Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Slow LTE speed on Fido LTE network Anybody else??

Feedback Score

Slow LTE speed on Fido LTE network Anybody else??

Hi I am currently with fido and I have data text talk plan but my LTE speed is very slow in many different sites the max speed I get for my LTE is 18 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload, I used okla and many different Speedtest app on my iPhone 6s 64 and there is no difference in the speed, so I was wondering if anyone relate to my issue ???

I was At Vancouver international airport last time and my speed was very slow like 18 Mbps download where it used to be 115-125 Mbps same place last year and fido company keeps saying nothing is wrong in the network so please if you relate to my issue report it to fido and here so we can all fix this issue with fido.

I have changed the SIM card 10 times total now and still same , I contacted apple and they said the iPhone 6s is working smoothly with no issues in the hardware. I have tried many different phones at the fido store and many different iPhones with my SIM card and the LTE speed was very slow, that makes it not a phone issue more than a network issue.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5 64GB / Nexus 4 / BB Q5
    Carrier(s)
    Fido / Wind / Telus
    Feedback Score
    What exactly are you doing that requires more then 18Mbps. That's HD Netflix streaming quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QS2k5 View Post
    What exactly are you doing that requires more then 18Mbps. That's HD Netflix streaming quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I guess I pay for LTE speed I should get LTE but most probably fido started the habit of speed throttling , they learned that from freedom mobile ... but I am being patient with fido so far if they are not going to bring me the speed I was getting before I will take proper action for that.

I am sure you do not know what is the acceptable speed for LTE network,so reference to my post I believe there is a huge gap between 60 80 115 or 125 Mbps and 18 Mbps I would say 18 Mbps is more like A+ or 3G speed. If I was not getting those speeds before I would be curious about what is the acceptable LTE speed at certain site but not when I made a Speedtest before and I have in mind what the speed should be.

But anyway thanks for your input. Happy holiday

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Testing at a densely-packed location (like an airport) or at a time with a surge of new subscribers (Christmas, or start of school year in September) is going to give less than optimal results. It used to be much worse in past years before LTE, with some areas experiencing failure due to traffic loads. What you are experiencing is a luxury, not a deprivation.

Device(s)
    Iphone 6 Plus
    Feedback Score
    Well out in the country where I work just a few minutes away from London, speeds are often around 10-20mbps. Which is plenty fast for me, and I even have unlimited data with my fido plan. In fact the city is usually anywhere from 10-50mbps where I live. Speeds will vary often. I think the thing for you to look at is your ping or latency. If they are anything above 80pings or so depending on where you live, maybe there is a problem. But 18mbps more then enough for almost anyone. If you are worried about speed, look at your latency then.

Device(s)
    Iphone 6 Plus
    Feedback Score
    No, 18 Mbps that's actually good enough for 4K Netflix streaming haha.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    Testing at a densely-packed location (like an airport) or at a time with a surge of new subscribers (Christmas, or start of school year in September) is going to give less than optimal results. It used to be much worse in past years before LTE, with some areas experiencing failure due to traffic loads. What you are experiencing is a luxury, not a deprivation.
    What you say regarding jam hours apply only for a short period of time now for almost a month now 24/7 !!! And no it's not a luxury more than it's a dead speed for LTE. I am in the process of video taping the fido LTE speed with my other friends and planing to go public on the news and post a youtube video so people can see how super fast fido,s LTE network till fido stops that bad habit of speed throttling for certain customers.

Considering what you say is write , then what is your justification about poor LTE speed when I am 20 meter away from a rogers/fido 2100/2600 MHz tower and ran a speed test and get only 25 Mbps ????? Is that considered densely packed location again ??? !!! Is it considered Xmas time as well ??? !!!! .

So I will not settle for anything less than 80 Mbps download.

Also I do not have to justify what I need the speed for when I pay fido my full payment every month, so fido should stop that speed throttling habit before it gets escalated to CRTC Complaint. I have gathered all the documents and have them handy.

Thanks for your understanding. Happy holiday

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_2258 View Post
    Well out in the country where I work just a few minutes away from London, speeds are often around 10-20mbps. Which is plenty fast for me, and I even have unlimited data with my fido plan. In fact the city is usually anywhere from 10-50mbps where I live. Speeds will vary often. I think the thing for you to look at is your ping or latency. If they are anything above 80pings or so depending on where you live, maybe there is a problem. But 18mbps more then enough for almost anyone. If you are worried about speed, look at your latency then.
    Thanks for your input, however the issue is not a ping timing . I was in same locations a month before and I was getting 115 Mbps with a ping 19 ms and now when I run a speed test same place with same or less ping timing I am getting 18 Mbps download and 4 Mbps upload for LTE.

Listen I am aware that roger is introducing the LTE Advanced which is 300+ Mbps and roger owns fido now but that does not mean whipping old customers who are on LTE network and throttling their LTE speed just to keep those customer on LTE advanced happy !!! We LTE users pay money as well so things should go back to normal before the mud becomes more wet.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1482835377.651316.jpg
Views: 1996
Size:  47.2 KB

This was taken from Vancouver international airport where I ran a speed test same place approximately a month ago and it was 115/98/100 Mbps download speed. Look at the reception signal as well ... 2 bars in core Vancouver city !!!

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyHunter76 View Post
    What you say regarding jam hours apply only for a short period of time now for almost a month now 24/7 !!! And no it's not a luxury more than it's a dead speed for LTE. I am in the process of video taping the fido LTE speed with my other friends and planing to go public on the news and post a youtube video so people can see how super fast fido,s LTE network till fido stops that bad habit of speed throttling for certain customers.

Considering what you say is write , then what is your justification about poor LTE speed when I am 20 meter away from a rogers/fido 2100/2600 MHz tower and ran a speed test and get only 25 Mbps ????? Is that considered densely packed location again ??? !!! Is it considered Xmas time as well ??? !!!! .
    You are now offering a bit more information than before, but it's still lacking in specifics for dates, or subscriptions (yours, someone else's, Rogers vs. Fido, etc). So, are your friends actually experiencing the same thing?

Here is my speculation: the network operator learned from past years and, without announcing it, started throttling subscribers to a speed that was adequate for all foreseeable real-world usage until they could assess and adjust for new network demand. They might have started this before Christmas to be proactive instead of the rather unfortunate reactive solutions that happened previously (with lots of people getting no throughput at all).

In other words, you can go public and get a response similar to what I speculate, or not. Even if you do nothing, higher speed service will likely return within weeks, after they complete adjustments.

The dip in signal power at a previously known location is an indicator that they are making adjustments. It could also be an automatic function of the tower to changed demand.

Also, being that close to the tower (referring to your 20m comment) could lead to it lowering power for everyone just because of amplifier overload risk. My knowledge of this is decades old, and so I might be rather out of date w.r.t. modern design considerations. But basically, you are still sharing capacity with others within range, even when you are close.

So I will not settle for anything less than 80 Mbps download.
    I can appreciate that they did not give you straight answers. Some public pressure might get better answers, especially if it is accompanied by objective evidence of multiple subscribers having the same issue. If my speculation about network modifications is correct, it will likely not speed up their work, though. They were probably just hoping to quietly get it all done before the lower quality of service was noticed.

Also I do not have to justify what I need the speed for when I pay fido my full payment every month, so fido should stop that speed throttling habit before it gets escalated to CRTC Complaint. I have gathered all the documents and have them handy.
    You can lodge a complaint if you like. I expect that it will only have effect if you can demonstrate a specific loss of service. I am not one of the people asking how you could need higher speed. I'm just predicting an a bureaucrat would want you to quantify the loss past just failure to meet the upper end of the advertised speed.

Thanks for your understanding. Happy holiday
    Best wishes for getting full service.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    If this helps you, I am on Telus (hopefully soon Fido). At busy places like Toronto Pearson, LTE crawls. By that I mean it's impossible to browse **** on your phone because it's so damn slow. Speed test is out of question.

In big areas LTE crawls for all carriers. It's not just you.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    Those speeds are slow if you're on band 7, not super uncommon for band 4 and pretty decent for band 12/17. Neither the CRTC or the media are going to care that you're getting those speeds, they're quite usable. In the relatively recent PCmag report, Bell outperformed Rogers a bit on speed in Vancouver, you could switch and try them if getting 18 mpbs down every once in a while is a huge burden for you.

Device(s)
    Iphone 6 Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    If this helps you, I am on Telus (hopefully soon Fido). At busy places like Toronto Pearson, LTE crawls. By that I mean it's impossible to browse **** on your phone because it's so damn slow. Speed test is out of question.

In big areas LTE crawls for all carriers. It's not just you.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using HoFo mobile app
    Last time I was at Toronto Pearson, I was getting over 100mbps easy. 111mbps to be exact at 5:00pm. That was just in late October. I've never experienced Rogers LTE crawl at all in the big cities when I have been there, at least not Toronto or London at all. Though I don't go to Toronto that often. Maybe a few times a year.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crab9000 View Post
    Those speeds are slow if you're on band 7, not super uncommon for band 4 and pretty decent for band 12/17. Neither the CRTC or the media are going to care that you're getting those speeds, they're quite usable. In the relatively recent PCmag report, Bell outperformed Rogers a bit on speed in Vancouver, you could switch and try them if getting 18 mpbs down every once in a while is a huge burden for you.
    The media will have a big influence , you telling me if someone hear this discussion live they are going to activate a plan with fido ???!! Who is going to do that ? So if I go live and somebody else does ,we all together will have a huge influence on the carrier till they bring back the speed they used to provide for their current customers and new ones, and I am sure fido does not like to see their customers switching to other carrier that's from business perspective.

Fido learned that bad habit of speed throttling from freedom mobile , but at least freedom mobile advertise it on their website using terms ( full speed /and half speed at certain time) where fido only advertise it as Data package with anonymous speed , and no one knows what's going on behind the desk.

The CRTC suppose to be the regulator so they will care dude when they see complains about data speed. The word regulator explains it all such as 110 Volts input and constant 5 volts is the output.

Feedback Score
    Last time I was at Toronto Pearson, I was getting over 100mbps easy. 111mbps to be exact at 5:00pm. That was just in late October. I've never experienced Rogers LTE crawl at all in the big cities when I have been there, at least not Toronto or London at all. Though I don't go to Toronto that often. Maybe a few times a year.
    I know that dude , see I know what LTE speed suppose to be because I was getting those speed 111/100/90 Mbps download before when I ran a speed test on the same site and now the most I get is 18/25 Mbps download and 4 Mbps upload speed.

The carrier obviously they going to blame it on the phone or the SIM card but I tell the public I have tried fido phones from the store directly and many different iPhones with 10 different SIM card with my current active number and the LTE speed was poor.

(SO ITS NOT A PHONE ISSUE MORE THAN A NETWORK ISSUE . )

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast