Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: New Google voice app w/ integrated MMS

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus (this month anyway)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Having said all that, I think the new GV app interface and web interface suck compared to the old ones .
    I couldn't agree more. The developers at Google are a lot smarter than I am, but really, this new release of the GV app has been nothing short of a PITA for me. (See previous posts.) It almost seems like it was not adequately beta tested before being released to the public. I still can't listen to my voicemails from my handset three days after installing the upgrade. I can at least hear them from my PC, and probably if I call in from another phone. If there were a way to roll back to the previous version, I would do so.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    There is

You want version 4.7.10 :
    http://www.apkmirror.com/?s=google+v...searchtype=apk

You will first have to uninstall the current version probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I couldn't agree more. The developers at Google are a lot smarter than I am, but really, this new release of the GV app has been nothing short of a PITA for me. (See previous posts.) It almost seems like it was not adequately beta tested before being released to the public. I still can't listen to my voicemails from my handset three days after installing the upgrade. I can at least hear them from my PC, and probably if I call in from another phone. If there were a way to roll back to the previous version, I would do so.
    Last edited by tfusr19; 01-30-2017 at 12:18 PM.
    Cheers!

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    The lack of support as the default SMS app is a deal breaker for me.

I ported my number to GV because I liked the idea of my number and all associated calls and texts living in the cloud, not associated with any carrier or handset. I like that the GV app finally supports MMS and groups, which once was only possible in Hangouts, but the most important part for a seamless integration is the ability to completely replace the carrier's SMS with this one.

It looks like the new GV app is designed to work alongside your carrier's messaging system, rather than instead of it. That's no good for us. My wife has the same setup as me, and this only works because I hid all references to the stock messaging app, and now anywhere she starts a new SMS it will open Hangouts and default to her GV account.

I like the new GV app, and there are things Hangouts doesn't do well (searching through messages, playing VMs, not to mention just generally being cluttered if you actually USE hangouts as a communication tool outside of SMS, which I occasionally do). It seems like they got so close... but still don't support the most important feature to me.
    Been gone a long time. Hello, HoFo- I'm BACK.

Feedback Score
    Dishe,
    If you enable mobile data and disable GV forwarding messages to carrier and turn off GV/Hangouts integration, you'll have the cake you want to eat - then she can use GV for all SMS/MMS, GV voicemail. Will this help?

Feedback Score
    Dishe,
    If you enable mobile data and disable GV forwarding messages to carrier and turn off GV/Hangouts integration, you'll have the cake you want to eat - then she can use GV for all SMS/MMS, GV voicemail. Will this help?
    You still can't make GV the default messaging app in Android unlike Hangouts. It's not even an option.

Feedback Score
    It doesn't make sense for Google to allow that since for one thing GV app doesn't support MMS attachments other than pictures. If you followed my last post, you can use GV app for all texting other than non-picture attachments. Not the perfect solution,but workable for some.

Quote Originally Posted by Stin View Post
    You still can't make GV the default messaging app in Android unlike Hangouts. It's not even an option.

Feedback Score
    It doesn't make sense for Google to allow that since for one thing GV app doesn't support MMS attachments other than pictures. If you followed my last post, you can use GV app for all texting other than non-picture attachments. Not the perfect solution,but workable for some.
    I've never sent a non picture mms, but to each their own.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Dishe,
    I feel like you don't understand what I'm doing. I don't have any GV forwarding messages, and I don't use my carrier's SMS service AT ALL. Zero. Like, check my bill and it will say 0 SMS/MMS. My mobile data is always on, unless I'm in a Wifi area. I'm not sure what your suggestion will accomplish, if anything.
    To clarify: For a while we tried avoiding any carrier at all by using a data-only service (Wifi at home, freedompop GSM data SIM when out), using hangouts dialer to make and receive calls, and it was pretty cool having our number and all messages living entirely in the cloud! Also, no monthly carrier bills (freedompop is free as long as you don't use more than 700mb a month). But, calls were less than reliable like this. When not in Wifi, the data SIM's service has slow ping response and calls always drop when there is a tower handoff, etc. Since we both use our phones for work (part of why it is useful to have control over SMS from a desktop), I wanted the calls to be more reliable when we are out so I opened up an account with Cricket and set GV up to work with my "burner number" from them. So now calls are routed through the AT&T cellular voice network (but using GV behind the scenes to call their own routing tables and keep my GV caller ID), which makes voice reliable and working just fine, and messaging works great as long as I keep it all within Hangouts as I've been doing since porting it.

Since hangouts can be set as the default app for messaging, and within that app GV can be made the default account to send messages from, the whole experience is seamless. My wife doesn't even know anything is going on behind the scenes. She can click to send an SMS, an attachment, etc, from any context menu or screen on her phone, and it will open in hangouts and send via IP to Google Voice. We send thousands of text messages a month, and not a single one touches the carrier's SMS service.

This actually works perfectly, however I don't particularly like using hangouts for everything since there are some features it lacks (search! and also VM playback is buggy) and it gets confusing when also using it for Hangouts chats that AREN'T sms/mms (same contact is listed in 2 different chats, etc).
    What I'm saying is that I was excited for the new GV app to work for us, but it looks like it still can't replace Hangouts for those of us who want fully seamless integration of GV into our phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stin View Post
    ^ This guy gets it.

That "solution" seems totally backwards. I don't want to ever use my carrier's number for anything! The whole point is to make the GV number my everything! It seemed like the new GV app was going to compete with Hangouts, which was welcome. But its not.
    Also? I'm not sure anyone I communicate with even knows you can attach something other than a picture to an MMS.

My whole point is that this gets really close to replacing Hangouts (which I'd love to do), but it still doesn't. Those of us who intend to use GV as our primary number are still better off with Hangouts. Which is a shame.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I use GV as my main phone number, forwarding it to my carrier number, etc. I use Hangouts for SMS/MMS with my GV number.

Does upgrading to the new GV app break any current GV functionality with Hangouts? Can I try out the new GV app but still be able to return to using GV integrated with Hangouts?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Yes, it doesn't break anything.

Quote Originally Posted by mmoose View Post
    I use GV as my main phone number, forwarding it to my carrier number, etc. I use Hangouts for SMS/MMS with my GV number.

Does upgrading to the new GV app break any current GV functionality with Hangouts? Can I try out the new GV app but still be able to return to using GV integrated with Hangouts?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes, it doesn't break anything.
    Thanks!

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    But your messages will still be in hangouts unless you tell it otherwise. If you tell it you want to use Gv for messaging, you will only receive messages there until you opt to integrate back into hangouts. It won't necessarily break anything, but you can realistically only use one at a time to get your messages.

Feedback Score
    And so where's the problem with that? Pick one and use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dishe View Post
    But your messages will still be in hangouts unless you tell it otherwise. If you tell it you want to use Gv for messaging, you will only receive messages there until you opt to integrate back into hangouts. It won't necessarily break anything, but you can realistically only use one at a time to get your messages.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dishe View Post
    And so where's the problem with that? Pick one and use it.
    This is fine with me. The situation I want to avoid is upgrading to the new GV app, not liking it, but not being able to go back to using Hangouts the way I had it (and was happy with).

So, if I understand it correctly, I'll try out the new GV app; and if I don't like it, I can just integrated GV with Hangouts and everything will work exactly the same way it did before I upgraded the GV app.

Feedback Score
    That's correct - so when are you going to try it ?

Quote Originally Posted by mmoose View Post
    This is fine with me. The situation I want to avoid is upgrading to the new GV app, not liking it, but not being able to go back to using Hangouts the way I had it (and was happy with).

So, if I understand it correctly, I'll try out the new GV app; and if I don't like it, I can just integrated GV with Hangouts and everything will work exactly the same way it did before I upgraded the GV app.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast