Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Voice+ callback app for Google Voice broken?

Feedback Score

Voice+ callback app for Google Voice broken?

Has the Voice+ callback app been broken since the GV app was updated last week? Voice+ apparently can no longer log into the user's Google account.

Are there any similar alternative apps to Voice+?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by josephf View Post
    Has the Voice+ callback app been broken since the GV app was updated last week? Voice+ apparently can no longer log into the user's Google account.

I don't know about the GV app update breaking Voice+ Callback, but it stopped working on some of my phones a year or so ago. Last I looked, it had not been maintained since 2015.

I just use the GV mobile web page. It works pretty well. I use Opera on most of my phones. The GV mobile web page only works with Chrome on one phone. Don't know about other browsers.

Feedback Score
    It's clunky to have to go to a webpage via a mobile browser to initiate a phone call. An app is much more suitable for it.

Sent from my SM-G928P using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Google Hangouts Dialer works well for me.

It's clunky to have to go to a webpage via a mobile browser to initiate a phone call. An app is much more suitable for it.

Sent from my SM-G928P using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Google Hangouts Dialer works well for me.
    I want to use cellular voice (with incoming callback for outgoing calls), not data, for the calls.

Feedback Score
    Just wondering why you are doing this vs using your phone dialer. Do you get free incoming cell calls?

I want to use cellular voice (with incoming callback for outgoing calls), not data, for the calls.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score

Voice+ v1.75 is still working fine for me on my LG G2 VS980. I just used it this morning to successfully place a call.

I never found an alternative to Voice+ to initiate calls via GV callback.

Feedback Score
    Why do callback? What carrier has free incoming calls?

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Voice+ v1.75 is still working fine for me on my LG G2 VS980. I just used it this morning to successfully place a call.

I never found an alternative to Voice+ to initiate calls via GV callback.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Why do callback? What carrier has free incoming calls?
    Truphone. But I only have Truphone for backup/occasional use.

For me, I usually place calls with my GV # using Prefixer, and it is a throwback to the days when I used the PPC Standard Plan and cellular data was very expensive, and I didn't trust the GV app to not use excessive amounts of data. Prefixer is best, because it doesn't use ANY cellular data to place a call using my GV #, as it automates the placing a call manually by dialing your GV #, entering your PIN, pressing 2, then dialing the # you want to call, followed by #.

I started using Voice+ when I started using Truphone, because Truphone has free incoming calls.

Now, since we're all learning things here, how do you place calls from your cell phone to show your GV # on the recipient's caller ID?

Feedback Score
    I have the Google Voice app set to use my Google Voice number for all calls. When I use the native phone dialer, it automatically dials the appropriate number for the contact I'm calling so they see my GV number. So I don't have to do anything special - it's very simple and works 100%.

Now, since we're all learning things here, how do you place calls from your cell phone to show your GV # on the recipient's caller ID?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I have the Google Voice app set to use my Google Voice number for all calls. When I use the native phone dialer, it automatically dials the appropriate number for the contact I'm calling so they see my GV number. So I don't have to do anything special - it's very simple and works 100%.
    Does using the GV app make any changes to your Google Contacts?

Feedback Score
    None that I have noticed.

Feedback Score
    As you say, the Google Voice app set to use the Google Voice number for ALL CALLS works simply and well.

Beware if you set the GV app to ask how to complete each call. That will mess up outgoing calls for cars with hands-free Bluetooth integration. The car screen doesn't show the prompt to select which way to call.

We really shouldn't be driving and calling anyway.

Drive now. Talk later. Hangup and drive.

Feedback Score
    No. It has no reason to.

Carrier(s)
    FirstNet, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via APCO25
    Feedback Score
    On an android phone I use the GV app, on a dumb phone I use the shadow number if I know it, or I use the manual method like you describe. It's not hard to acquire the shadow number, with SMS forwarding on have your contacts send you a SMS to your Google voice number. When it gets forwarded to your phone it will appear to come from a number you won't recognize. That is your contact's shadow number. If the text is from a contact that you have saved to your Google account then their name will precede the message, otherwise the actual number will precede it. I've been using these numbers since the beginning of GV so I am confident they don't change. Having the shadow number allows you to place calls and texts without using any data. These numbers are unique to you and your GV number.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast