Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Phab 2?

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Lenovo Phab 2?

Has anyone tested or even seriously studied use of a Lenovo Phab 2 on T-Mobile? It's specs are not what you might call "high end" but the price is only ~$200.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Based on the specs on gsm arena, it has bands covered for TMO. Where can you get one?

Edit: Found it on lenovo's website. Available November 1st for 199. That is quite a big phone for that price.
    Last edited by cyberstoic; 10-28-2016 at 08:18 AM.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberstoic View Post
    Based on the specs on gsm arena, it has bands covered for TMO. Where can you get one?
    You can order direct from Lenovo. My concern would be compatibility with T-Mobile's VoLTE and if it supports WiFi Calling?

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well, I couldn't resist and ordered one. It should be here today. I will report back once I get to play with it. If it is not to my liking, my son already wants it (he is on ATT).

Hop, Skip, and a Jump from Tijuana, Mexico
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Probably won't have Wifi Calling. Normally phones needs to be T-mobile phone or iPhone for Wifi Calling
    MOBILE HISTORY:
    TM
    * 16: Moto X Pure 64GB Black
    TM, Telcel, ATT
    * 15: Note 3, ZE600, 2720
    * 14: Galaxy Avant, Z600
    Sprint/ATT
    * 12: GS3, 2720
    Nextel/Boost/ATT
    * 10: BB8350i, 2720
    * 09: i9, BB7520
    * 08: Tilt, i450
    * 07: W810i, A707, 8125, BlackJack
    * 06: L6, Z520, 6682
    VZ/TM/ATT
    * 05: 7135, i600, V551, 6230, 6620, Z600
    * 04: V300, T610, 6035, 3390
    * 03: T720C
    * 02: Advx CDM4000, 9000, 9155GPX, Thera

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ok so here goes. It arrived Thursday the 3rd. The box was huge, lol, wider and very much longer than my six inch Zmax Pro.

First impressions......
    I like the screen. It is only 720p but it is bright and the adaptive brightness settings are good. I have no problem seeing it anywhere although in dimmer light it is not as bright as I would have liked. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon shows all look good on the screen and there is no lag or stutter in watching. Lines are crisp and text in my Kindle app is easy to read.

Camera. It is about the same as the zmax pro camera. It is decent. Not great, not spectacular, just overall good. Easily meets my needs in a phone camera. Others who are very demanding might not agree

The processor is a quad core Mediatek and fast enough for most things. In one game, it had a moment or two where the screen flashed and seemed to struggle to keep up for a second. It only did this once. For everything else I have tried, it runs smooth and flawlessly. Apps load instantly, and I have had no incidence of any odd behavior or crashing. It also runs cool. I loaded about 100 apps from the play store and another 50 or so from Amazon, on wifi and in the background, while surfing the web. No difficulties surfing and the phone did not get hot.

At first, I was not altogether sure that I was getting LTE. I checked the model/serial number to make sure I got the American release one and it was. The phone only read 4g. It could be put into 2G, 3G and 4G. I installed a network app and it reported that what the phone called "4G" was T-Mobile US LTE. The phone will go into G, 2G, 3G, H+ and 4G. The 4G icon would seem to be my LTE. I guess because the rest of the world calling LTE "4G" probably has something to with it. Only in the US did we call HSPA+ faux G, lol so that might be why. In any case, it is getting LTE, or so my network app tells me. It is fast.

There is no wifi calling. There is no voLTE. It drops to 3g to call in most places around me. There does not appear to be anywhere to enable voLTE in settings. I suppose I might have missed it, but I spent time looking in every setting.

Phone calls are clear, and easily loud enough, although speaker placement is important by your ear. This thing is big, and it is easy to be lazy and not hold it by your ear correctly. Speaker volume is very good and loud. The Dolby Atmos settings help.

It has 2 sim slots, one of which can be used by an SD card. I have a 128 GB card in it filled with 100Gb of music, movies and books and it reads it without difficulty.

All in all, it is a great phone for $200 dollars US. It is a top end budget phone and, in my opinion, definitely worth the money. I like it for reading books when I have a few minutes between jobs, break, etc. As long as you don't need wifi calling or voLTE, it is a great device.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the report. Lack of VoLTE with band-12 is pretty much of a deal killer for me. Yes, the US is the only place that the mavens of marketing took over and HSPA+ became "4G". To the civilized world HSPA+ is "3.5G" and you don't get to 4G until you have LTE.

Feedback Score
    Is this a dual sim phone?

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tacke View Post
    Is this a dual sim phone?
    The answer is yes, sort of. It definitely has two sim slots, and identifies txt, etc, as sim1 and 2. You have to set where data is coming from (one or two). The reason I say "sort of" is because the 2nd sim slot on the tray (there is a tray that comes out using a pin to extract it) that has two slots. One is for Sim1, the other is either for a second sim OR for an SD card, but not both. For sim two you get one or the other. Since the phone has 32 gb on board, that might not be a problem for some. Personally for me, it would be since I have about 100GB on my sd card in sim slot two. Hope that helps!

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    And now an odd problem. I was using an LG G4 which had a 5.5 inch screen. Then I had a LG G Stylo with a 5.7" screen. Then I had a ZmaxPro with a 6" screen. After using this for a few days, I went back to the Zmax Pro for a day. It seemed so small. After using this, everything seems small. The Zmax Pro with a 6 inch screen seems small. My wife's Stylo2 at 5.7 seems really small. My son's Moto G4 at 5.5 is now tiny. Oddly, despite this things size, it is easy for me to hold to make phone calls. You can set the keyboard for one handed use to the right or left side and use it one handed. It is not as unwieldy as you might think.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the detailed info. Just ordered one.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    How are the phones working a month out?

Feedback Score
    Now we need someone to review the pro version.

Did the phab 2 not have band 12?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    How are the phones working a month out?
    It has been about 6 weeks out since getting this. I still like the device. There are a few quirky things, like when I hit "sound" in the shade/notification drop down, it gives me the actual sound page rather than cycle to vibrate and silent like on my zmax pro, and it doesn't work well with my "silence premium" app that I use to silence the phone at night, but other than that I still really like the phone.

I got used to the size of it almost immediately, especially coming from a 6" screen, so the 6.4" was not that big of an adjustment.

I ended up stopping using the adaptive brightness, because it just liked the brightness too low for my tastes, but since there is a slider to adjust the brightness on the drop down notification menu, it is easily adjustable. I really like the speakers volume.

Despite it's ginormous size, the speaker placement on your ear is very important or you can't hear well. That took some getting used to.

With 3gb ram, it is peppy and I have no difficulty running any apps. It seems slow to wake when the screen is dark. You can hit the power button or double tap the screen to wake it up and it is perceptible and almost annoying that it is not instantaneous to wake.

Overall, I still really like the device and consider it money well spent.

I hope this thing is slated to receive android 7

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Thanks for the report. Lack of VoLTE with band-12 is pretty much of a deal killer for me. Yes, the US is the only place that the mavens of marketing took over and HSPA+ became "4G". To the civilized world HSPA+ is "3.5G" and you don't get to 4G until you have LTE.
    Are there any 6" plus phablets that are fully T Mobile compatible currently?

Sent from my Z981 using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast