Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: iPhone 7 plus camera vs iPhone 6S plus

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

iPhone 7 plus camera vs iPhone 6S plus

I upgraded from the 6S plus to the 7 plus. Some of the pics looks nice compared to the 6S plus, but has anyone else experienced an ohhh ahhh effect of the new camera?

Some of the pics I have taken look grainy. Is it the new screen or does the camera not have the full effect until iOS 10.1?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Reviews have the 1X lens of the 7 Plus camera being an incremental upgrade over the 6s Plus camera. ie. Nicer but not that much nicer.

However, the whole point of the 7 Plus is having the dual lens setup. Now there is a completely separate optical 2X lens. Furthermore, Apple has implemented in software the short DOF portrait mode feature for the true ooh ahh effect of the new camera.

I can tell you that when portrait mode works as intended, its effects are indeed stunning. Unfortunately, it has lots of problems, so a lot of photos using this software mode have weird glitches. They still look reasonable if you print those pictures at say 4x6 or view them in your (wide gamut) iPhone 7 Plus screen, but some of the glitches look horrible when viewed full screen on a 27" iMac. I get the impression that portrait mode does best with head shots but even then a lot of the photos may have noticeable glitches. Fortunately, in this mode the camera saves both the original shot and the software adjusted shot so you can choose which to use. And furthermore, this is still in beta so hopefully it get better as iOS 10 matures.

Obviously the true bokeh effect I get on my Canon 7D plus 60 mm f/2.8 lens is much more consistent, but that thing is heavy in comparison and 95% of the time I don't have it with me. Ironically though, my 7 Plus more often takes pictures with better exposure and white balance than my 7D does.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR 128 GB white ( sim free)
    Carrier(s)
    Visible Mobile $25
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by terryjohnson16 View Post
    I upgraded from the 6S plus to the 7 plus. Some of the pics looks nice compared to the 6S plus, but has anyone else experienced an ohhh ahhh effect of the new camera?

Some of the pics I have taken look grainy. Is it the new screen or does the camera not have the full effect until iOS 10.1?
    I m not techie but I love the 2nd 56 mm Len a lot, I end up using that Len more and more (x2) the video shot with 56 mm Len zooms in/out really impressive. To me now, I don't miss 6 S Plus one bit to be honest. And to #hissgate people, I try to find that hiss, but still nothing wrong with it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Im still trying to get a feel of the camera

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    This is pretty much what you should expect with portrait mode (other than the pumpkin). Sometimes the edges of the subject look a bit off, because the software can't exactly find the edge and blur right up to that. It often does it a couple of pixels over or else blurs the colour of the edge with the background. Both can be easily noticed on a blown up picture on screen, but not so easily on say a 4x6 print.

Quote Originally Posted by mtr999 View Post
    I m not techie but I love the 2nd 56 mm Len a lot, I end up using that Len more and more (x2) the video shot with 56 mm Len zooms in/out really impressive. To me now, I don't miss 6 S Plus one bit to be honest. And to #hissgate people, I try to find that hiss, but still nothing wrong with it.
    I agree. It's really nice having the 2X lens. It should be noted though there is no optical image stabilization for the 2X lens. That was a big downer for the 2X lens, but I guess Apple needs something to sell for 2017.

I have no hiss either.
    $60 Fido 10 GB Pulse plan with $5 Value Pack (December 2017 Holideal)

Feedback Score
    The slower f2.8 2X lens (vs. 1X f1.8) will result in slightly longer shutter speeds also. This, in combination with the lack of optical image stabilization, has the potential for blurrier image capture. At least from a purely technical analysis.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    The slower f2.8 2X lens (vs. 1X f1.8) will result in slightly longer shutter speeds also. This, in combination with the lack of optical image stabilization, has the potential for blurrier image capture. At least from a purely technical analysis.
    Actually, it turns out Apple's phone software does not necessarily always give get the 57 mm 2X lens in portrait mode apparently. Apple's software will sometimes choose to use the 28 mm lens and digitally zoom it if it determines the 57 mm lens is going to cause problems. Odd but apparently true.

I just wish the 57 mm 2X lens had OIS. It works great in full daylight though of course.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I noticed that when I take pics with the back camera on ios 10.0.1, It takes a few seconds to snap the photo after hitting the capture button. Its not instantaneous. You have to tell the people to stay still until the photo and flash happen. Crazy.

Some of my pics are coming out blurry. Also the hdr and flash wont stay on. It keeps turning off

Feedback Score
    I shot around a dozen images from my sisters new iphone 7 and compared them to the same scene, time, iso, etc with my Panasonic FZ200 and Pentax K50 with a prime 50mm. While the iphone does ok, it can't compare to the output from the FZ200 or the K50 as both hold far more fine detail, especially when shot indoors (no flash). While the iphone images are perfectly acceptable for social media and prints to 4x6 or possibly 8x10 (not low light as it readily shows lots of noise and grain), it's not the tool if you want a high quality print, especially larger than 5x7. I also shot a few flower images with my HTC Desire Eye and compared the same with the iphone 7 and both images were very close to each other with the iphone showing a slightly more pleasing rendition of warm color, but easily flavored in post processing. Would I spend $800. for the iPhone 7? LOL..no as it's functions are really no better than a smartphone at less than half the cost. You want high quality images? Grab a Nikon D7200 refurb for the same price and don't look back as the images (and performance) are miles ahead of the iphone.

Feedback Score

iPhone 7 plus camera vs iPhone 6S plus

the color accuracy is much better between the two, even when viewing on the screen itself. in low light, jpgs don't show as much NR as the 6s/Plus did - that ugly watercolor look. I didn't like the dull-looking pics on my 6s Plus much that I mostly used my Note5 camera which obviously was more vibrant. and now, I actually prefer both my 7 and 7 Plus. something about that wider colour gamut in the natural-looking images that keeps drawing me to it.

(Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk)

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eug View Post
    Actually, it turns out Apple's phone software does not necessarily always give get the 57 mm 2X lens in portrait mode apparently. Apple's software will sometimes choose to use the 28 mm lens and digitally zoom it if it determines the 57 mm lens is going to cause problems. Odd but apparently true.

I just wish the 57 mm 2X lens had OIS. It works great in full daylight though of course.
    This seems to be the main issue with the dual camera. Not putting OIS on the second lens would cause issues, especially given it's the one zoomed making them even more pronounced. I'd say the testing that shows the main lens being favored and cropped to 2x digital zoom are mostly due to that.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimxx200 View Post
    I shot around a dozen images from my sisters new iphone 7 and compared them to the same scene, time, iso, etc with my Panasonic FZ200 and Pentax K50 with a prime 50mm. While the iphone does ok, it can't compare to the output from the FZ200 or the K50 as both hold far more fine detail, especially when shot indoors (no flash). While the iphone images are perfectly acceptable for social media and prints to 4x6 or possibly 8x10 (not low light as it readily shows lots of noise and grain), it's not the tool if you want a high quality print, especially larger than 5x7. I also shot a few flower images with my HTC Desire Eye and compared the same with the iphone 7 and both images were very close to each other with the iphone showing a slightly more pleasing rendition of warm color, but easily flavored in post processing. Would I spend $800. for the iPhone 7? LOL..no as it's functions are really no better than a smartphone at less than half the cost. You want high quality images? Grab a Nikon D7200 refurb for the same price and don't look back as the images (and performance) are miles ahead of the iphone.
    Of course, my Canon 7D plus 60 mm EF-S macro takes way clearer pictures than my iPhone 7 Plus, but I take far, far, far more pictures with the iPhone, since I have it with me 100% of the time. The 7D I have with me about 2% of the time.

Feedback Score
    Of course, my Canon 7D plus 60 mm EF-S macro takes way clearer pictures than my iPhone 7 Plus, but I take far, far, far more pictures with the iPhone, since I have it with me 100% of the time. The 7D I have with me about 2% of the time.
    I hear you and that's the very convenient factor of a smartphone with a good camera. However, since I print every week my landscapes and seascapes, I really don't care about smartphone images for social media. Once one reaches the IQ button, it's hard to be happy with just ok images. My big pursuits on what makes a nice image is dynamic range, light, and composition. Shooting images with a smartphones screen is difficult, especially in brighter sun and then there's the crappy ergonomics. That said, I think most smartphone camera shooters eventually move up to a higher quality camera like a micro 4/3 or even a APS-C sensor in camera in a small body. Fuji comes to mind as they do jpegs very well without post processing raw files..easy peasy for new people getting serious about photography.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimxx200 View Post
    I hear you and that's the very convenient factor of a smartphone with a good camera. However, since I print every week my landscapes and seascapes, I really don't care about smartphone images for social media. Once one reaches the IQ button, it's hard to be happy with just ok images. My big pursuits on what makes a nice image is dynamic range, light, and composition. Shooting images with a smartphones screen is difficult, especially in brighter sun and then there's the crappy ergonomics. That said, I think most smartphone camera shooters eventually move up to a higher quality camera like a micro 4/3 or even a APS-C sensor in camera in a small body. Fuji comes to mind as they do jpegs very well without post processing raw files..easy peasy for new people getting serious about photography.
    Not really. The camera companies are currently in crisis, due to lost sales. The pro and prosumer markets remain fine, but the entry level camera market is dying. Sales numbers are abysmal.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR 128 GB white ( sim free)
    Carrier(s)
    Visible Mobile $25
    Feedback Score
    Not really. The camera companies are currently in crisis, due to lost sales. The pro and prosumer markets remain fine, but the entry level camera market is dying. Sales numbers are abysmal.
    True true.... I see thousands of iPhone or Samsung Galaxy doing photo or video shooting in theme parks vs rare encounter with handheld camera users in theme parks. The trend gets worse as new phone is improving camera year by year....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast