Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Shaw's Q1 2017.

Feedback Score

Shaw's Q1 2017.

For the quarter ending November 30th:

Shaw's wireless revenues down $10 million year over year.
    ARPU also down 1.5% to $36.84
    Added 14,307 postpaid subs since previous quarter... while losing 4,837 prepaid customers... adding only 9,470 new subscribers for last quarter... and losing nearly 21,000 subscribers across all of Shaw's product offerings regardless...

Crazy... and not a good looking quarter at all... pair this with their loss on Shomi... and well, some shareholders are not to be too happy.
    http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/01/12/sh...homi-shutdown/

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Shaw News Release

Q1 Results PDF

In Wireless, we added approximately 9,500 RGUs, a shortfall from the net gains achieved in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2016. The wireless subscriber results reflect our focus on the launch of Freedom Mobile, the rollout of our LTE-Advanced network and significantly heightened competitive activity in the period.

Net 9500 wireless adds, expectations were for around 30,000.
    HoFo effect?

--
    Shaw profit sinks on Shomi wind-down, few new customers
    Globe and Mail, Jan 12
    Last edited by pjw918; 01-13-2017 at 08:59 AM. Reason: updated 30,000 ref. link to Globe article

Feedback Score
    Well....If their services didn't suck so much, maybe the results would've been better.
    In Calgary Shaw offers home internet 150/15, Telus match their prices with 150/150.
    Freedom still sucks when comes to coverage, reliability, speed. I jumped ship to virgin when they offered 4gb for only 40 bucks in November.
    For you to use their LTE, you need a new phone, many have invested close to $1000, S7 edge for example, are stuck on tab for 2 years and can't access LTE.
    They will slowly deploy lte across their network .
    Many new phones released this year still don't support band 66.
    I really don't see a brighter future for Shaw unless they really invest to improve their services.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    The wireless numbers are really bad for a young company trying to grow. But then again, with so many people running to the exits because of competitive offerings from the flanker brands, maybe the tiny increase in subscribers isn't all doom and gloom. If there are no promotions from the flanker brands this quarter, maybe the next set of numbers will be more telling of the real growth rate. If the numbers stagnate another quarter, I sense that Freedom will abandon the current approach of chasing ARPU increase at all costs. Those still hanging onto the regular 3G plans should not take the bait and switch to the LTE plan. Patience will be rewarded with free LTE upgrade.

The one thing that is hard to make sense of is the ARPU going down with so many leaving the prepaid service. Has the loyalty department been working overtime dishing out holiday miracle plans to the post paid customers?

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by will888 View Post
    The wireless numbers are really bad for a young company trying to grow.
    ...with so many people running to the exits because of competitive offerings from the flanker brands
    Not that all the negativity posted here would have an impact.

I strongly encourage the loyal customers to flee this sinking ship.
    it is time to... leave this sinking ship. Freedom does not deserve the loyalty of the old Wind customer base.
    With a little help from your cohorts.

Same protracted behaviour when Mobilicity was desperate for subs.

Device(s)
    Various
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Freedom Mobile is no longer cheap when one add the Tap boost of $25.
    Gone are the days when Wind was really a good deal.
    Leaving or staying is now a choice one have to make and it depends the needs of the person.
    Shaw need to grow their network....Otherwise, the current pricing with the tap is not competitive for people to join the network!

The wireless numbers are really bad for a young company trying to grow. But then again, with so many people running to the exits because of competitive offerings from the flanker brands, maybe the tiny increase in subscribers isn't all doom and gloom. If there are no promotions from the flanker brands this quarter, maybe the next set of numbers will be more telling of the real growth rate. If the numbers stagnate another quarter, I sense that Freedom will abandon the current approach of chasing ARPU increase at all costs. Those still hanging onto the regular 3G plans should not take the bait and switch to the LTE plan. Patience will be rewarded with free LTE upgrade.

The one thing that is hard to make sense of is the ARPU going down with so many leaving the prepaid service. Has the loyalty department been working overtime dishing out holiday miracle plans to the post paid customers?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile (formerly Wind)
    Feedback Score

For many like myself who don't want to miss out on a good plan. Would it make sense to get the $45 plan? And if things change and they give the LTE upgrade on existing plans.

Should I call into retentions later on?

Sent from my SGH-M919V using HoFo mobile app
    I will never buy an HTC ever again! (two broke within 4 years, which were well taken care of)

Learn about price collusion, https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comm...n_of_canadian/ Canada has the highest utility rates in the G7 countries. Say no to price collusion, be informed of the CCTS, Industry Canada and the CRTC. The working class needs affordability in today's society.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity -> WIND -> Public Mobile -> Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Freedom needs to reduce the LTE plan to $35 for a few months then $40 permanently afterwards with 6 GB of "lifetime" LTE data if they want to keep existing customers.

Feedback Score

That's a VERY good question...

Device(s)
    OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pjw918 View Post
    Not that all the negativity posted here would have an impact.

With a little help from your cohorts.

Same protracted behaviour when Mobilicity was desperate for subs.
    A least Freedom has gotten the message now. Many customers aren't happy with the LTE plan pricing, just look at all the forums, people are desperately holding onto their 3G plans for a reason. Shaw isn't a charity, no need to feel sorry for them. Even if Freedom hits the crapper, Shaw isn't going anywhere anytime soon. There's only 2 main companies in BC/AB providing home services so Shaw will always have 50% of the market there since some people don't like Telus and some people don't like Shaw.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pjw918 View Post
    Net 9500 wireless adds, expectations were for around 30,000.
    HoFo effect?
    LOL, all the love and hate that goes on here is a niche snippet of what may actually be going on. You have a lot of original and long-time WiND suers saying "enough is enough" and exiting for more value in their network services.

I don't think Freedom can use the excuse "they're new" anymore... It seems they've sadly hit their market saturation or the market is wising up and voting with their wallets. Either way it's not a good sign for them. They should have been able to continue to sweep in more subscribers with value driven pricing.

This stems from a variety of issues both network and service related issues Freedom has to resolve to start gaining traction again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phoneseeker101 View Post
    A least Freedom has gotten the message now. Many customers aren't happy with the LTE plan pricing, just look at all the forums, people are desperately holding onto their 3G plans for a reason. Shaw isn't a charity, no need to feel sorry for them. Even if Freedom hits the crapper, Shaw isn't going anywhere anytime soon. There's only 2 main companies in BC/AB providing home services so Shaw will always have 50% of the market there since some people don't like Telus and some people don't like Shaw.
    I don't know, Shaw isn't shy about scrapping their investments and selling off the assets...

Shaw sees profit surge 44% on sale of spectrum to Rogers

Shaw to sell Global TV, specialty channels to Corus

Canadian streaming service Shomi shutting down

Device(s)
    OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Perhaps they were giving everyone the i35 plan. It's also not inconceivable that some of Freedoms "premium customers" paying $45+ for 3G may have decided to move to to Big 3 flankers with all the promos they had. That was a big misstep on Freedoms's part, in my opinion. A year ago, I would have assumed that Wind/Freedom would upgrade all their high value $45+ plan customers to LTE for free as a thank-you, but nope. You would think that it would be in their best interest to please the customers that provide Freedom with the most profit. Maybe their tune will change this quarter. Let's hope. Why not offer every current customer an option to upgrade to LTE via a reasonably priced ($3-$5) add-on? Everyone wins. Shaw gets a higher ARPU and many customers will be happy to get LTE for a little bit extra. I know I would have. Grandfathered/loyal customers on the old $30 5GB data plans would now get LTE for $33-$35. Many grandfathered customers would be happy.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phoneseeker101 View Post
    Perhaps they were giving everyone the i35 plan. It's also not inconceivable that some of Freedoms "premium customers" paying $45+ for 3G may have decided to move to to Big 3 flankers with all the promos they had. That was a big misstep on Freedoms's part, in my opinion. A year ago, I would have assumed that Wind/Freedom would upgrade all their high value $45+ plan customers to LTE for free as a thank-you, but nope. You would think that it would be in their best interest to please the customers that provide Freedom with the most profit. Maybe their tune will change this quarter. Let's hope. Why not offer every current customer an option to upgrade to LTE via a reasonably priced ($3-$5) add-on? Everyone wins. Shaw gets a higher ARPU and many customers will be happy to get LTE for a little bit extra. I know I would have. Grandfathered/loyal customers on the old $30 5GB data plans would now get LTE for $33-$35. Many grandfathered customers would be happy.
    What do you think the big 3 does to its "premium" customers paying $100+ / month?

A: They tell you that you have to pay more for no added value. Premium, huh. With an ARPU of $70 / sub they dont give a crap about customers.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    What do you think the big 3 does to its "premium" customers paying $100+ / month?

A: They tell you that you have to pay more for no added value. Premium, huh. With an ARPU of $70 / sub they dont give a crap about customers.
    While that is true, I don't think you can do the same thing to Freedom's user base. Flanker brands that compete Freedom don't usually increase prices like their parent brands. Freedom customers are with Freedom to escape the Big 3's tactics. People are paying $100+ for Big 3 plans when they can get pretty much the same thing for less on a Big 3 flanker. Those people don't have money sense so it doesn't really matter; the Big 3 can ask them for more money and they won't even flinch.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast