Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Shaw's Q1 2017.

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by will888 View Post
    That is if you believe the costs for a S5 Neo is $550 and S7 is $850 or that these phones are worth that much. Often carriers will keep their no contract price high. In fact, the no contract price never changes all the way to the day that it is no longer available for sale.
    But again where can you buy it cheaper? Even if you say overseas than you need to factor in shipping + credit card fees to convert currency

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    Do this without a phone subsidy.
    Why?
    Even if I don't need the subsidy I take the phone & sell it (or if they offer a model I do not want)

Considering the Oneplus 3, xiaomi note/redmi, zenfone, zte devices are quite cheap and capable
    Hey all power to you if you like using noname brands, most of the world prefers Samsung or Apple

The OnePlus 3 is hardly cheap anymore... its what $600 Canadian?
    I got a Samsung S7 for less than that (which most people will say is better phone)

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    Why?
    Even if I don't need the subsidy I take the phone & sell it (or if they offer a model I do not want)

Because I already have a device that works, and I would rather get a plan that is cheap and offers me everything I need which includes a good roaming package. I would rather have them give me a discount on the plan than a device subsidy. It is cheaper to get the plan discount and buy the device outright if I need one than to pay for the subsidization.

Also you can buy Samsung devices at the Samsung experience store at West Edmonton Mall here and many malls across Canada. No need for a carrier subsidization.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    Craigslist and Kijiji are full of ads of people selling "brand new in box" (BNIB) phones obtained in just this way. Unfortunately, for them, they are having to discount them well below what they are worth according to Rogers, Telus, Bell, etc.

When performing your financial calculations, one has to take this discount into consideration. The monthly subsidized numbers tend to be less appealing when this is done. ( ie: you get less for selling the phone.....or, you could purchase the phone outright at the discounted rate.)
    Pixel 2.
    Nexus 5.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skifan View Post
    Craigslist and Kijiji are full of ads of people selling "brand new in box" (BNIB) phones obtained in just this way. Unfortunately, for them, they are having to discount them well below what they are worth according to Rogers, Telus, Bell, etc.

When performing your financial calculations, one has to take this discount into consideration. The monthly subsidized numbers tend to be less appealing when this is done. ( ie: you get less for selling the phone.....or, you could purchase the phone outright at the discounted rate.)
    Buying off Kijiji is a bad idea... most phones that are "BNIB" tend to be reported stolen a few days after you buy them... heard countless stories of this happening and I had it happen to my galaxy s3 after 1.5 years and that phone was bought from your typical independent cellphone store

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by A310 View Post
    . most phones that are "BNIB" tend to be reported stolen a few days after you buy them... heard countless stories of this happening and I had it happen to my galaxy s3 after 1.5 years and that phone was bought from your typical independent cellphone store
    Apart from word of mouth and similar anecdotal reports, are there any documented reports of BNIB ( seal still on the box) phones being reported as stolen?

There must be ways that one can ensure that a purchase is legitimate......not everyone is out to scam you...hopefully.
    Last edited by skifan; 01-21-2017 at 05:56 PM.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Also you can buy Samsung devices at the Samsung experience store at West Edmonton Mall here and many malls across Canada.
    Many malls = 5
    Really?
    Only 1 mall in all of AB (the one you just happened to name lol)

*edit and the Yorkdale ON location is brand new just opened, so really 4 existing malls
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Apart from word of mouth and similar anecdotal reports, are there any documented reports of BNIB ( seal still on the box) phones being reported as stolen?

There must be ways that one can ensure that a purchase is legitimate......not everyone is out to scam you...hopefully.
    It is easy to check, just look at sellers account date
    If someone is dumb enough to buy a BNIB device from an account opened a week before they get what they deserve
    (basically a client through fraud signs up fake account, gets free phone, sells phone & splits)

If an account is open for 2+ years and is an upgrade it is fine to buy

Feedback Score
    You do know that there are people who steal BNIB phones right? My Galaxy S3 was bought wholesale from said cellphone store... when I went to them 1.5 years later when my phone got blacklisted they're like "oh we don't know anything we bought this phone wholesale from t-mobile in the states..." yea...ok... same thing happened to my buddy, bought a brand new in box galaxy s5 from a cell store and his phone got blacklisted after a year... what did the store do? Change the motherboard with a different imei...

The one thing you can do with used or BNIB phones is this. My buddy went and bought an S7 off kijiji locked to Telus... before he bought the phone, he called Telus since that's his provider aswell, and told them he's planning on buying said S7 with said imei... the Telus rep told him the IMEI is clean and that in the event the seller tries to report it stolen or do some funny business the phone wouldn't get blacklisted since he called in and confirmed with the rep he would be the new owner of the phone

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Many people sign the contract, take the phone and then leave without paying for it. Thats when the phone gets blacklisted. Remember you will pay back every penny to your provider that they gave you as subsidy. Selling a phone nets you nothing since you can take the cheaper plan on the BYOD right now. IF you sell for cheaper than the provider price you lose.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus (256GB). iPhone 6S Plus (128GB). iPad 6th Generation (2018) (128GB).
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    I actually had to renegotiate my bundle with Rogers. Since I made changes before the new promo packages came out (mainly getting rid of my 320GB cap when my Xbox One eats 450GB a month and this was last year), I was grandfathered on all of them. Best yet, I got an installation of the Whole Home PVR for free, or else I would've been stuck paying for that. But then again I also have pay-tv channels that I'm paying for.

But then again I don't have to worry about IMEI blacklisting because all my phones are legit (2 Asus Zenfone 2's and a Zenfone 3) and all bought from Staples. I've heard online horror stories in the Asus forums about having a phone bought online and the seller flashing the firmware and sometimes half-*****. But almost all of these cases involved buying the phone outside their geographical region in which the phone is to be sold.

Isin't changing the motherboard with a different IMEI to circumvent blacklisting illegal? I still think it is.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity -> WIND -> Public Mobile -> Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Since you asked, here are a couple I found (most cases are probably unreported):

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/phone...ation-2075343/
    http://forums.redflagdeals.com/just-...kijij-1943557/

Feedback Score
    [quote name="will888" post=16787004]That is if you believe the costs for a S5 Neo is $550 and S7 is $850 or that these phones are worth that much. Often carriers will keep their no contract price high. In fact, the no contract price never changes all the way to the day that it is no longer available for sale.
    But again where can you buy it cheaper? Even if you say overseas than you need to factor in shipping + credit card fees to convert currency[/QUOTE]

My comment was not directed at cheaper sources for carrier phones. There's pretty much one initial source, the carrier. Samsung does operate their own stores and so a tiny fraction of customers can go that route.

Anyway, I was suggesting that carrier phones offer terrible value. Samsung products are generally overpriced. LG G phones are fraught with issues. The no contract price is inflated to give the perception of value in getting a two year term.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using HowardForums

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phoneseeker101 View Post
    Since you asked, here are a couple I found (most cases are probably unreported):

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/phone...ation-2075343/
    http://forums.redflagdeals.com/just-...kijij-1943557/
    But again see the post from kav above
    In both those situations the buyer bought an obviously stolen device (brand new account, fake info used)
    You need to do some due diligence when buying

It's no different than any other expensive purchase
    If your spidey sense is tingling be suspicious
    Even on this forum we have a feedback section to vet sellers

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5