Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for smartphone to use as mini computer

Feedback Score

Looking for smartphone to use as mini computer

Can anyone recommend to me a cheap phone that I could use as a mini computer?

I just want to use it for a few offline apps. I bought a droid 3 on ebay for $15.00. I thought it would be perfect because it has a keyboard. But in order to run some of the apps I need android 4.x. I didn't realize that in order to update it I would have to first root, remove bloatware, unlock bootloader, and install recovery. What a daunting process. Does anyone do this for pay?

I just am looking to run some offline apps and have no need for a phone carrier. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx so much for your time.

Device(s)
    Huawei P30 Pro 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    VodaCom
    Feedback Score
    Some older Flagships would suit you best e.g. a Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Sony Xperia Z Ultra, Huawei Mate 8, LG V10, Google Nexus 6 even a Nexus 5. HTC M8, HTC One Max or Motorola Moto X.

All these are older but have great hardware, great displays and are powerful enough to run latest apps, they all have AT LEAST Android 4.4.4

via Galaxy S7 Edge +128GB MicroSDXC
    Samsung GALAXY Note 4 32GB +128GB MicroSDXC Charcoal Black
    Apple iPad 4 WIFI+4G LTE 16GB White
    "World can't hold me, too much ambition."Jay-Z

Feedback Score
    http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2017...an-22.html?m=1

every Sunday this website list phones on sale.

boost often has cheap phones on sale. often best buy has good sale prices on boost phones.

i recommend trying to get a 5 inch or larger screen and marshmallow or better. you won't typically get os updates on cheap locked phones so you want the newest os you can get.

i would look for a price around $50 or less but it depends on what features you want.

i got a boost tribute hd on sale black Friday for $20. i think this has been on sale for $50 recently.

Feedback Score
    Do any of these come with a keyboard. I enjoy the keyboard on the droid 3 very much. If not is there a cheap alternative to add a keyboard to these phones?

Thanx

Feedback Score
    i don't see phones with keyboards often anymore.

you could get a separate Bluetooth keyboard. i would see what Amazon has.

Device(s)
    Huawei P30 Pro 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    VodaCom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cjamps View Post
    Do any of these come with a keyboard. I enjoy the keyboard on the droid 3 very much. If not is there a cheap alternative to add a keyboard to these phones?

Thanx
    If a keyboard is a must then there is one option:
    Blackberry Priv:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_priv-7587.php

Otherwise wait for the BlackBerry Mercury:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_dtek70-8508.php

Feedback Score
    Do they every have droids that are updated to a later version of android? Ebay has one for $115.00. I keep wondering if there is somewhere I can get it for 1/2 of that or if I could send the droid I bought to someone to do it for pay.

Feedback Score

Thanx
    I have not seen a new phone with a keyboard in about five years. The newest ones are probably stuck on Android 4.1.? and are slow.

I have a LG Mach that I got for $17. It is a neat little phone with a slide out keyboard that it just adorable, but it is too slow to answer my Ring doorbell (you only get 20 seconds to answer). The Android 4.1.? is also too old to install Here Maps.

Bluetooth keyboards are cheap and easy. There are thousands of them. I got one off NewEgg for $12 for my tablet. It is a bit too small to touch type, but fine for two-finger pecking. Lots of them in the $20 range. Also take a look at Air Mouse.

Since you don't need phone service, how about a cheap tablet? Watch out for the Amazon Fire tablets. They don't use the standard Android app store. You are stuck with what Amazon has for apps unless you hack the fire.

Device(s)
    S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Do they every have droids that are updated to a later version of android? Ebay has one for $115.00. I keep wondering if there is somewhere I can get it for 1/2 of that or if I could send the droid I bought to someone to do it for pay.
    The last Droid with a keyboard was the Droid 4 and that came out in 2012. 5 years old is extremely old for a smartphone. You aren't going to find any recent phones that have a newer OS with a keyboard unfortunately. There are only a couple out there and most are still expensive, like the Priv.

Feedback Score
    Can anyone recommend to me a cheap phone that I could use as a mini computer?

I just want to use it for a few offline apps. I bought a droid 3 on ebay for $15.00. I thought it would be perfect because it has a keyboard. But in order to run some of the apps I need android 4.x. I didn't realize that in order to update it I would have to first root, remove bloatware, unlock bootloader, and install recovery. What a daunting process. Does anyone do this for pay?

I just am looking to run some offline apps and have no need for a phone carrier. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx so much for your time.
    Using an old smartphone as a mini computer makes no sense, I would rather recommend you to buy a tablet around $100 that will provide you sufficient space to operate the apps and will also deliver better battery life than smartphones. Hope this helps

Feedback Score
    Thanx for responding. I actually did buy a phone for $75.00, quite a bit more then I expected to spend. A refurbished Samsung Galaxy s5. But I am happy with it. You were right about the battery though. It does go quite quickly.

Device(s)
    Huawei P30 Pro 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    VodaCom
    Feedback Score
    You will have to use its Power Save features

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you're looking for a mini-computer device, perhaps look at old Palm Pilots instead of phones. Of course it depends on the apps you want to run, but Palm Pilots are cheap and still quite capable for the very basics. And the battery lasts more than a day.

Feedback Score
    It'll be better to get a cheap tablet under $100 and then use it for your work purpose.

Feedback Score
    I would generally prefer a phone because they are cheaper than tablets.

Here are two examples from boost.

https://www.boostmobile.com/phones/l...te-empire.html
    $49 Android Oreo

https://www.boostmobile.com/phones/l...ute-royal.html
    $79 Android p

I would get a Bluetooth keyboard for $10 to $20 on Amazon or bestbuy or walmart or Target.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast