Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dangers of Sim Swapping

Feedback Score

Dangers of Sim Swapping

I would like your input in regards to sim swapping. Meaning, getting a new line each month and making use of the new number discounts, I plan on using google voice.

1. When the month finishes, do I need to cancel the sim or just let it run out?

2. Will the carrier blacklist me after a certain amount of times? Do they or do they not ask for name and address and MEIN and all that, and then when they see that I have done it 15 times, will they no longer allow me to open up a new line?

3. What other problem would I possibly run into and how would I work around it?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    People use to that with preloaded sims but the carriers started blocking imei numbers after enrollment. If you are doing it on postpaid plans, each time you sign up they do a credit check which will hurt your fico. People use to do that to get cheap/free phones but then companies started making you return the phone or pay the balance of MSRP.

I don't know what will happen if you do BYOD on a post paid plan and cancel the first month. I have not seen any postpaid intro plans that interest me to try a scam like this. You can bet, if you find a new way to take advantage, the carrier will shut it down once numbers get too high. If you figure something out, keep it to yourself.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think the question is in regards to prepaid. I'd probably swap devices every month. Doesn't look as suspicious then.

Feedback Score
    Swapping devices may not help.

The carriers get your imei from your phone automatically whenever you log into the network.

And it is regarding Prepaid.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    What carrier/MVNO do you plan on doing this with?

How much is the promo monthly service to make it worth your while to do all this?

If you are swapping devices, then you won't be using the same IMEI every month.
    Cheers!

Feedback Score
    H20, Rok Mobile, red pocket mobile, verizon prepaid, uk 3, lyca, ultra, mint

They range from $4 to $20, but normaly I would pay $30, but some of these plans, especially the $20 for the first month are for the $50 plans, so a $30 plan can go for $4-$10 and a $50 plan can go for $20. Some may even be $25 but again they are the higher tiered plans, so I will pay a $25 and get 10 gigs.

I do not plan on changing phones, just changing sims, opening up a new line each month and making use of the introductory first month incentive.

And whatever phone you end up putting the sim-card in, they will know the imei.

I also notice that with such a selection I can make it that I will never use the same carrier more than twice a year, and so when I return 7 months later they will unlikely be suspicious, they will be glad that I have returned. You agree?

Also, if I keep to the same carrier over and over again, will they or will they not black list my IMEI?

If they do blacklist it, will it only stop my phone from being used on that one MVNO, on all MVNOs, what about the parent company(if H20 blacklists me, will ATT also have me blacklisted)?

Feedback Score
    If you don't do the same company twice in a row, I don't think you have anything to worry about other than breaking/wearing out the SIM tray/slot.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    @OP, depending on your usage, here's an idea.

Get a dual sim phone, get 2 freedompop lte sim cards. Only one data connection can be active at a time.

With freedom friends, you get usable 1.2GB a month between the two cards ( 2 x (200 + 500-100)). If you can get your friends to gift you data, that's an additional 500MB per sim, so another gig total. Grand total of 1.1GB a month for each sim, or 2.2 GB combined. Set up your phone to cut off data when you reach near 1050MB or so.

Note I swear the above has been mentioned before in a different thread.

Google hangouts work relatively well over lte and even 4g.

Total cost, $10, no swapping sim cards monthly bs. Waiting on sellers to apply the promo refill, or other headaches. Again, this approach only works if you're a light user.

Feedback Score
    Gifting data means that they siphon from them to you?

Feedback Score
    3.6GB of FreedomPop monthly data for a one-time cost of $5.04 ...

Quote Originally Posted by nutN2Lewz View Post
    So you could buy an LTE sim (currently on sale for $4.99 with free shipping) and also buy 5 global sims (sometimes on sale for $0.01). Your LTE sim gets 700MB per month and you can also send 500MB per month from your 5 global sims. This means that your LTE sim would get 1.2GB of LTE data per month for a total cost of $5.04. And if you use up that 1.2GB of LTE data you can then swap in your 5 global sims that have a total of 3GB of HSPA+ data (5 x (700MB - 100MB)). So for one-time investment of $5.04 you get 1.2GB of LTE data and 3GB of HSPA+ data per month on the AT&T LTE network.

The above calculations assume that you disable topups for $5. If you DO NOT disable topups you would get 600MB + 500MB = 1.1GB of LTE data plus (5 x (600MB - 100MB)) = 2.5GB of HSPA+ data.

Feedback Score
    Wow

And do not forget the unlimited data on whatsapp sim.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^Thanks.. I knew my short term memory was still working. So much nice on these forums, the signal sometimes gets lost

According to google, gifting means:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=defi...fting&ie=UTF-8

gift

ɡift/
    verb
    gerund or present participle: gifting

• give (something) as a gift, especially formally or as a donation or bequest.
      "the company gifted 2,999 shares to a charity"
      • present (someone) with a gift or gifts.
        "the director gifted her with a heart-shaped brooch"
        synonyms: present, give, bestow, confer, donate, endow, award, accord, grant; Morehand over, make over
        "he gifted a composition to the orchestra"
      • endow someone with (something).
        "she was gifted with a powerful clairvoyance"

@OP, maybe it's best you find someone to subsidize your cell phone usage so you don't have to ponder ways of saving pennies everywhere?

Feedback Score
    I know that freedompop uses data and has the person making calls via their app as opposed to using the native dialer.

How well does that work? Does it go smoothly, is there cut off?

Feedback Score
    No cutoff, you get 3.6GB per month.

WhatsApp requires all parties use the app. Instead use Google Hangouts and get a free Google Voice number. Forward all 6 FreedomPop phone numbers (sims) to your one GV number. Free GV voicemail with emailed transcripts. The same GV number rings no matter what sim you have in the phone.

Feedback Score
    No cutoff, you get 3.6GB per month.

WhatsApp requires all parties use the app. Instead use Google Hangouts and get a free Google Voice number. Forward all 6 FreedomPop phone numbers (sims) to your one GV number. Free GV voicemail with emailed transcripts. The same GV number rings no matter what sim you have in the phone.
    When you said cut off, did you mean drop calls or static, since, I meant droped called and static? I should have used better terminology.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast