Thread: Help: Such a nightmare dealing with Bell... what are my options now?

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Help: Such a nightmare dealing with Bell... what are my options now?

Have a dispute with Bell over a device issue... been tossed around... not sure what to do now... any suggestions welcome. If litigation is the only way to go... I am willing to pursue

TLDR at bottom

Long story:
    Here's what happened:
    November 29, 2015 - I signed up for a 2 yr contract, along with 6 other lines, for 7 lines total. (the date is important)

September 17, 2016 - My device (Blackberry Priv) started going into bootloop. Sent in into bell for repairs.

September 28, 2016 - Went in and picked up a refurbished device, apparently the previous one could not be repaired... and this is where my nightmare started

October 29, 2016 - Sent in the refurbished device in again, because screen went haywire, can't get it to behave properly as it is suppose to... At this point I believed it was either the screen or something on the IC board is faulty, mentioned this to the rep, but this is what they put in the notes to the techs (the side button doesn't always work, the sound levels are not consistent, the wifi connection isn't always stable, the touchscreen/keyboard becomes less responsive and it doesn't take the right input. did factory reset if still doesn't work). The notes came back as repaired and "defective parts replaced cover)

November 10, 2016 - Received the device back, with the rep claiming the device was repaired. After spending 5-6 hours re-setting up my device (it's essentially my office I use for work) the issue returned, again spend a few hours trouble shooting, but even after resets it doesn't fix the issue

November 18, 2016 - Sent in the phone AGAIN

November 28, 2016 - After 2 weeks, I get a call from the store, saying the phone was sent back WITHOUT being repaired... Store did not know why. I had to call in the next day to the call center, to find out the phone had a wrong IMEI inputted, and it was returned because it's not in the system... but apparently they tested it as per manufacturer's standards (as per the note in their online status)... not sure for what...

December 13, 2016 - I FINALLY get the device back after a month... they replaced a sticker on a defective part (as per the note in their online status)

December 13, 2016.... later on - I started setting up the phone again, for the third time after receiving it back... aaaaand... it's still defective... At this point, I try to call in to get the issues resolved... HOWEVER, I was basically told, from multiple reps, anything from either "my hands are tied, there is nothing I can do" to "sucks to be you, we cant/wont do anything for you"

one of the reps said there's nothing else they could do unless I send in the phone again. However, with my previous experiences, the company either has incompetent techs, or their policy just don't want to replace the phone... so I refuse to waste another 2 weeks, and then half a day after getting the phone back to setup and test, only to find out it's defective still...

The best I was offered was to essentially for them to buy out my contract, so I can sign up for a NEW 2 yr contract, and be tied down for another 2 years. However, the way I look at it, is I should be placed back in the SAME SITUATION I would've been IF THIS ISSUE WERE NOT TO HAPPEN (their refurbished phone, their incompetent techs, THEIR terrible service) But their solution would short me an extra $400 by the end of next year, when my contract is suppose to end. Although I can afford the $400, but at this point, I think I've been treated badly enough I wouldn't want to pay for it, out of a matter of principle...

One of the reps suggested I deal with Blackberry directly, and at this point I tried calling Blackberry. Yet conveniently, the warranty is no longer valid.

I have spoken with customer reps all the way up to the escalation team, which gave me the same spiel of "there's nothing we can do" with a dose of extra manners...

I'm unsure what remedies I have. Although I can, I don't want to send in the phone again for repairs, because it would just come back defective again, and waste my own time trying to setup a phone only to find out that it's defective again after some usage...

At this point I have wasted a good 20-30 hours trying to solve the issue. I have lost business because of this whole thing, so I want to get this resolved. I understand the contracts are written in a way where they cannot be sued. However, I had one of my lawyers look into this, and apparently I could sue for damages through the small claims system here in BC, although I have to drag blackberry in as well, which is why this is not a desired solution, because the crap service didn't come from blackberry, it came from Bell.

I did file a complaint at the CCTS. However, I do not know if they can help, and even if they could, how much they are able to help, as I understand they are an organization that acts as mediator and not arbitrator...

Any suggestions would be welcome, and I would prefer not to go the litigation route. Thanks. And sorry for the long post.

TLDR: Bell gave me a refurbished unit after my phone was apparently not repairable. The refurbished phone then proceeded to be sent in multiple times for one single issue, spanning 3 MONTHS, including one time when it was sent in and sent back because their store rep had entered the IMEI wrong. The most intensive repair documented was replacing some stickers on the phone. Phone still faulty, Bell refusing to replace it with another refurbished phone, and their phone reps basically just told me it's too bad and they cant/wont do anything about it. Manufacturer warranty also expired a few weeks ago. Considering to sue bell for damages but it would be last resort
    Last edited by luxferre; 12-19-2016 at 12:41 PM. Reason: contract date was last yr not this yr, added TLDR

Feedback Score
    Do t buy a blackberry again

Sent from my FRD-L04 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    You mention date is important but story didn't make sense?

Signed contract on Nov 29 2016
    But your phone broke on Sep 17 2016
    ???
    Then Dec 13 2016 they offer to get new contract with new phone?

It really depends on what is wrong with phone as to what remedy you have, but even if device is defective and Bell can not fix this does not get you out of your contract... at best it gets you a refurb phone

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    You mention date is important but story didn't make sense?

Signed contract on Nov 29 2016
    But your phone broke on Sep 17 2016
    ???
    Then Dec 13 2016 they offer to get new contract with new phone?

It really depends on what is wrong with phone as to what remedy you have, but even if device is defective and Bell can not fix this does not get you out of your contract... at best it gets you a refurb phone
    Sorry, original contract date should be Nov 29, 2015. Essentially the date is there to show the manufacturer's warranty is expired.

And the thing is they dont have a refurb priv to offer. Although they did give me one. If they gave me a working condition refurb Priv I wouldn't be here trying to figure out what I can do...

I still believe this device has issues with the IC board. I have mentioned that to the reps when I dropped it off every single time. They just looked at me weird and told me their techs would do the trouble shooting

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't bother suing Bell, it's gonna take a long time to resolve and gonna cost you money. Just get a used phone and be done with it.

I would suggest buying another phone on swappa.com
    be careful on Kijiji, a lot of people get scammed and buy a phone that works for two weeks then gets the IMEI Blacklisted. I also would stay away from Blackberry for phones, get an iPhone or Android device.

Carrier(s)
    Chat-r; PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    OP mentioned small claim court, it shouldn't cost much money via that route.

Sent from my C6806 using HoFo mobile app
    No longer on a leash by Fido

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortissimo View Post
    OP mentioned small claim court, it shouldn't cost much money via that route.

Sent from my C6806 using HoFo mobile app
    ON small claims is $250+
    Then he needs to win and pay more to enforce order
    Considering a brand new Priv is $500, it is beyond pointless

Small claims (like most courts) are a total scam and worthless unless you either have money for lawyers or are flat broke so can claim legal aid

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    ON small claims is $250+
    Then he needs to win and pay more to enforce order
    Considering a brand new Priv is $500, it is beyond pointless

Small claims (like most courts) are a total scam and worthless unless you either have money for lawyers or are flat broke so can claim legal aid
    Actually if I were to go the small claims route the claim would be close to maximum allowed for small claims here in BC. Would be somewhere around 20k damage in time wasted and business losses. But realistically even if I win the courts would likely award no more than 10k, so it is a fairly pointless exercise for the time and energy involved...

I ended up going the CCTS route. I dont think what i'm asking for is ridiculous, to be put back in the same situation I would be if it weren't for their incompetence...
    One thing I've learned though through this exercise Rogers train their reps much MUCH better...

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by luxferre View Post
    One thing I've learned though through this exercise Rogers train their reps much MUCH better...
    I personally feel Bell has always been the weakest of the big3

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    From what I've read of your situation, the CCTS could may actually be able to help. It depends on what you are asking for in your resolution. If you like, PM your incident number, and I'll take a look at what you've written.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tbooth View Post
    From what I've read of your situation, the CCTS could may actually be able to help. It depends on what you are asking for in your resolution. If you like, PM your incident number, and I'll take a look at what you've written.
    Is there a way to see the status of the complaint by just knowing the incident number?

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Bell called right after CCTS's file was updated with "no response after 15 days" I now have a credit totaling up to a new Priv, so I'm just going to get one from BB and get it done with.

I dont understand why it has to be like pulling teeth in order for them to do something right... Seems like at the end of this contract, I'm leaving Bell and going back to Rogers...

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    I dont understand why it has to be like pulling teeth in order for them to do something right... Seems like at the end of this contract, I'm leaving Bell and going back to Rogers...
    Rogers is no better. No response to my complaint after almost 15 days.
    Bell SK+fongo:
    $85 Unlimited NA, NA text, US Roaming, 15GB

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fruvous View Post
    Rogers is no better. No response to my complaint after almost 15 days.
    Apparently you have to send CCTS another message after 15 days for them to get back to you. That's exactly what I did.

They finally replaced the screen on the phone. Now it works. However I am no longer under contract, and they did at least credit me something around 700 bucks for the whole incident. Is it worth it? no. But at least the issue is finally solved...

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    Apparently you have to send CCTS another message after 15 days for them to get back to you. That's exactly what I did.
    Actually, I'm waiting out the full 30 days, then I can just say "Screw you Rogers!" and go straight to getting them to render a decision.