Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 247

Thread: Ring Plus sues Sprint; Ring Plus Shutdown Feb. 11 (may be extended)

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,483
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by july11 View Post
    You can't just disable auto top up instead of cancelling?
    No. Ringplus Auto Top Ups were mandatory and can not be disabled. You can cancel your whole account any time. Charges after that would be fraud (or ineptitude) and your would win a chargeback with your card company.
    Last edited by bobdevnul; 02-06-2017 at 01:37 PM.

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    89
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by july11 View Post
    You can't just disable auto top up instead of cancelling?
    Top up is listed in your FPop account under "Billing". Click on that, then "Billing Settings". You then click on "Edit" for top up. Now when you turn off automatic top up you will be charged $5. The pop up explains why.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    289
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have three lines on R+. One, I am in the process of porting to Tello. This is my main phone.
    The second one, I though I would try Freedom.pop. But I have heard some people with a bunch of surprised bills from them.
    Are people really happy with their service and free plan?
    OBIHAI 200 Oct 2015 Replaced NetTalk
    Alcatel A383G Jul 2015 To Jan 2016 Replaced A382G
    Alcatel A382G Apr 2014 To Jul 2015
    Kyocera Hydro Mar 2014 Ring+ 2016
    Google Voice Feb 2014 Ported TF (AT&T) # to GV
    Azpen A700 Nov 2013 7" Android tablet for GV/Talkatone
    LG 840G Sep 2013 Replaced C155
    NetTalk DUO Oct 2010 To Oct 2015 Replaced Verizon Land Line
    Verizon Land Line Oct 2010 Dropped & Ported # to TF
    Motorola V176 Jan 2008 To Apr 2014
    Motorola C155 Apr 2007 To Sep 2013 My first cell phone

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,483
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TJN View Post
    I have three lines on R+. One, I am in the process of porting to Tello. This is my main phone.
    The second one, I though I would try Freedom.pop. But I have heard some people with a bunch of surprised bills from them.
    Are people really happy with their service and free service?
    When you buy FP service it comes with a month of free premium services. After the first month you will be charged for them if they are not disabled/opted out.

    The monthly charge items are in two places: My Account -> Plans, and My Account Services. You can turn off the monthly charges there.

    There is a third item that can cause surprise charges: Billing Settings -> Auto Top Up. With Auto Top Up on, they will charge your card $15 if you get within 100 MB of your monthly data limit. You can turn off Auto Top Up, but they require a $5 deposit to do that. If you do that you will also have to re-enable it every 30 days. You don't have to pay again, just enable it again - it's a stupid thing, but it goes with the system.

    FP is VOIP only for voice calls, unless you pay extra for premium service. That is only available on their Sprint service.

    VOIP service is not suitable for reliable calls at any arbitrary time. VOIP is particularly unreliable over mobile data when you are moving and switching between cells.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    994
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you do that you will also have to re-enable it every 30 days. You don't have to pay again, just enable it again - it's a stupid thing, but it goes with the system.

    I've never done the off/on re-enable thing.

    After you re-enable it after 30 days, can you turn it off immediately until the next 30 cycle.?

    I don't believe ever coming within the 100 mb top-up range. I have had a Global Sim for maybe 6 months. Auto top up is not enabled. Never had a surprise charge for any reason. I have to see what happens when I get into the 100 mb range.
    Last edited by july11; 02-06-2017 at 03:19 PM.

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,997
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TJN View Post
    I have three lines on R+. One, I am in the process of porting to Tello. This is my main phone.
    The second one, I though I would try Freedom.pop. But I have heard some people with a bunch of surprised bills from them.
    Are people really happy with their service and free plan?
    I have a bunch of lines on FP and am moving the rest back there as well from RP.

    I have never had a surprise charge using many devices over many years.

    But that is only because I carefully read the footnotes and threads on forums etc.

    I do think that many of their advertising and offers are outright misleading. Only buy things from them and select options based on forums like this, not based on anything they say. Their own forum is fine too.

    Will the average person have surprise charges and be unhappy? Yes, because they will forget to cancel free trials etc. (Even then they could get the money back if they asked in most cases if they read their bills and act promptly if they see a surprise charge because they forgot to cancel something etc.)

    I never have used virtual credit cards etc. either. I agree they can have value in some circumstances. But I give them my real name, address, and email addresses (of which I do have a bunch). In my opinion, for the user to add all sorts of anonymity, fake email addresses, one-time-charge cards etc. causes more problems than it solves because you create payment rejections, resulting suspensions, etc and sometimes the notices do not reach you etc.
    Last edited by comintel; 02-06-2017 at 03:27 PM.

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,483
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by july11 View Post
    If you do that you will also have to re-enable it every 30 days. You don't have to pay again, just enable it again - it's a stupid thing, but it goes with the system.

    After you re-enable it after 30 days, can you turn it off immediately until the next 30 cycle.?
    You have to re-enable the $5 deposit balance. The Auto Top Up setting seems to stay off, but I have never let re-enabling the $5 deposit balance go more that a few days past 30 to see what eventually happens.

    I am still very careful not to let my data use go over 600 MB. I set the data limit on my tablet to 550 MB. I don't want any surprises if it gets to 600 or 700.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,428
    Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    0
    There are several guides/wikis online for Freedompop, including at Slickdeals.

    One of the better ones that explains everything including pictures on how to cancel the trial plans and downgrade the trial services is here:
    http://www.cranialborborygmus.com/Fr...-E2-review.htm

    There are 3 reviews, including the Sprint service linked above and one for the Global SIM and one for the new LTE SIM. If you want to make sure you understand how to have truly free service and not be charged, read and understand all 3.

    Note, I have no affiliation with the site.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,997
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    You have to re-enable the $5 deposit balance. The Auto Top Up setting seems to stay off, but I have never let re-enabling the $5 deposit balance go more that a few days past 30 to see what eventually happens.

    I am still very careful not to let my data use go over 600 MB. I set the data limit on my tablet to 550 MB. I don't want any surprises if it gets to 600 or 700.
    Just fyi I just reenabled some old inactive credit balances on my old FP accounts from over 6 months ago. I do not know if they ever expire them completely. But I agree better be safe and reenable them promptly. .

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    289
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    When you buy FP service it comes with a month of free premium services. After the first month you will be charged for them if they are not disabled/opted out.

    The monthly charge items are in two places: My Account -> Plans, and My Account Services. You can turn off the monthly charges there.

    There is a third item that can cause surprise charges: Billing Settings -> Auto Top Up. With Auto Top Up on, they will charge your card $15 if you get within 100 MB of your monthly data limit. You can turn off Auto Top Up, but they require a $5 deposit to do that. If you do that you will also have to re-enable it every 30 days. You don't have to pay again, just enable it again - it's a stupid thing, but it goes with the system.

    FP is VOIP only for voice calls, unless you pay extra for premium service. That is only available on their Sprint service.

    VOIP service is not suitable for reliable calls at any arbitrary time. VOIP is particularly unreliable over mobile data when you are moving and switching between cells.
    bobdevnul - Thank you for that great information!

    Is there a way you can turn DATA off within FP. I had it turned off on R+.

    I heard FP free service will cost $20 to activate? Is that correct? I have old Boost (Sprint) phone that I was using on R+. I guess it is a CDMA phone because I think that is all Boost uses.

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,428
    Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Just fyi I just reenabled some old inactive credit balances on my old FP accounts from over 6 months ago. I do not know if they ever expire them completely. But I agree better be safe and reenable them promptly. .
    I wonder what happens if they're inactive and you go over your allotted data.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    879
    Feedback Score
    0
    I don't see the point in paying $5 to disable auto top up when my android phone has both a warning and hard limit I can set. Especially if you have multiple sims on difference accounts, this can get pricey.

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,997
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TJN View Post
    ....
    I heard FP free service will cost $20 to activate? Is that correct?......
    Yes if you call their Sales Dept.

    But it is free at the moment if you activate online using the links posted here (which are old by the way but still work as of now).

    eg https://www.freedompop.com/byodpromo5

    However it is 500 MB in reality after the trial period, not 1 GB or 2 GB.

    I would not wait forever to do it as the free offer may go away (or it might stay there forever, I just do not know).

    I think I am going to do all of mine tonight just to get it done while they are free.
    Last edited by comintel; 02-06-2017 at 04:15 PM.

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    879
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TJN View Post
    I heard FP free service will cost $20 to activate? Is that correct? I have old Boost (Sprint) phone that I was using on R+. I guess it is a CDMA phone because I think that is all Boost uses.
    Usually, but apparently they are having a deal right now with free activation. Saw it at slickdeals. Since my Nexus 6 works on both Sprint and AT&T I'm probably going to get a sim for both networks.

    If I want to swap phones on the cdma network, is it correct that I will need a new sim card and also have to pay $20 activation fee?

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,905
    Device(s)
    LG Volt, LG clamshell,
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus,T-Mo prepaid,Truphone
    Feedback Score
    0
    I don't know if anyone else has noticed or mentioned this and an hour doesn't make much difference, but it does make that actual time a question. The email I received says service will end "at 5:00 PM CENTRAL DAYLIGHT TIME". It seems strange to say "DAYLIGHT TIME" when we are not on Daylight time now in February.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ring Plus Straight Sprint Service Plans aka Mad Plans.
    By ls61 in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 09-21-2016, 10:35 AM
  2. Ring Plus Traditional Sprint Service Plans
    By ls61 in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-22-2016, 12:51 AM
  3. Ring Plus sim + non-Sprint phone
    By kansanian in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-14-2015, 10:03 PM
  4. Gulf Coast Wireless sues Sprint
    By manchurianman in forum Sprint
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-04-2005, 12:48 PM
  5. Horizon PCS sues Sprint PCS
    By eakenn in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2003, 12:24 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks