Thread: Can a Prepaid SIM starter kit be used with a postpaid plan?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score

Can a Prepaid SIM starter kit be used with a postpaid plan?

I am looking to activate a T-Mobile Simple Choice 2GB line that includes the free throttled International roaming.
    If I go directly thru T-Mobile it seems the SIM starter kit is $20. My question is, is it possible to buy a Prepaid SIM Starter Kit via Best Buy and then call T-Mobile and have them activate the SC 2GB plan (do the credit check, etc.) on post paid. The bottom line is is there a difference prior to activation between the Prepaid Starter Kit's and the Postpaid one I would be receiving thru the website? Specifically the SIM Kit I'm looking at is this one.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/t-mobile...?skuId=8699899

Feedback Score
    I used a T-Mobile prepaid kit when my Mom needed a micro SIM when she changed phones. She is on my brothers family plan which is post paid.

Sent from my Wonderful LG Phoenix 2

Feedback Score
    I have handed T-Mobile sales person at the store a prepaid starter kit and he had no issues activating it to add a line in my plan.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    You should have no problem. I used 2 Best Buy sim kits to activate the two free line promo last month at a T-Mobile store. One on a voice line and one data line for an iPad.

Feedback Score
    Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Looks like I shouldn't have a problem. Thanks everyone!

Carrier(s)
    Only SPCS
    Feedback Score
    Yeppp. No issues whatsoever. It's just a SIM card.

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    I bought several SIM kit from Best Buy, and the SIM can be setup with your calling/data plan.

Optimum/Cablevision

Feedback Score
    But will it work internationally? Or are the prepaid SIM card numbers blocked from international data use and 20 cent calling as they are for prepaid use?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skierrob View Post
    But will it work internationally? Or are the prepaid SIM card numbers blocked from international data use and 20 cent calling as they are for prepaid use?
    No, the account the SIM is tied to determines things like international roaming. Has nothing to do with the SIM.

Feedback Score
    I called T-Mobile and asked them this and they said they either have to send you a SIM, or you go into a store. They can't activate an account without seeing you in person or mailing something to you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGPRS View Post
    I called T-Mobile and asked them this and they said they either have to send you a SIM, or you go into a store. They can't activate an account without seeing you in person or mailing something to you.
    I think that goes along with posts #3 and #4 in this thread. In both of those examples, the person took the prepaid SIM they had in their possession into the store to activate a line.

But for telesales it appears they are setup to only activate the line by sending out a new SIM to you. (and charging you the fee.)

Now once you have a line, you can add a prepaid SIM to an existing postpaid account with no problem.