Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Deteriorating service in NYC

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Deteriorating service in NYC

It seems that the service in the metro NYC area has deteriorated quite a bit. Places where we had excellent service is now 1 bar and the quality of the call is so bad you can hardly make out what the person on the other line is saying. In addition, my Speedtest may show a fast connection but webpages load slow or take a while to open.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy26 View Post
    It seems that the service in the metro NYC area has deteriorated quite a bit. Places where we had excellent service is now 1 bar and the quality of the call is so bad you can hardly make out what the person on the other line is saying. In addition, my Speedtest may show a fast connection but webpages load slow or take a while to open.

What carrier?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroned3222 View Post
    What carrier?...
    One would assume, since this is a T-Mobile forum, that dieselguy26 is asking about T-Mobile. His is the first post that I've seen asking about this. In fact, NYC complaints have been pretty few and far between since T-Mobile installed 700 MHz there. I assume that the network is undergoing a constant tweaking and optimization and they may have created some dead spots in the process.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score

Deteriorating service in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy26 View Post

How is call quality bad on AMR-WB? That's never been the case. Even at "1 bar"
    Last edited by albert1735; 11-16-2016 at 02:23 PM.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6610, Touch Pro II, Lumia 640, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (Since Omnipoint!)
    Feedback Score
    I only have a problem when my phone jumps onto the numerous wifi spots. LinkNYC and CableWifi/TWCWifi frequently suck and when the phone auto connects to them suddenly I have serious problems usually with drop outs. When on LTE I have no problems and with B12 I even get service in places I never used to like in the elevators in my building or the stalls in the men's room As an example I can start a stream of BBC Radio on my office floor, ride 20 floors down in the elevator and walk down to the subway, get on a train and only lose the stream when the train is 200 yards into the tunnel.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    It seems that Queens gets all the love in terms of 3xCA and speed boosts, then they expand inward towards the other boroughs. But I have noticed that speeds aren't what they used to be. I take it the towers are more congested now with the amount of people on T-Mobile.

AT&T might not have as big of a deal since they are rolling out fresh band 29 and band 30 spectrum and there are only a few devices that support band 29 and band 30. So they will see some boosts in speeds.

T-Mobile is expanding on band 2.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    One thing I'm surprised about is how little of the NYC infrastructure T-Mobile has physically upgraded as they're still running off of panels and RRUs that were installed for 3G outside of the recent addition of some B12 work. I guess if they're still performing somewhat well it shows some good future proofing on their part when this equipment was installed some 7-8 years ago.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    One thing I'm surprised about is how little of the NYC infrastructure T-Mobile has physically upgraded as they're still running off of panels and RRUs that were installed for 3G outside of the recent addition of some B12 work. I guess if they're still performing somewhat well it shows some good future proofing on their part when this equipment was installed some 7-8 years ago.
    The flat panels have at least been around since 2007 according to Google Maps.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    True but those could be GSM antennas too. The APX16PV antennas used for B2 are nearly identical in size to the APX16DWV antennas used for B4.

Feedback Score
    On my lirr commute from Long Island to NYC, I barely load a webpage anymore for the past few days. Most of the time service is pretty good though. Can't complain for the price I'm paying

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by digimon1751 View Post
    On my lirr commute from Long Island to NYC, I barely load a webpage anymore for the past few days. Most of the time service is pretty good though. Can't complain for the price I'm paying
    Imagine the impact on a cellular system of having, say, 500 customers all hit the exact same cells at the same time. I'll bet the engineers can watch the demand spike travel from tower to tower as the commuter trains make their daily runs.

T-Mobile could really use about 20 MHz of Sprint's massive high-band holdings.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by digimon1751 View Post
    I've been having trouble with T-Mobile data since Sunday morning all across Long Island. I was told they were adding band 2 LTE in my area. It seems to be up now but data has been nothing but issues since last Sunday morning.
    iPhone 6 on T-Mobile Wideband 15+15 MHz band 4 LTE

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    They've been upgrading away as much as possible. The antennas themselves frequently can't be replaced since the AIRs that would replace them are too heavy in many instances.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Mine has been out this morning in va. It shows signal but nothing works

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    They've been upgrading away as much as possible. The antennas themselves frequently can't be replaced since the AIRs that would replace them are too heavy in many instances.
    Weight has nothing to do with it. I'm almost certain it has to do with how much of a pain the NYC permitting process is. When you swap an antenna you have to file for a permit and there are other agencies like the Landmarks Preservation Commission that can add a lot of lead time to the process. Adding an RRU can be considered a minor site maintenance item so that's much easier to do.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast