Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Thread: New Verizon Site Going Up

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    I'm guessing that they upgrade panels mostly so that they don't end up overloading the tower with a whole boatload of panels for every different band they add over time, but with B2/5 LTE, what would stop an LTE site from using antennas from the CDMA or even AMPS days? Isn't an antenna for 850mhz an antenna for 850 mhz at the end of the day?
    You're correct and with legacy sites I've seen the older B5 antenna hooked up to a B5 radio however the advantage of using the newer panels gives them better control over the signal and in some cases the radio might only allow you to use B13 and B5 over the same ports. Also having a dedicated B5 antenna for LTE allows you to keep the CDMA 850 antenna operating separate for now until the shutdown date.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    You're correct and with legacy sites I've seen the older B5 antenna hooked up to a B5 radio however the advantage of using the newer panels gives them better control over the signal and in some cases the radio might only allow you to use B13 and B5 over the same ports. Also having a dedicated B5 antenna for LTE allows you to keep the CDMA 850 antenna operating separate for now until the shutdown date.
    Gotcha. That all makes sense. I guess adding a combiner to put LTE and CDMA on the same panel would just introduce more loss into the line? Or just for easier removal of the CDMA panels when CDMA eventually shuts down?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile)
    Feedback Score

New Verizon Site Going Up

I know that RET (remote electrical tilt) panels became popular a few years ago, so when switching from CDMA to LTE they’d likely want to switch to the RET capable panels too. Some of the buildings permits I’ve seen will include the panel model numbers, so I’ve been able to look up the differences on commscope.com

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk
    Check out my Reno Area Wireless Information & Cellular Guide website for cell site location maps, pictures & more https://RenoWirelessInfo.com

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    I'm guessing that they upgrade panels mostly so that they don't end up overloading the tower with a whole boatload of panels for every different band they add over time, but with B2/5 LTE, what would stop an LTE site from using antennas from the CDMA or even AMPS days? Isn't an antenna for 850mhz an antenna for 850 mhz at the end of the day?
    Some of the AT&T sites here seem overloaded with 4 panels of different lengths on each sector.

Feedback Score

I have not seen
    Last edited by vartanarsen; 06-15-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoWirelessGuru View Post
    Some of the AT&T sites here seem overloaded with 4 panels of different lengths on each sector.
    AT&T and Verizon have more panels on their sites, but look at the menagerie of bands and technologies that they have, especially AT&T. Some are close together, but even when you don't count 4 since it's a subset of 66, and 29 and 14 since they are close to 12/17, they still have have 5 major bands. But they you look at the history of retrofits, and whatever technical concerns there are, you you end up with a LOT of antennas. Verizon has 4 major bands.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    A new VZW tower featured earlier in the thread still has not gone live. The last noticeable activity was April 8 and April 18 where it looks like the site construction was done.
    This new “tower” that appeared complete in late April finally went live in the past day. PCID 93, 94, 95 and 116. Speeds on Band 4 (15 MHz) is usable - a test on either Band 2 or 5 (5 MHz each) not-so-much.

A few odd things I noticed:
    1. EARFCN 2125 is showing as Band 4. All other sites in town I’ve noticed it showing 2125 as Band 66 - so no MFBI on this site?

2. Band 5 is only 5 MHz- other sites in town that have been upgraded in the past year have 10 MHz of Band 5.

3. I didn’t see Band 13 as primary or CA, but I did see it in the EUTRA Neighbor Info menu.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Wish I had a 5G device to test here. Pretty sure these are new Verizon 5G nodes about 1500 feet apart near M59 and Schoenher roads in Shelby Twp, MI. Very inconspicuous unless you're looking for them

Name:  Screenshot_20190812-171206_Gallery.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  14.4 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20190812-171156_Gallery.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  24.0 KB

Feedback Score
    Here’s a new site near me almost ready to go live...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fgpalm View Post
    Here’s a new site near me almost ready to go live...
    I’m curious why the panels are placed side-by-side, whereas the 2 latest new sites here pictured below have the panels separated?

Name:  IMG_2954.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  56.5 KBName:  IMG_4298.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  67.6 KB

Perhaps
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    has some insight on that?

Feedback Score

I’m curious why the panels are placed side-by-side, whereas the 2 latest new sites here pictured below have the panels separated?

The newest Verizon site around here is using the double panel arrangement. It makes no sense to me unless it leaves room for future expansion. I suppose there is a reason they use double panels.

Reminds me of agonizing over stereo speaker arrangement. Side by side looks nice and neat and sounds good but moving stereo speakers further apart and placing them at angles reaches a larger room. But then again it’s sound so the music from the stereo speakers bounces around no matter their exact position. So the neat side by side setup wins because the speakers fit neatly on a bookshelf?

Maybe these cellular panels require less support or. Radio head can power two or they are quicker to mount.

Sprint in the area seems to enjoy moving the panels from the points of triangular towers to the flat side. Not sure on the reasoning on that either, but probably something to do with ease of mounting or weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

I just discovered this new Verizon site (bottom platform), co-located with AT&T. I initially didn’t see the permit for it because it was classified as a “Commercial Alteration” rather than “Telecommunications”.

The site isn’t on-the-air yet, but will provide much needed fill-in and extra capacity. A fun/bowling center a block away currently has no VZW service inside much of the facility.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Verizon is finally starting to build a new site that’s going in between two sites serving a busy shopping corridor in my area. One of the sites is so overloaded that you can’t pass any data at times even if you’re not depri.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27