Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dial area code for local calls?

Feedback Score

Dial area code for local calls?

Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    Not true in this case. Cricket routes their voice traffic through a separate "gateway" if you will, and even in areas where 7 digit dialing still works on the PSTN and other cell carriers, it will not work on Cricket.

10-digit is mandatory across Cricket's entire system due to the way calls are routed.
    Not true. Area code is dependent on lata. Pstn is only used when calling a landline. The flow of a gsm call to another cell phone is ms to bss to msc/vLr and the same on the other side no pstn. In the case cell phone to cell phone pstn is replaced by bss. It's primary function is to broad cast to that local areA transport area first aka lata. Not only area codes help identify areas of the country but npa-nxx also helps identifies what part of the country your in. Ever notice people living in particular part of town all have the same npa -nxx on their telephone numbers. Etc 212-450
    212-350.

Ps gateways are used on voip calls.
    Cricket probably request 10 digit dialing due to the fact that everybody is all over the country. I can live in New York City and have a Florida number.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbudha View Post
    Omg why does this surprise people?
    This. Not sure how hard it is to dial an area code and/or why people just don't do it when they dial a number in the first place.

I have never once dialed a number without the area code. Didn't even know seven-digit dialing was still a thing.

Device(s)
    LG G8, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    It's funny every time this issue comes up on here (once every few months or so), people get all defensive against posters who ask.
    It takes some getting used to at the beginning.

95% of my outbound calls are to people or businesses in my address book. It's not a big deal.

Device(s)
    6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Even though I do not need to, I enter all my phone #'s as 1+ area code + number. That way when I travel out of the area I do not run into problems.
    ----
    Joe

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That's how it is now I guess. I've never had to do it with Verizon, all you did was do the xxx-xxxx number, just like you'd do on your home phone. I still can't get used to doing the area code so now I've made contacts for everyone so I don't forget the area code.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tibadoe View Post
    Even though I do not need to, I enter all my phone #'s as 1+ area code + number. That way when I travel out of the area I do not run into problems.
    Same here since the 20th century due to traveling for business. I had a heck of a time explaining this to my elderly mother when this became mandatory here (local land lines are still seven digit dialing).

Sent from my SM-N910T using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Did you have to dial the area code with your previous carrier? What kind of phone was it? I'm on Verizon and I have to dial the area code even for local calls. I can remember being on ATT and not having to dial the area code for local calls. I'm not sure if that was them or the phone. Some phones I think have a feature where it will add the area code if one isn't dialed.

I know in some areas local calls require an area code even from a landline but I've never lived in one of those places. When I got my phone I had to adjust to it too but I did. How is service with Cricket?

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    This thread is over 2 years old. The OP is LONG gone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2