Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: What are you leaving Ring Plus for? Freedom pop? Real Mobile? Other?

Feedback Score
    SO what is the best deal for my 12 yr old son with a feature flip phone....he has light usage....a couple calls a month and some texting......

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    SO what is the best deal for my 12 yr old son with a feature flip phone....he has light usage....a couple calls a month and some texting......
    Tello Wireless paygo for low usage.

What does "some texting" mean? They are one cent each on Tello paygo, but that can add up if some texting means dozens a day.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Tello Wireless paygo for low usage.

What does "some texting" mean? They are one cent each on Tello paygo, but that can add up if some texting means dozens a day.
    I haven't looked at his R+ dashboard lately but I think 100-200 a month. Sometimes he would get on some chain text with his friends and rack them up. I guess even if he does 300 that is only 3 bucks.

Will probably allow the automatic Ting port to happen, and then I could sign up with Ting for a couple months and spend down my $35 credit while I decide next stop. I can't imagine I'm staying on Ting and paying $15 a month or whatever though for highly metered stuff.

Feedback Score
    I haven't looked at his R+ dashboard lately but I think 100-200 a month. Sometimes he would get on some chain text with his friends and rack them up. I guess even if he does 300 that is only 3 bucks.
    There ya go. Three bucks is not a problem for most. I probably don't need to mention that 100-300 texts a month by a 12 year-old can quickly become MUCH more when they get to be 13, 14, 15, 16...

Feedback Score
    I probably don't need to mention that 100-300 texts a month by a 12 year-old can quickly become MUCH more when they get to be 13, 14, 15, 16...
    That's what recently happened to my son. He's 13 now, and until recently he hasn't been all that interested in texting. But last weekend he sent/received 330 texts on Saturday and another 240 on Sunday. If this keeps up he will burn through nearly 3000 texts a month, or maybe even more!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    There ya go. Three bucks is not a problem for most. I probably don't need to mention that 100-300 texts a month by a 12 year-old can quickly become MUCH more when they get to be 13, 14, 15, 16...
    Quote Originally Posted by owkaye View Post
    That's what recently happened to my son. He's 13 now, and until recently he hasn't been all that interested in texting. But last weekend he sent/received 330 texts on Saturday and another 240 on Sunday. If this keeps up he will burn through nearly 3000 texts a month, or maybe even more!
    We've held out on giving him a real smartphone although I have an LG Tribute HD up on the shelf ready to go for "some time" in the future.....thought I was going to activate it on R+ but apparently not......

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Update:

tl;dr Got notification from FP of successful activation. Took about 2 days from the time account was created to update with sim icc id.

Brief recap.
    Device: moto x pure

I changed active device on my R+ account to that of an old sprint 3g phone.

Two days later initiated service with FP using the meid of moto x. System never asked for the sim icc id.

System indicated successful activation but phone would not provision. Called 888-701-1353 - # provided either in this thread or a different thread. Spoke with rep who took down my info and created a ticket. I also provided a different sim icc in case there was some issue with the first. Nearly two days later got an email saying they got an update from the "development team" regarding successful activation.

Peformed handsfree activation (update carrier profile). Lte works now. Interestingly, mdn/msid assigned to phone don't match the fp number generated. Inbound calls to this number ring twice then dead silence. Outbound calls just silence. Lte speeds about the same as with r+.

ymmv

Feedback Score
    We've held out on giving him a real smartphone although I have an LG Tribute HD up on the shelf ready to go for "some time" in the future.....thought I was going to activate it on R+ but apparently not......
    You should have activated it when you could as FED applies to that phone now - the loophole ended in January.

However try it anyway as they just might be loosening up a lot on FED again right now to facilitate migration off RingPlus (even though phones have always migrated anyway once ever activated).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Yes it is still good for now and what I am suggesting is that people act now while it is still free on byodpromo5 because byodpromo7 is not free.
    Well byodpromo5 is gone. You type it and get the promo7 to activate FP for $10

Feedback Score
    byodpromo8 is the new one for 99c.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stin View Post
    byodpromo8 is the new one for 99c.
    Exactly correct.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Someone posted link this on SD. Good write up on how to swap cdma devices on FP.

https://forums.freedompop.com/discus...r-phone-number

It's a cluster, but doable.

Feedback Score
    Apparently ports from R+ to FP may be working after all.
    FP had said they would try.
    https://social.ringplus.net/discussi...Comment_145899

At this point though I would probably wait until Ting has taken over the R+ lines in one massive swoop as planned for this coming week.

I think ports from Ting to FP should probably work also since ports from R+ to FP seem to be working now.

Feedback Score
    Do I want to switch to Freedompop? Would it remain a truly free option where I could keep my son's Kyocera flip phone? Or does it need different hardware?

Feedback Score
    Do I want to switch to Freedompop? Would it remain a truly free option where I could keep my son's Kyocera flip phone? Or does it need different hardware?
    I'm pretty sure even the FP CDMA service is data only. That wouldn't work for a flip phone to call or text.

GSM on FP is definitely data only.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast