Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Voice+ callback app for Google Voice broken?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by josephf View Post
    I see that was a premium feature for Voice+. I read that the premium features were not working long before that app broke completely for new installations.
    Where are you getting that information? What Voice+ version?

It was all included in the free version of Voice+ v1.75, and it all still works just as I described above on my LG G2 VS980. I do not have the premium or paid version.

When I press call, Voice+ pops up with a list of all my linked GV #s, including cell phones, work phone, home phone, my parents' phone, just to name a few, along with a choice to use the native dialer.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Boz, perhaps you can voice your concerns to developer to see if they can be integrated into an update?

Having a choice is rather important.

If both phones are rooted, it might be worth a shot to restore the lg backup of the old app onto the Phoenix 2.

I had to do similar hackery to make several duplicate accounts in csipsimple for a few FP accounts. This involved modifying the accounts database file by duplicating an existing entry then changing the login/passwords. Not that I'll ever use them, but there may be a need for another phone number where I don't want to give out the gv #.
    I did let the developer know it would be nice to have those features.

Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to root the LG Phoenix 2.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Due to the security in android, there is no way to access another app's files without root. So no way to restore the settings from the old phone even if you can back them up.

I find simple things like this bothersome and why will never own a phone I can't root. It makes the experience most frustrating.

Carrier(s)
    FirstNet, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via APCO25
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I find simple things like this bothersome and why will never own a phone I can't root. It makes the experience most frustrating.
    This says everything about Android and I firmly agree!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I agree. I'm missing doing even the simple things I did with my previous phones, which were all rooted.

But I purchased this LG Phoenix 2 on Black Friday, 2016, for $30 just to have my first ever GSM only phone to play with. 100% of my previous phones were Vzw models.

I finally opened the Phoenix 2 box at the beginning of March, 2017, and started trying it out while testing a FreedomPop AT&T LTE SIM with Hangouts exclusively for voice service over data. The main reason I ended up using it full time now is that just over a week ago my LG G2 VS980 started having dead spots on parts of the touch screen, making it difficult to use.

I'm definitely having fun with the Phoenix 2, especially since it was only $30 brand new!

However, if all continues to go well with the FP AT&T LTE SIM + Hangouts for voice and messaging with my GV #, I may end up with a Moto G 5 Plus. Of course, that also depends on what develops/changes with Hangouts and/or Google Voice over the next month or two. We'll see...

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes, the lack of root really sucks once you get used to having the flexibility and potential of what you can do with root.

Fortunately my AT&T GoPhone Huawei Ascend XT 6" phablets for $50 BF and again post BF are rootable .

Google, industry, etc is making it exponentially harder to root phones .

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by josephf View Post
    Has the Voice+ callback app been broken since the GV app was updated last week? Voice+ apparently can no longer log into the user's Google account.

Are there any similar alternative apps to Voice+?
    Any resolution on this? Has anyone found an alternative that does not involve opening a web page? Thanks!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by vvk View Post
    Any resolution on this? Has anyone found an alternative that does not involve opening a web page? Thanks!
    Did you even bother to read this thread?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Google hasn't changed anything with the way callback works, I use callback through various ways, code and apps and nothing has changed.

Perhaps someone can help you with your app configuration or help you find out what is going on with Xinlu

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Bustler View Post
    Google hasn't changed anything with the way callback works, I use callback through various ways, code and apps and nothing has changed.

Perhaps someone can help you with your app configuration or help you find out what is going on with Xinlu
    Then why don't new installations of Voice+ work?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Did you even bother to read this thread?
    Thank you so much! And you are right, my bad.

Device(s)
    ZTE ZMax Pro, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+, LG Stylo
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, MetroPCS, Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I thought the problem had to do with Google two-step verification. I remember in the past I had to create a separate app password for it.

However I just changed my carrier number and the app would not update my list of forwarding numbers from my Google account. I realized soon after that I could not log in anymore.

I'm glad someone found a solution, thanks. I really wish Google would make up its mind on what messaging apps it's going to use... And integrate a dialer with callback already!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I haven't been using my LG G2 VS980 very much in March, because I've been testing my FP AT&T LTE SIM+LG Phoenix 2+Hangouts combo, which has been working out well for my particular needs so far.

But today I tested the long-ago-installed/setup Voice+ on my old LG G2, and it still works fine to initiate GV callback calls.

So, I decided to try setting up Voice+ on my LG Phoenix 2. It wouldn't even let me get logged into my Google account!

Anyway, all this to say that there is a new app in the Play Store, called GVoice Callback that seems to get the job done.

GVoice Callback is more basic than Voice+. When it intercepts the call, it doesn't give the option to use the phone's native dialer, it just immediately initiates the GV callback. Also, the GV forwarding # for the callback must be pre-selected in the app settings, instead of presented for selection at the time of each call. But it does work.

I still have no idea why the long-ago-installed/setup Voice+ still works on my LG G2, but Voice+ won't let me do a new setup on my LG Phoenix 2!

Oh, well...at least GVoice Callback is better than a non-functioning (for new setups) Voice+ !
    In case anyone is trying to locate the GVoice Callback app, please see a new post for the current status: www_howardforums_com/showthread.php/1913315-GVoice-Callback-apk-(after-being-unpublished-from-Google-Play-Store)

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rocwhite View Post
    In case anyone is trying to locate the GVoice Callback app, please see a new post for the current status: www_howardforums_com/showthread.php/1913315-GVoice-Callback-apk-(after-being-unpublished-from-Google-Play-Store)
    In case anybody is interested, the link https://gvoicecallback.netlify.com/#install is on the GVoice Callback https://gvoicecallback.netlify.com/ page.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3