Thread: I have LOTS of minutes on my phone...

Feedback Score

I have LOTS of minutes on my phone...

...basically from not making as many calls over the last few years as people around me would expect, and my older brother is deeply bothered that I do.

Our family situation, without going into a lot of detail, is such that bro, despite not physically living in the same house I do, is ASSerting himself as the "man of the house."

I can't get across to him that even with my limited income, I can still afford the $20-plus-fees for the lowest level of Net10 buy-in-a-store airtime cards even if he is able to cancel the credit card (officially that of our dying father) to which I had been charging my current $15-plus-fees auto-refill plan.

He just has this strange view that business will respond to his simple demands to re-conform themselves to save him money. (Do any of you believe this?) In this specific case, he somehow believes that Net10 will allow for me to buy only days of service, without minutes.

I've used Net10 for easily four years, and can refer to their current terms and plans as quickly as my bordering-on-snail's-pace-sometimes internet connection can bring them up, but bro must wish that I would trade it in either for a far-cheaper (TracFone) plan and phone like he now has, or for a publicly-funded Lifeline phone.

There may be another option, as I was told a few weeks ago by a Net10.com tech in a private online support chat, that if I call Net10 tech support, and give them the proper info, that they'll be able to switch my payments for the auto-refill plan from the credit card to automatic debits from my bank account. Has anyone heard of Net10 doing this?

Do you think he'll eventually just stop worrying, or is there a way to somehow please him whether or not I've mentioned it here? Thanks.

dL

Feedback Score
    do not try to please him. Sounds like a toxic relationship. Call net 10 and get them to update the billing info. If your payments lapse you will lose your number.

Sent from my SM-G920V using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    He may be frustrated that you are using your fathers CC - Like crux57 says, change the billing stuff. Bro may be a lot of other distasteful things as well - hard to tell.

He is probably right about your phone cost - another provider might be less expensive - on the other hand, no matter what changes
    you might make going to another provider, you won't save much if you are only spending $ 15 -20 / month for service now. Meh....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    He may be frustrated that you are using your fathers CC - Like crux57 says, change the billing stuff. Bro may be a lot of other distasteful things as well - hard to tell.
    Dad is trying to give up the card, as Net10 (his and mine) is the only ongoing thing still charged to it.

I called Net10 today, and this time was told, probably more accurately, that I couldn't switch from CC to bank debits (there's no way to do that on the Web site). I've already budgeted the cost of the lowest level of their pay-as-you-go card, and it's not going to make a serious impact.

Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    He is probably right about your phone cost - another provider might be less expensive - on the other hand, no matter what changes you might make going to another provider, you won't save much if you are only spending $ 15 -20 / month for service now. Meh....
    The relationship issues are more important... he is having his own issues with his employer over the phone they provide him, and needed a second one for non-job-related use. Now the rest of the family is extremely restricted as far as calling and texting him.

dL

Device(s)
    Samsung R455C, Alcatel A205G, BLU Advance 4.5,Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon & AT&T), Red Pocket (AT&T), Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Not prying, just sharing in case you're not aware, if you have a bank or credit union account with debit card and the card has a credit card logo on it; for example, Mastercard or Visa, you can use it as a credit card --subject of course, to money being there to cover the expense. I wouldn't tell Net10 it's a debit card. Sunniest regards, -W

Feedback Score
    Harmony in family is very important.
    If you can't obtain a credit card and/or debit credit card of your own then seek out another relative who will allow you to charge.
    If not, it might be time to move on to Tracfone and pay your own way for your own phone.

Feedback Score
    Harmony is important until it's not. You should not have to lose your number because your brother is being an a-hole. If you can't get the payments to come from you try to port the number to another provider. You MUST set boundaries with your brother and other family.

Sent from my SM-G920V using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    To update those that still may be interested:

Dad passed away Oct 15th, and my brother for the time being is using dad's phone in addition to the two he already has. (Dad's end was not unexpected; he had been in declining health going back as far as 2013 or earlier.)

I moved dad's phone before then from his Net10 web account to mine, although doing so had the auto-refill cancelled for that phone. His existing minutes (even more than I have) and days of service (extended because of an earlier transfer from a phone my late mother used) have survived, and I will ask my brother if he'd like to move that phone into another web account in his name, which will enable him to decide down the road what he'd like to do with it.

But as of now, my next move related to Net10 will only be to remove dad's credit card as the basis for payment to my phone; that I'll do as soon as I post this.

Unit731 and crux57: While I am aware that TracFone and Net10 are related (the TracFone trademark appears on all the phones!), I don't remember, or must not be interested in finding out, how to port phones from one carrier to another. It's easier for me to buy airtime cards until I find another way. I bought the phone, and pay for its airtime, with my money, no one else's.

GeezLouise: The only card I currently have is a bank ATM card. I've used it in rare occasions in debit situations, subject of course to "12 CFR 204(d)(2)", a Federal regulation limiting such uses. My brother has his own CC, but does not want to charge that particular expense to it if airtime is separately available.

Of course, this is all subject to change based on what happens with dad's will.

dL