Thread: Bad experience with tmobile roaming?

Feedback Score

Bad experience with tmobile roaming?

I had used tmobile before in Spain and had no problems connecting to Lte on vodafone and movistar . But this last week i was in Mexico city and went to Guadalajara . And on my Lg g5 i was only conencting to movistar 3G i actually even got a 3G icon which i had never seen before . My brother on tmobile that was with us has a galaxsy s7 and was also roaming on movistar 3G. My coworker with us had a tmobile iphone 6plus and was connecting to TELCEL LTE. When we all got of the plane in mexico city we all got the welcome to mexico text that says enjoy lte data like u were at home . Only thing both of us that had android were connecting to a different network and it was only 3G. Restarted phone took out sim card nothing helped on both phones went to network settings and searched for available networks and would find Telcel Lte but said it couldnt register . Things were pretty frustrating all over mexico city and even in Guadalajara we were both on 3G getting speeds less than 2 mbps while my coworker was getting up to 50 dwn on Lte. Calls worked fine crystal clear only data and coverage was the problem . Since telcel uses lower frequency when we would go in a store or something we had no signal at all on movistar while my coworker did on Telcel. Does any body know why would we had that problem??

Hop, Skip, and a Jump from Tijuana, Mexico
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I had the problem as well when I went to Guadalajara in June. Mine was a different issue. I have a Moto X Pure and could only connect to Movistar which most of the time lost data. My wife has a Samsung Galaxy Avant and was able to connect to Telcel no problem. Both of us are on the same family plan.

We used to have the problem going to Tijuana, but now my phone only connects to Telcel there which is not an issue.

I don't think it's a T-mobile issue. It's your phone.
    MOBILE HISTORY:
    TM
    * 16: Moto X Pure 64GB Black
    TM, Telcel, ATT
    * 15: Note 3, ZE600, 2720
    * 14: Galaxy Avant, Z600
    Sprint/ATT
    * 12: GS3, 2720
    Nextel/Boost/ATT
    * 10: BB8350i, 2720
    * 09: i9, BB7520
    * 08: Tilt, i450
    * 07: W810i, A707, 8125, BlackJack
    * 06: L6, Z520, 6682
    VZ/TM/ATT
    * 05: 7135, i600, V551, 6230, 6620, Z600
    * 04: V300, T610, 6035, 3390
    * 03: T720C
    * 02: Advx CDM4000, 9000, 9155GPX, Thera

Device(s)
    Motorola Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I was in Mexico City yesterday. Landed at MEX and my iPhone 6S had some trouble locking onto a network. It settled on TELCEL LTE after a few minutes and was just fine. I never did get the text from tmo, though.

Device(s)
    Iphone X Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo
    Feedback Score
    Every time I have been to Mexico. Cabo San Lucas, Guadalajara, and Mexico City it would connect to Telcel. Seems that telcel is the preferred network in Mexico now.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The Problem is the Phones being used. The iPhone 6/6s will connect to more LTE bands than the Android phones listed. I have seen this issue firsthand in Europe (UK & France) & Mexico.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Like everybody else I'm always landing on Movistar 3G in Tijuana, Rosarito and D.F./CDMX with the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S7. Both Movistar and Telcel use the same bands like 1900/850 for 3G and B2 or B4 respectively so there shouldn't be any other requirements to use their LTE networks. Both of these networks utilize the same bands the AT&T/T-Mobile (sin 850 MHz) does so any relatively new smartphone can handle the networks.

I end up using the BB Passport in Mexico with T-Mobile so I can try to manually lock into Telcel LTE or Movistar LTE since the default seems to be Movistar 3G for me. I also use my iusacell line, as well since both Movistar and Telcel chokes badly during peak hours while AT&T MX holds on a little longer without choking.

When I drive my car in Mexico, I like to stream audio/video, but Movistar in general is weak and slow. Even their B2 LTE network is kind of slow, hence like the OP I prefer to use the Telcel LTE network on this line. AT&T MX IMO is better than Telcel in the cities, it just doesn't have the coverage.
    Last edited by i0wnj00; 10-20-2016 at 07:35 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Movistar is always hit or miss in Mexico. I've used them on Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon.

Last time i was down there, Verizon only allowed roaming on Telcel and dropped Movistar alltogether, Sprint could not load a page on Movistar, and T-Mobile was pulling 18Mbps on Telcel.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve 8320
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Roaming in st Croix USVI sucks T-Mobile has some coverage but it's edge and useless the phone sometimes shows innovative vi 3G and also is useless. My friends w att on this trip no problems

Device(s)
    Iphone X Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ewalker3 View Post
    Roaming in st Croix USVI sucks T-Mobile has some coverage but it's edge and useless the phone sometimes shows innovative vi 3G and also is useless. My friends w att on this trip no problems
    Don't get me started with USVI. That place has been on tmo last list since suncom merger.