Other people are reporting ringplus dashboard not active and their lines are gone, unclear what happened, and their ports may have been dropped or perhaps migrated to ting.
    Charges or authorizations?

Often they authorize but do not charge.

Or did you run up close to the data limit? If you did, they will charge to allow you to get close to the limit.

If you disabled overages then they charge for that as a reserve but it should be refundable.

If they did charge, be sure to contact them as they usually refund very readily, even in cases where the user has just missed a deadline or whatever.
    Last edited by comintel; 02-09-2017 at 11:36 AM.

Feedback Score
    No. I had the $29+ charge and then a $29+ refund as I had done the free BYOD.
    That was clear and fine.

Then I manually paid $5 for top up and instead of one charge for $5, there were two charges for $5. FPop refunded me two $5 charges, according to their email. I have not been back to the credit card account to find out.

I am now wondering if makes sense to go to Ting as could possibly have $75 in credit if they truly allow to combine two different accounts. I already went to Tello with one account but Ting seems to say they will honor.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6