Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: New Google voice app w/ integrated MMS

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

New Google voice app w/ integrated MMS

Google updated their google voice app today with integrated MMS. No more hangouts needed to send/receive mms using google voice.

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2017...e-updated.html

Looks to be a rolling rollout. Download here if you don't want to wait.

Impressions:

Very nice update. Resembles a typical messaging app now
    MMS works very well. Received MMS takes a min or so to dl the image

Missing starred conversations/texts.

Fortunately the old web layout is still available here

https://www.google.com/voice

Enjoy!

Feedback Score
    Thanks! Yuck, I like both old app and old website better .

Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Google updated their google voice app today with integrated MMS. No more hangouts needed to send/receive mms using google voice.

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2017...e-updated.html

Looks to be a rolling rollout. Download here if you don't want to wait.

Impressions:

Very nice update. Resembles a typical messaging app now
    MMS works very well. Received MMS takes a min or so to dl the image

Missing starred conversations/texts.

Fortunately the old web layout is still available here

https://www.google.com/voice

Enjoy!

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    New app but wait? Looking forward for the iOS version.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think the old web UI is great on a pc. Screen realestate is well used. The new format, with lots of wasted white space seems to be the trend these days. Probably great on a mobile device but sucks on a pc.

On the computer, I'll continue using the old layout as it's way more productive. The new app an improvement on the phone.

Feedback Score
    Nope, I was looking at the website on my phone and the wasted whitespace is what makes it suck. I have to do a lot more scrolling now vs the old website interface.

I think the old web UI is great on a pc. Screen realestate is well used. The new format, with lots of wasted white space seems to be the trend these days. Probably great on a mobile device but sucks on a pc.

On the computer, I'll continue using the old layout as it's way more productive. The new app an improvement on the phone.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^I've rarely had the need to use the website on the phone. Isn't that the purpose of the app? What are you doing on the site that can't be done in the app?

Feedback Score
    I usually use the app, but sometimes use the website because I toggle text forwarding each time I have WiFi available as I have limited carrier texts available. It's faster to toggle the text forwarding switch from the website, as I have it bookmarked vs drilling down levels with the new app.

^^I've rarely had the need to use the website on the phone. Isn't that the purpose of the app? What are you doing on the site that can't be done in the app?

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^I used to have text forwarding enabled. Eventually got sick of it as there was only half the conversation, especially if some replies were made using the website. With the app (old or new), the whole conversation syncs regardless of the device. I can probably count on one hand how many carrier texts been sent in the past year.

Feedback Score
    I do use the GV app and website, depending on which is convenient and I believe they are both in sync with each other, so not following your post.

^^I used to have text forwarding enabled. Eventually got sick of it as there was only half the conversation, especially if some replies were made using the website. With the app (old or new), the whole conversation syncs regardless of the device. I can probably count on one hand how many carrier texts been sent in the past year.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Only received texts are forwarded to the your actual cell number. Anything you send in the web ui or app is not forwarded to your carrier messaging. So looking at the conversation on the carrier text app reveals only half the conversation. Eventually it seemed redundant to forward texts at all.

Feedback Score
    Yes, okay, I agree. I don't text enough for that to bother me since my texts are short term conversations. I have multiple phones too, so things could really get scrambled .

Only received texts are forwarded to the your actual cell number. Anything you send in the web ui or app is not forwarded to your carrier messaging. So looking at the conversation on the carrier text app reveals only half the conversation. Eventually it seemed redundant to forward texts at all.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Some more details about what's been added/removed.

https://productforums.google.com/for...ce/NPMlx64-UBs

If replying to this post, DO NOT QUOTE THE ENTIRE POST!!!!

Hi Everyone,

Today we announced an update to the Google Voice apps and web interface focusing on refreshing the look and feel, and improving speed and reliability.

We wanted to highlight some of the changes:

New Features:

• Conversations stay in one continuous thread
    • Support for photo sharing and group messaging
    • New inbox with a separate tab for texts, calls and voicemails
    • Per message deletion (ability to delete a specific message). Right-click or long-press on a message to delete it.
    • Mark all items as read. You can now reset your unread counts and mark all calls, texts and voicemails as read. This is accessible from the app menu

Feature Changes:

• Trash -- Deleting messages/calls is permanent. The new apps do not have a trash.
    • Archive -- Archiving now affects the entire conversation thread. If you receive a new message, the entire thread moves back out of archive and into the inbox. Archived messages can be found in the “Archived” folder.

Features not available in the new apps (Visit the legacy website to access these):

• Some settings -- The updated apps don’t support changing all the existing Google Voice settings (e.g. voicemail greeting). To change one of the missing settings, open the left navigation in the web client and click “Legacy Google Voice” and change your settings there.
    • Batch actions (e.g. to delete multiple messages at a time). Please visit the legacy website to delete multiple messages at a time
    • Number porting, number deletion, number transfer between accounts
    • Adding credit for paid calls, billing history
    • Calling on web -- only available to numbers you have communicated with already (by text, phone or voicemail). You cannot dial a new number on web
    • Marking as unread, marking as starred
    • Activating Google Voice voicemail on a linked number
    • The Android app widget

If you currently use Hangouts for your Google Voice SMS and MMS, you can continue using Hangouts. Messages sent and received in Hangouts will stay in Hangouts and opting in or out of the Hangouts integration will not remove any messages (that means you can try opting into using the updated Google Voice apps and revert back to Hangouts without data loss). Voicemails are visible in both Hangouts and Google Voice apps. Similarly, all Google Voice users (regardless of whether you use Hangouts or the Google Voice apps) can make and receive calls in Hangouts over wifi or mobile data.

The Android and iOS apps are launching as an app update to existing Google Voice apps and will be rolling out over the next weeks. Once you start using one of the new mobile apps, your web experience will also be updated so you can continue to use voice.google.com on web.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to post here in the forum, and we’d be happy to help out!

Thank you!
    Vanessa
    Google Voice Community Manager

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Am I understanding it correctly that the GV app and Hangouts app will now both do essentially the same things in regards to using GV?

Feedback Score
    Not exactly. Hangouts still required to do Hangouts and make VoIP calls. GV app can now do MMS (over WiFi or mobile data) l, so don't have to us Hangouts for that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Am I understanding it correctly that the GV app and Hangouts app will now both do essentially the same things in regards to using GV?

Feedback Score
    Hopefully they add VoIP option to GV, otherwise I still need to keep Hangouts around for the time being.

The fact that they say they are going to keep updating the app regularly gives me hope. I really don't need Hangouts for anything. I didn't like how it forced me to use it as default for all messages. Now I can keep them separate and use GV app for GV number and phone messenger app for regular phone number.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast