Thread: Addons added without permission?

Feedback Score

Addons added without permission?

I am interested to know if any other Canadians using Telus Mobility have had features added to their accounts without asking for them, and without giving their permission for Telus to add them. I have a Prepaid account that I top up yearly, and while calling in for help concerning a new phone I was considering adding to the account, I found out from the agent that my account had been debited $15 over the last 3 months, for a $5/mo texting feature. I let the agent know my displeasure, and was told that he would find a 'fair' solution to the problem. He did his best to try to get me to take a monthly plan, which is completely incompatible with my phone use, and I had to steer him back to the $15 issue, and became quite adamant about restitution, stating that: "The only fair solution is that you expunge the $15 debit from my prepaid balance, or I will contact the CRTC. I have since lodged a complaint against the carrier, despite the agent trying to mollify me with a week of free local calling (over certain time periods) and some texting gratuity which I will not use. Who would try to to text on a 3 char/key Samsung A650, anyway?
    I was reimbursed the (illegal?) $15 debit, however, but my trust of this carrier is at an all time low. Telus could see from my records that I rarely, if ever, text. So taking $15 off MY unused prepaid monies is a win-win for them, and in my opinion, constitutes nothing more than common theft. I see the possibility of a class-action suit here, for we, as cellphone users must police these carriers regularly or end up paying, even more, through the nose. If you have been bilked, please respond, and please, please put in a complaint at the CRTC (see below)I need to know whether this type of activity is systemic, or a fluke, in my case. I have better things to do than to have to argue on the phone for te return of monies I did not authorize to be used. This aggression cannot stand!
    Just in: The CCTS (A Non-Profit Agency handling complaints via the CRTC) has contacted me, and included the following:

"Unfortunately, this matter is not an eligible complaint within the meaning of our Procedural Code and is therefore not within the scope or mandate of the CCTS. We have reviewed your complaint about the fact that you were billed for a text add on and you had to advise the provider of your intention to contact the CRTC if they do not refund the amounts in full. It is our assessment that the subject-matter of your complaint relates to customer service. Further to Section 4.3 of our Procedural Code, CCTS is not able to issue Recommendations and Decisions that directs or requires a service provider to change their operating practices and policies."

I guess we're on our own, folks. Watch your bills and accounts carefully, and don't let carriers overcharge for unauthorized reasons. Perhaps the CRTC would respond if there were a plethora of these shady practices, but I somehow doubt it. Anyhow, please share your stories if you feel you have been overcharged, or especially if you have been overcharged for features that you did not request. Thank you!
    Last edited by swancell; 11-11-2016 at 07:33 PM. Reason: mispelling, grammer

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have seen this many times
    Usually a call centre rep calls out to "ask" you to add a feature to your account
    Some will not take no for an answer and if they even think they hear you say yes they add it
    (or worse, will say "it is free for 1 month" etc but fail to mention you must call back in next month to remove it afterwards to prevent billing)

As for random online adds, have seen it happen but usually for $0 feature codes so not such a big deal
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Feedback Score
    The agent wanted to give me something to mollify me after my displeasure about the unwanted dipping into my prepaid funds, so he offered some free local phone time, and cheaper long distance, for a weekend. I have a landline, and I told him the 'gift' was not of much use to me, unless he could date the 'weekend cheapies and freebies' to later December, when I am traveling. He said he would do this, and I thanked him. So last night I heard my text incoming ring, and checked the message, and it was TM informing me that my "bonus minutes, and cheaper long distance had run out last weekend, more than a month before the time that I asked the agent to set it up for. Gee, Thanks a lot Telus!

Feedback Score
    The most likely cause is an agent made a typing mistake so a customer who wanted the texting addon did not get it and you did. Mistakes happen.

Feedback Score

A possibility

Quote Originally Posted by rlc5466 View Post
    The most likely cause is an agent made a typing mistake so a customer who wanted the texting addon did not get it and you did. Mistakes happen.
    I can see that something like that could happen. However, I have seen enough shenanigans before, including 85% shortfalls on internet bandwidth, so the internet provider can sell more bandwidth than they currently possess, by trimming it sway from unsuspecting subscribers to add it to higher bandwidth accounts. After you see enough of these situations. you realize that there are too many to be accidents, especially when they always err on the side that makes more money for the corporation!

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rlc5466 View Post
    No
    System is point & click so he did not type anything wrong
    Could have clicked wrong though

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kav2001c View Post
    No
    System is point & click so he did not type anything wrong
    Could have clicked wrong though
    If you assume the OP did not inadvertently make the change then you are down to the two most common agent errors – keying or point and click errors. From the description in original post, I assumed, the OP had very little interaction with TELUS agents so it was likely the phone # was not autopopulated by the system – so the agent typed in a wrong phone # and did a poor job on confirming security questions.

TELUS does not do outbound telemarking calls to their prepaid customers. They use text messaging to do their promotions.

Either way human error not a systemic problem.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Regarding the CCTS, the reason they couldn't accept is because the issue that they could handle (the 15$ being removed) was rectified. They gave you back the 15$ they took. It's not that you are on your own, it's that the CCTS can't look at a billing issue that has already been resolved prior to the complaint being submitted. If Telus hadn't resolved the issue, the CCTS would have, and could have, accepted the complaint.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge/Various tablets
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility/ "Tablet 5" + 2 Unpublished SMB plans
    Feedback Score
    Is there a massive ballance on the account? Telus has a policy to add a feature automatically if your balance goes over some maximum amount on prepaid. Like $300 or something they will automatically add the bundle feature.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1844887

Could be OP is attributing this to an agent when it was an automatic thing due to a high accumulated balance.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using HoFo mobile app
    Clearnet Digital PCS

We think everyone should be able to afford a wireless phone. That's why we were the first wireless company in North America to offer pay-by-the-second airtime, and why we don't charge an activation fee. NO scary contract to sign. Immediate national coverage. And a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. Yes, it's finally time to get a wireless phone.
    f u t u r e . f r i e n d l y™

Best viewed with Netscape 3.0 at 800 x 600 resolution.

Feedback Score
    Que_Ball: No massive balance. About $90 in total. I throw in $100 yearly, in the spring, which adds to the balance from the previous year, which I always seem to have to fight for, as they erase it from the books as fast as possible after the end date of the 1 year top-up. They are getting very aggressive in trying to convince me to get a monthly plan-the agent prattled on while I kept saying "A monthly plan is no good for me!", until I had to start getting angry to get him to drop it, after which he was apologetic for pushing the issue. I could tell that he was under some directive or incentive to make me change.

Feedback Score

tied hands

tbooth: The point that I was making about the CCTS is explained in the original posting: "Further to Section 4.3 of our Procedural Code, CCTS is not able to issue Recommendations and Decisions that directs or requires a service provider to change their operating practices and policies." I am sure that they would have sent a complaint, had Telus not reimbursed me. But as their telephone agent, and their reply email explained, they have no power to change a telecom provider's operating practices or policies. They are a Paper Tiger at best, keeping complaints off the books at the CRTC.
    My original post was a feeler to see if others have had the same kind of treatment from my provider--and to see if this method of extracting $ from customer's accounts was systemic in nature. There have been errors, in my dealing with this provider in the past, but none of them have ever been in my favor.
    Last edited by swancell; 01-08-2017 at 03:28 PM. Reason: errata