Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Race to the bottom

Device(s)
    Samsung R455C, Alcatel A205G, BLU Advance 4.5,Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon & AT&T), Red Pocket (AT&T), Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I agree that it is revolutionary, and I would love to try it. But I'm not going to buy an expensive new phone just to see how I like the service. I'll stick with my $30 Moto E that I can use with any GSM MVNO.
    Google Fi has US Cellular now. In my area US Cellular has great coverage.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastor Marty View Post
    My youngest noticed a pay phone at the ferry terminal in Seattle and asked "Why would you need a pay phone?" I tried to explain to him that in 1974 my parents were finally able to have the party line replaced with a private line.
    Haha, yeah, my grandparents had a party line and we had a phone with no dial. Our phone number was 77, just 77. Does that mean that our town had less than 100 phones? To make a call you picked up the phone and talked to a live human operator real-time. Pay phones were all over the place and cost a nickle for a local call. Forget long distance. You needed a pocket full of quarters for that.

Using party lines and pay phones as the baseline, I would say we are racing away from the bottom. There, back on topic.

Device(s)
    iphone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Maybe 2007 when the landline business started to decline with more deactivations than activations is the point when prepaid cell service began to increase dramatically. Cell service became more affordable and the MVNO's became more creative with their target marketing and services offered.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Haha, yeah, my grandparents had a party line and we had a phone with no dial. Our phone number was 77, just 77. Does that mean that our town had less than 100 phones? To make a call you picked up the phone and talked to a live human operator real-time. Pay phones were all over the place and cost a nickle for a local call. Forget long distance. You needed a pocket full of quarters for that.

Using party lines and pay phones as the baseline, I would say we are racing away from the bottom. There, back on topic.
    Sooo True.......and.......so Funny. Nice writing skills & description of the way it was in the 60's & 70's & 80's.

My very Rural grandparents got their first phone in 1968.......and first indoor bathroom in 1969 ! Ha!

We had a party line too - good times - we made it work, but had to use the "click click" reminder occasionally.

Feedback Score
    MVNOs are just another revenue stream, and a very good one too. Not having resellers would be more like shooting themselves in the foot than having them would, because in business you must be creative and diverse in how you rake it in. Carriers (and really any business) are smart to use resellers/service partners whenever it makes them money that they would otherwise lose possibly to a competitor.

In my opinion these are the order of priority from most to least important when purchasing cell service and I'm sure many would agree:
    Price / coverage (close tie)
    Call/network reliability
    Call/network technology used
    Data cap/throttle point, if any
    Network speed (really they're all fast enough)

That said, here are some really good MVNO/sub-brand choices for each carrier (nobody paid me to write this):
    At&t: cricket, h2o wireless, consumer cellular
    T-Mobile: US mobile, ting, TPO, republic
    Sprint: TPO, republic, boost, ting
    Verizon: boom mobile, total wireless, selectel

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenatek View Post
    In my opinion these are the order of priority from most to least important when purchasing cell service and I'm sure many would agree:
    Price / coverage (close tie)
    Call/network reliability
    If a completely free service doesn't work where I live, I still don't want it, so not a "tie" at all.
    99% of reliability is tied to coverage. Strange to talk about it separately, as if any telcos can't complete calls these days...
    My list would be:

1. Coverage
    2. Allowances (talk/text/data)
    3. Monthly fee
    4. Phone availability & prices

Feedback Score
    I've been using freemiums so successfully for many, many months that I no longer consider "normal" options viable. If freemiums ever stop, I'll have to look around again I suppose.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2