Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Effectively forced to switch from grandfathered plan. Any way around it?

Device(s)
    Iphone X Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vip07 View Post
    Minor point: Guam is a US territory. It would be reasonable for a lay person to assume that there is probably no roaming there.
    Yet many people think Puerto Rico is a foreign country needing a passport. It has a native tmo network and LTE speeds.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If they're pushing you into a plan that's $25/month more expensive, that's an extra $300/yr (forever). Depending how much you roam in Guam, probably not worth it. When traveling internationally on my grandfathered plan, I always put the phone in Airplane mode and turn on WiFi. That way, I'm only making calls and using data on WiFi and not connecting to a local network. Doing it that way avoids a number or problems like charges for calls bounced to voicemail, text messages and random data charges (in Canada, for example, I was always getting charged for hundreds of one cent data charges at all hours of the day - TMobile had no explanation for it).

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the comment, but I disagree. If there is a switch called "data roaming off" then it should do exactly that. Why would anyone have to dig into short codes or keep the device turned off?
    You don't need to dig into short codes or keep the device turned off. You simply turn off the cellular data in the settings as described on the Apple Support page:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201299

Not a big deal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    You don't need to dig into short codes or keep the device turned off. You simply turn off the cellular data in the settings as described on the Apple Support page:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201299

Not a big deal.
    Yup, and as you may notice in the screenshot of my post the roaming data was turned off!

Quote Originally Posted by ericok View Post
    ...in Canada, for example, I was always getting charged for hundreds of one cent data charges at all hours of the day - TMobile had no explanation for it.
    Now this is interesting. Because upon digging through my detailed bills for the past six months I also noticed this. There is almost always a tiny charge for data roaming of about 0.1 - 0.5MB (<$1 to a few dollars). I had never really paid attention to this before. But it is consistently there.

If T-mobile is charging some portion of its customers this tiny charge, it will add up. Perhaps 1% of the 50 million customers @ $1 each month, that's $0.5M/mo. $6M/year - not much in the big scheme of things cellular but not entirely negligible either.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    I was connected to data and charged $15/mb. Guam and Germany. In both cases about $100 total before I received text about excessive data charges and shut off cell service completely. Have a screenshot from my phone showing data roaming set to off, yet connected to (in Guam) DOCOMO LTE.
    Google Project Fi has insanely cheap rates in Guam. https://fi.google.com/about/rates/?country=GU

Too bad you have to get a particular phone from them.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=vip07;16767409]Yup, and as you may notice in the screenshot of my post the roaming data was turned off!/QUOTE]

Obviously you only looked at the screenshot and did not read the article that was linked. It states at the beginning to turn the cellular data off.... Not the roaming data as you stated you turned off.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The title of this thread was pretty much a clickbait for me, since I was pretty sure that TMO publicly stated that they will not force any grandfathered users off.

With that said, yes there is a way around it - pay your bill since it is your issue with not knowing how to use roaming properly. If you do plan to leave the country often, maybe it's time to change your plan.

Feedback Score
    I am on an old 1000 min 4 line family plan, with tzones. No messaging, no international roaming. But still like the plan for it's unlimited domestic data.

Well, as I often travel abroad, I've been recently hit by roaming data charges. In both cases my iphone 6 had roaming turned off, yet I was connected to data and charged $15/mb. Guam and Germany. In both cases about $100 total before I received text about excessive data charges and shut off cell service completely. Have a screenshot from my phone showing data roaming set to off, yet connected to (in Guam) DOCOMO LTE.

I called customer service, they promised they would remove the first data charge but never did. After the second occurrence I called again and was given a run-around (from regular rep to a supervisor). They said they would consider removing if I switched to one of the new (and for me) about $25/mo more expensive plans (I pay about $75/mo now). Otherwise, no removing. They would not listen to me about the roaming being set to off etc.

So basically, they are forcing me to switch (or face being slammed with some random future data charges, which are no fault of mine).

Any suggestions?
    OP, while your situation is undersirable, I find the title misleading and your describtion overly embelish the whole situation. Look, there is the airplane mode button, use it. Otherwise, man up to the consequences.

"Effectively forced to switch from grandfathered plan" REALLY??? You roamed, you pay. I am sure T-mobile is passing on those charges from their roaming partners but what the heck does it have to do with being *forced* to do anything? Sounds like the OP is one of those kids laying on the floor of the supermarket screaming murder because the parents didn't give them what they wanted.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sfkn2 View Post
    The title of this thread was pretty much a clickbait for me, since I was pretty sure that TMO publicly stated that they will not force any grandfathered users off.

With that said, yes there is a way around it - pay your bill since it is your issue with not knowing how to use roaming properly. If you do plan to leave the country often, maybe it's time to change your plan.
    Yup, totally a click bait but I don't think it was intentionally. Just a overly dramatic OP.

Feedback Score
    To OP, tweet John L. or email him. He doesn't take stuff like this lightly.

Feedback Score
    I agree with the folks saying the thread title is click bait. No one is "effectively" forcing you to change your plan, they're offering it as an alternative to paying the money you rightfully owe. Yes, rightfully- T-Mobile is not responsible for you not paying close enough attention to whether or not your phone was using data.

I don't blame you for being upset that the software in your phone didn't operate as intended, but frankly the response you're getting from customer support is just a result them being too flakey to tell you you're being unreasonable in expecting t-mobile to take responsibility for what the software in your phone did.

In summary, my suggestion is to pay the bill, keep the plan you like, and not rely on that setting anymore. That's your "way around" changing away from your grandfathered plan.
    Last edited by shinkinrui; 12-19-2016 at 11:21 PM.

Feedback Score
    Didn't mean to be misleading here, but T-mo reps clearly stated they would only consider reversing charges if I switched plans. Of course this upset me as I did not feel responsible for technical glitches.

As a sidenote to some posters who say this is a device issue. In my other post where I discuss a slew of similar (but tiny) charges, I posted a response from Apple engineering who say it is a network issue, not device.

See here.

Feedback Score
    If you have an official response from Apple specifically saying that the phone using data while roaming while that switch is set to off is the fault of T-Mobile, then you have a compelling case for someone(higher up than customer care) to reverse these charges. A lot of the time customer service reps operate off of common sense, and common sense would say this is a device issue(device setting not functioning as intended). I know you said you've already tried emailing them, but I would really try again. If you have a twitter, send a tweet to John too. What someone else said is true, the executive team doesn't take stuff like this lightly; if a major device partner is saying there is a problem with T-Mobile's network/network settings and you bring it to the attention of John Legere/ executive response, you're likely to get a favorable outcome. Make sure you mention that Apple has said this is a T-Mobile problem in your email.
    EDIT: I read the response in the thread linked and it seems to me that the Apple rep is carefully tiptoeing around saying it's a T-Mobile problem; they specifically say it's the fault of the networks you "are traveling to," meaning The roaming partner not identifying properly as roaming. That muddies up the issue, as a T-Mobile executive would now have grounds to say something along the lines of "well we will try to work with our roaming partners to get them to address this flaw in their network, but the fact is your phone still used that data while roaming and it is not the fault of T-Mobile." Still worth a shot though. I also noticed that Apple told you not to rely on that switch and just turn data completely off when traveling as well; Hopefully you take this advice to heart
    Last edited by shinkinrui; 12-22-2016 at 06:03 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shinkinrui View Post
    ...you bring it to the attention of John Legere/ executive response, you're likely to get a favorable outcome. Make sure you mention that Apple has said this is a T-Mobile problem in your email....
    Thanks for the suggestion. I went this route earlier today. After 2h or so of very slow back and forth T-mo suddenly offered to remove 50% of roaming charges. I was certainly getting tired of all this (they must count on it) so I just agreed... Which makes me wonder if they may be aware of other similar glitches on their end.

Feedback Score
    Speak to retentions. If you have such an old plan, youve been with them a while. Threaten to cancel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast