Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: What are you leaving Ring Plus for? Freedom pop? Real Mobile? Other?

Feedback Score

What are you leaving Ring Plus for? Freedom pop? Real Mobile? Other?

Looks like Ringplus's state of disarray is going to have a mass exodus and possibly huge amounts of porting. Easiest way to survive is probably run to another Sprint mvno with similar device compatibility. Freedom pop with two carriers (or more) under it seems more stable then Ring plus and similar to it in operations. Real Mobile has a unique $20/one year paygo plan for Sprint devices (possibly compatible with your current Ring Plus device) at 5 cents a minute/text/meg and buys you the time needed to go from there. Any other alternates please list. Real isn't free but one year for a double sawbuck is a long time to lock down a number. Best deal of that time probably. They're a Sprint/Att mvno that's been around for several years. Everyone knows Freedompop.

Feedback Score
    Well for freemium penny pinchers, there's cheap but not free Expo mobile with 90 days for $10, 2 cents text/minute. No data/mms or rollover though. Go wifi and get a mms app. Uses Sprint phones. Also, there's that new Red Pocket $10 a month plan for 500 minutes/500 texts and I think 50 megs of data. Also for Sprint devices. Not free but possible options. 100,000 is a lot of users looking for a place to go.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE, LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b, ZTE 222
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    If you are looking at Paygo and limited to a Sprint device I think Tello is a better choice than Real or Expo. 3c/1c/2c and it does not expire if you make a call, I believe, every 6 months.

In the interim I think I will be moving over to Tello using pay go or a combo of paygo/plan just to try out the service. I have a Nexus 5x so I most likely will end up on TF using Verizon.

Feedback Score
    How is it possible that phones that would not pass the FED check today can still be ported from Ring+ to a different Sprint MVNO like Tello?? I was just able to port my Boost Moto G over to Tello. If I never activated the Boost G, would I have been able to put it on Tello today?

Feedback Score
    I'm moving to Freedompop. I have a Nexus 6 that works on both Sprint and AT&T, so I'm just trying to decide which network to go with at this point. GSM LTE sim is $2 and CDMA is currently free for BYOD.

The GSM sim has less data (600MB vs 900MB usable with Freedom friends) but potentially better coverage/speeds.

Device(s)
    Huawei ascend XT
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    i have the luxury to go with a sprint mvno or gsm as i have a backup ATT phone. so im going with twigby right now and depending on how well the service is, i will move on to a gsm carrier. maybe freedompop or h2o

Feedback Score

The more options to port out to , the better

Quote Originally Posted by ls61 View Post
    If you are looking at Paygo and limited to a Sprint device I think Tello is a better choice than Real or Expo. 3c/1c/2c and it does not expire if you make a call, I believe, every 6 months.

In the interim I think I will be moving over to Tello using pay go or a combo of paygo/plan just to try out the service. I have a Nexus 5x so I most likely will end up on TF using Verizon.
    Thanks for bringing up other Sprint byod options.

Caveats though. Though Ringplus is/was free and those on it in many cases "may be losing nothing or not a lot" , the whole emergency exit situation though it's a prepaid service, is still a pita situation for 100,000 users. Tello , though promising , is a mere six months or so old, is a Sprint only mvno whereas the other options mentioned, though not giving the same offer, have been around for well over 3 years for Expo and well over 5 years for Real mobile . And both are not just Sprint mvnos but also dual carrier mvnos offering more stability then just a solo Sprint mvno. Tello appears to be ahead on pricepoint but the other offerings have other strengths. In the end it will be up to the individual whether stability/history means anything or not. Everyone's different even those who all came for Ringplus's Low/no cost service. Ring plus was around for three years or so but their model was always teetering on uncertainty and they never went beyond Sprint which is suicide it seems for many mvnos these days. Many ex Sprint exclusive mvnos have changed and added other options . Ting added Tmobile, Freedompop added Att, Eco added Tmobile and Verizon, Expo added Verizon, Rok went from being a Sprint and Tmobile mvno to being a Verizon exclusive mvno , Credo went from Sprint to Verizon, Good2Go started off as Sprint and added Att. All of them started off as a Sprint exclusive or near exclusive and switched or added other options and all are still around.

Sprint does have the largest mvno program but looking at all of these successful mvnos, there may just be a pattern here.

To all ex R Plussers, best of luck in WHATEVER your new post Ring option will be!
    e

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky893 View Post
    Thanks for bringing up other Sprint byod options.
    Tello , though promising , is a mere six months or so old, is a Sprint only mvno whereas the other options mentioned, though not giving the same offer, have been around for well over 3 years for Expo and well over 5 years for Real mobile
    Tell it to P-Tel and Spot Mobile who were around longer than most MVNOs currently operating.

About Tello:
    These are just a few of the questions lying on everyone’s lips! Well, we might seem like a newly launched mobile provider on the US market, but surprise, surprise! Our mother company has more than 10 years of experience in the telecom industry and has been offering calling services to million of customers since 2002. So, we’re not a rookie afterall!
    That said, I would not put any more stock into Tello than I would Expo or Real. Bottom line, you have to go where you feel most comfortable.

My primary number is with GV, so I am not to concerned where I end up and more comfortable now that Google has recently invested resources in GV.
    It was not too long ago speculation was GV was headed for the dust bin.....so?

Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile (CDMA)
    Feedback Score
    I know many others are wanting to get a free or very cheap phone service, but with plans that ringplus had its hard to beat what they gave for free.

for me, I already have a cricket line from reddit cricketgroups where I joined a group of 4 others and we all get a $20 savings..

so I am in the process of porting my number out to google voice.. I tried ring.to but ringTO isn't allowing me to port in any more numbers.

Feedback Score
    >Tello , though promising , is a mere six months or so old

Compared to R+, pretty much every other provider is safer. The argument for/against Tello isn't reliability, but more about usage. At 3c/min, it costs 50% more than the 2c/min ones. Tello is good if your usage is ultra-low, about 100-200 mins/month, ie an emergency phone.

If your usage is higher, as would be for most people, costs will be sub-optimal. The next step up would be the 2c/min PAYGOs, eg Expo Mobile, Speedtalk Mobile, etc. These are good up to 300-400 min/month. Once you reach 500 min, then it's $10/month just for voice, and you're better off with an unlimited account like MintSIM yearly ($199 - 20% coupon SHOPCLEVER).

The argument for sticking with a Sprint provider is that you don't have to get new phones. The arg against is that Sprint coverage isn't great, depending on location, and if you're paying for service, might as well go with one with good coverage.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by symbiance View Post
    I already have a cricket line from reddit cricketgroups where I joined a group of 4 others and we all get a $20 savings..
    The problem with carriers other than Sprint is that so many R+ customers have Sprint only compatible devices and their options are limited given they only have about 5 business days left at this point.

One reason I suggest Tello and a $5 paygo or even Ting using a referral code to quickly port out and move your device, from there you can make a decision on where to go. No need to find a SIM or devices, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by symbiance View Post
    so I am in the process of porting my number out to google voice.. I tried ring.to but ringTO isn't allowing me to port in any more numbers.
    I just noticed that too, I thought Ring.To was going to allow those of us who stuck around to continue to port in? I have a couple of R+ numbers I would like to have kept. Maybe just port to Tello on a $5 paygo and use as back up.

Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post

The argument for/against Tello isn't reliability, but more about usage. At 3c/min, it costs 50% more than the 2c/min ones. Tello is good if your usage is ultra-low, about 100-200 mins/month, ie an emergency phone.
    They offer more than paygo? Their plans are not so bad for both low and moderate use and you can build a hybrid plan - part plan/part paygo. Not everyone needs unlimited call and text w/ multiple GBs of data.

Nothing shakes the cost differences with Ring Plus, but Ring Plus could not pay their bills either and why they are out of business.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    For the less demanding users who are concerned about having to replace phones, what I have done with two lines is do an ESN swap to an old junker Virgin Mobile flip phone, the activate the phone on FreedomPop, there is a $20 activation fee, and you have to watch data usage like a hawk (if you use more than 300MB they will do an auto top up on your account).

I moved two phones, an HTC One M8 and a Tribute HD, I am porting both numbers out, one to FreedomPOP, the other to Cricket. The line going to FreedomPOP will be using the same M8 we used on Ring+. By doing the ESN swap before the port clears the M8 and the Tribute HD for use on another carrier immediately. That way I was able to activate the M8 on FreedomPop right away, and then put in the port request, we don't want to lose that number, and really didn't want to lose the use of that phone (I have seen phones get locked into a ghost MVNO and they are almost impossible to get cleared). The Tribute was ESN Swapped and immediately passed the Ting and FreedomPop checkers, I am porting that number to Cricket, but may activate the phone on another carrier, I don't have much tied up in the phone, but it is a nice phone and I hate to see it go unused.

Feedback Score
    I have an unlocked Nexus 6. Since it has both radios, I can get separate FreedomPop accounts for both cdma and gsm, and swap sims without issue?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    How is it possible that phones that would not pass the FED check today can still be ported from Ring+ to a different Sprint MVNO like Tello?? I was just able to port my Boost Moto G over to Tello. If I never activated the Boost G, would I have been able to put it on Tello today?
    Sprint seems to periodically go through and take old enough phones off the FED database... I've had 3 different deactivated phones that failed FED, which suddenly passed a few weeks later for no apparent reason.

Or it may be that moving from one Sprint MVNO to another without deactivating it in-between bypasses the FED check.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stin View Post
    I'm moving to Freedompop. I have a Nexus 6 that works on both Sprint and AT&T, so I'm just trying to decide which network to go with at this point. GSM LTE sim is $2 and CDMA is currently free for BYOD.

The GSM sim has less data (600MB vs 900MB usable with Freedom friends) but potentially better coverage/speeds.
    Do you talk much? If you're using VoIP over cellular, I would avoid Sprint, unless you don't care.

Sprint's network is perpetually overloaded, so speeds and latency can be all over the map. Some people report LTE in their area is SLOWER than their 3G/CDMA network. In my area LTE speed is acceptable (but variable), and LTE latency is HIGHER than their 3G/CDMA network, even though LTE should be lower. That makes it more painful for VoIP than a decent network like AT&T.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast