Page 81 of 92 FirstFirst ... 31 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1367

Thread: boom! Mobile

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bennor View Post
    Took out the Boom sim from the Droid Mini and put it into the new G5 Plus at the time then contacted Boom support to make sure everything was working properly.
    I wonder if the reused SIM led to VZW not removing the flag that applied to the old phone that used that SIM.

Or if just powering it up with the SIM before the swap (if you did so) did something.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    When you swapped phones, did you activate the new IMEI & SIM or just move the old SIM?

If you just swapped, Boom! may still be reporting the old phone to Verizon. I known this been an issue with VoLTE phones on TF companies (old phone wasn't VoLTE capable so system said new phone was needed w/ the CDMA shutdown).
    I did swap the SIM in, and I think I did chat with Boom on the swap. I never got a new SIM.

I have another call into Boom on the issue since looking at it there seems to be confusion on The IMEI number attached to the account. The 2nd rep I talked to seemed to think my account checked out fine when I pointed out teh IMEI confusion. he was going to check with his supervisor, who I talked to before who saw an issue.
    Hopefully I'll hear back soon, or I'll call back later today.

Overall have been pretty happy with Boom's verizon service, although I've had a few deader spots and had 1-2 situations where I'm assuming the deprioritized data hurt me. I've considered trying out the AT&T or T Mobile service now maybe the time to switch, but I'd like to at least understand whether Verizon has there hooks into my phone, I'm really not a fan of Verizon's policies

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Koogs View Post
    but I'd like to at least understand whether Verizon has there hooks into my phone, I'm really not a fan of Verizon's policies
    I don't think they do, just a mix up in the system.

Much like what bennor appears to have going on.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Why do carriers come up with policies that cause customers problems? ATT with not wanting to support VoLTE on many phones. Verizon raising issues with paid off unlocked phones? ATT will even allow you to use locked prepaid phones on MVNOs without any known (to me) issues.

On the other hand, I've tried to reuse an officially unlocked Verizon prepaid phone before on a Verizon MVNO and it failed. Probably due to issues like this. I had alternatives so never contacted support.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Trying to simplify to 2 prepaid lines, one on the Verizon network and a limited minute plan on ATT to improve coverage area. 12 month plans to help me fight the urge to switch. The good old days of contracts where you had to pay a hefty ETF to leave

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, Droid Mini, LG Cosmos, Motorola Razr 3vm, Motorola V60, Motorola Startac
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless Postpaid, Boom! Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H. View Post
    We will file it for you. So after you fill it out just send it back to us. Thanks for the willingness to walk through it with us.
    Jeff, This is the latest response in the Boom support system from "Russ" to the VZW issue:

"My manager said you would call Verizon's help desk and file a complaint 1 (800) 922-0204. She advised it is not an easy process but you would want to tell them that you are needing to file that Verizon has claimed your phone as a Verizon direct only device blocking you from using it with an Verizon MVNO and that you have never had Verizon on the device and did not purchase the phone with them. We are unsure of how long the process is or which department would handle the issue. We will have to move you of the device or to another network by 3/16/2020 your device is compatible with our Boom Blue we will send the sim free of charge so please let us know if you want the sim with at least 3 business days left so we can get the card to you in time."

Should I be calling VZW or should there be a form I fill out and Boom pushes it with VZW?

Feedback Score
    My timeline:

2015.02 After years with VZW, I switched to Straight Talk using a new number on their Verizon-backed network. From the beginning, I used a Verizon-branded Moto X (XT1060) I purchased new from a 3rd-party Amazon seller.

2016.10 Switched to Boom using a new number on Boom's Red network. Still used the XT1060.

2018.11 Purchased an unlocked Pixel3 directly from Google and swapped in my existing Boom SIM.

2018.12 Returned the Pixel3 because of a screen defect, received replacement Pixel3 from Google (temporarily swapped the SIM back in to the XT1060 during the interim)

2019.01? 02? After several weeks, replacement phone seemed stable. In order to ensure continued compatibility, I sent a message to Boom customer support with my Pixel3's information. When I checked my account a week later, the Model, MEID, and Manufacturer fields had all been correctly changed. (I also continue to use the SIM-less XT1060 on and off as a WiFi-only device.)

Yesterday
    * Boom phone support suggested the Pixel3 must have been activated with Verizon at some point, triggering the penalty fee for Boom.
    * I wondered if the replacement Pixel3 was refurbished, and the previous owner might have used it on Verizon's network.
    * However, two different Verizon customer support reps could not find evidence the IMEI had ever been activated on their system.

Considering the other experiences here, I draw the conclusion that once an MVNO's SIM is used with a Verizon-bought or -branded phone, VZW permanently flags it (and possibly the IMEIs of any devices used with it) for penalties. [edit: inaccurate speculation removed]
    Last edited by zbschoening; 02-27-2020 at 01:21 AM. Reason: removed inaccurate speculation

Feedback Score
    Wow. What a nightmare for affected boom! customers, especially those that became customers some time ago, and have since upgraded their phones to fully unlocked phones unassociated with Vzw, that are now facing this issue where Vzw is claiming that the devices were sold by Vzw!

This sure seems like something that Vzw could be sued for.

But since most MVNOs probably lack the resources to bring such a lawsuit against Vzw, I wonder if it would do any good if every customer that this has happened to filed a FCC complaint against Vzw?

Could this maybe explain why TF sells so many different models of phones, many with amazing airtime values included, perhaps trying to prevent customers from being tempted to use former Vzw devices on TF?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Why do carriers come up with policies that cause customers problems?
    They don't cause problems for their customers, only other company's customers.

Why is easy, control. They want control over who does what on their networks. They want to make MVNOs less attractive so you stay with them instead of switching.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Wow. What a nightmare for affected customers
    Fixed it.

As mentioned Selectel had the issue. I think some RedPocket users too. I recall Puppy having the issue when they wee first launching.

Reminds me a bit of when Verizon started charting high fees to MVNOs for uncertified devices (led to the whitelist), like reprogrammed devices from Sprint and LTE device limited to CDMA (when only 3G was allowed on MVNOs).

Verizon has a long history of making life hard for MVNOs and MVNO users.

TF may just have enough clout to get different terms, or they may absorb the costs.

Feedback Score
    Jeff, different kind of question. Say someone wanted to change from Red to one of your other offerings. How much trouble would it be to do that and, more importantly, to change back if it wasn't working?

I said in a couple of my posts that anything besides VZW was a non-starter for me. I'm the editor of the local newspaper, we've got a story running about pending VZW transmitter/tower upgrades (first step to 5G), but I had forgotten until seeing our reporter's story that T-Mobile was doing an equally massive upgrade (and may even be finished with it now) in the area, including Band 72 coverage.

I've always thought that options were nice ...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Wow. What a nightmare for affected boom! customers, especially those that became customers some time ago, and have since upgraded their phones to fully unlocked phones unassociated with Vzw, that are now facing this issue where Vzw is claiming that the devices were sold by Vzw!

This sure seems like something that Vzw could be sued for.

But since most MVNOs probably lack the resources to bring such a lawsuit against Vzw, I wonder if it would do any good if every customer that this has happened to filed a FCC complaint against Vzw?

Could this maybe explain why TF sells so many different models of phones, many with amazing airtime values included, perhaps trying to prevent customers from being tempted to use former Vzw devices on TF?
    I had to send one VZW branded phone back on Swappa because it wouldn't work for my wife who's on TF, the guy wouldn't check the IMEI for me and I rolled the dice and rolled craps. And I tried a couple of other IMEIs for VZW branded phones where sellers had shared them with me, and they showed as ineligible on TF but eligible on VZW retail. So there may be issues there too, I had forgotten about that when I posted yesterday.

We fixed it by going to Best Buy, getting a new in box VZW Galaxy 9 and having them check the IMEI with TF there in the store. I pushed her to get an unlocked phone, but she wanted one in a specific color, the VZW one was the only one in stock in that color, and y'all know what they say about keeping Mama happy ...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bennor View Post
    Jeff, This is the latest response in the Boom support system from "Russ" to the VZW issue:

"My manager said you would call Verizon's help desk and file a complaint 1 (800) 922-0204. She advised it is not an easy process but you would want to tell them that you are needing to file that Verizon has claimed your phone as a Verizon direct only device blocking you from using it with an Verizon MVNO and that you have never had Verizon on the device and did not purchase the phone with them. We are unsure of how long the process is or which department would handle the issue. We will have to move you of the device or to another network by 3/16/2020 your device is compatible with our Boom Blue we will send the sim free of charge so please let us know if you want the sim with at least 3 business days left so we can get the card to you in time."

Should I be calling VZW or should there be a form I fill out and Boom pushes it with VZW?
    This is a very frustrating issue, that frankly Boom is not really doing anything to help solve in my opinion.
    I've spoken to multiple customer service reps with different information each time which makes it confusing. One tells me my phone is "compatible" with Boom via chat, another tells me I do have a problem and talk to Verizon, the 3rd I called b/c I realized me MEID didn't match the email that was sent and I wanted clarification seemed to think I was fine and was going to speak with his supervisor when she got back, then the 4th telling me I have a problem still (after I didn't get a call back). And ohh by the way, I'm going to have this problem at all prepaids not just them.

I just spoke with a customer service rep who told me that basically this is my problem, kept telling me its b/c it was activated on Verizon. That I bought a used phone, or refurbished phone. Told me to speak with Apple since they sold me the phone. Which i did, they told me that looking at the national database I have an unlocked phone, not tied at all to Verizon. Apple receipt shows "Iphone Unlocked" on it. There shouldn't be any limit on activating it on any network and that I should escalate within Boom since by all visible records, this has no connection with Verizon and is not locked at all.

What I don't understand from a customer service point of view is that they are providing no path to getting it resolved. No contact number at Verizon with people who actually understand the problem, nothing. Just switch to our great AT*T network. This is effectively a phantom list that Boom has, but no one else has, and I need to get off of it but they need someone else to take me off, but I can't get connected to anyone who understands what this is...

I'm really getting to the point where I want to pack up my toys and take them elsewhere.

Feedback Score
    I understand your feelings. I'd feel the same way. I don't understand how boom! can't get their supposedly in-house CSRs to understand and properly help affected customers.

And as of now, any TF-related Vzw MVNO, and as far as I know, RP Vzw, will take you as a customer, so that statement by boom! CSR wasn't accurate.

Feedback Score
    Received this e-mail yesterday:
    "Your MEID: XXXXXXXXXXX on record for Mobile Device Number: XXXXXX is a Verizon Device and is not certified for boom! RED. Our agreement with VZW charges us a penalty fee up to $22 per month for these type of devices. We realize this is inconvenient but for the greater good of the company we need you to check if this is your device and if its not then please contact us with the correct device id, or an alternate device id that we can check for compatibility. If, however, the device id is correct as provided, you will need to switch to one of our other networks to continue service with boom! MOBILE
    We have identified that MEID: XXXXXXXXX may be compatible if unlocked with the following networks."

I immediately noticed the phone number was NOT my phone number. I also discovered it was NOT my MEID number as well. So I called Boom customer service and they said they must have made an error copying the numbers in the e-mail and they would look into the correct number I gave them for my phone. I then get this e-mail today:

"Customer claims phone was never used or purchased from Verizon and does not understand how they could claim the phone please double check

IT Claimed under CODE 2

So unfortunately the device is claimed.

My manager said you Could call Verizon's help desk and file a complaint 1 (800) 922-0204. She advised it is not an easy process but you would want to tell them that you are needing to file that Verizon has claimed your phone as a Verizon direct only device blocking you from using it with an Verizon MVNO and that you have never had Verizon on the device and did not purchase the phone with them. We are unsure of how long the process is or which department would handle the issue. We will have to move you of the device or to another network by 3/19/2020 your device is compatible with our Boom Blue we will send the sim free of charge so please let us know if you want the sim with at least 3 business days left so we can get the card to you in time."

I have been with Boom since 2016 with no issues whatsoever. I purchased my current phone in May 2019, unlocked from Best Buy. So brand new unlocked phone, and never been on Verizon's network as I've only had it a few months. Boom said perhaps I let someone borrow my phone that may have put a Verizon SIM in it temporarily, or it may have been used/tested on Verizon's network before I bought it. I assured them I bought it brand new from Best Buy, have never let anyone take my phone to use, and it's certainly never been on Verizon since I've only had it for five months and have been on Boom for almost four years. I tried calling several different Verizon numbers to resolve this and of course, got nowhere.

I am beyond upset and frustrated with this, and really don't know what to do or where to turn. I don't want to switch networks and prefer not to use Verizon directly. How in the world could Verizon possibly have my IMEI number when it's never been in use with Verizon directly? Can anybody help with this??? Thank you!!!
    Last edited by Ace77; 02-26-2020 at 10:27 PM.

Carrier(s)
    boom! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace77 View Post
    Received this e-mail yesterday:
    "Your MEID: XXXXXXXXXXX on record for Mobile Device Number: XXXXXX is a Verizon Device and is not certified for boom! RED. Our agreement with VZW charges us a penalty fee up to $22 per month for these type of devices. We realize this is inconvenient but for the greater good of the company we need you to check if this is your device and if its not then please contact us with the correct device id, or an alternate device id that we can check for compatibility. If, however, the device id is correct as provided, you will need to switch to one of our other networks to continue service with boom! MOBILE
    We have identified that MEID: XXXXXXXXX may be compatible if unlocked with the following networks."

I immediately noticed the phone number was NOT my phone number. I also discovered it was NOT my MEID number as well. So I called Boom customer service and they said they must have made an error copying the numbers in the e-mail and they would look into the correct number I gave them for my phone. I then get this e-mail today:

"Customer claims phone was never used or purchased from Verizon and does not understand how they could claim the phone please double check

IT Claimed under CODE 2

So unfortunately the device is claimed.

My manager said you Could call Verizon's help desk and file a complaint 1 (800) 922-0204. She advised it is not an easy process but you would want to tell them that you are needing to file that Verizon has claimed your phone as a Verizon direct only device blocking you from using it with an Verizon MVNO and that you have never had Verizon on the device and did not purchase the phone with them. We are unsure of how long the process is or which department would handle the issue. We will have to move you of the device or to another network by 3/19/2020 your device is compatible with our Boom Blue we will send the sim free of charge so please let us know if you want the sim with at least 3 business days left so we can get the card to you in time."

I have been with Boom since 2016 with no issues whatsoever. I purchased my current phone in May 2019, unlocked from Best Buy. So brand new unlocked phone, and never been on Verizon's network as I've only had it a few months. Boom said perhaps I let someone borrow my phone that may have put a Verizon SIM in it temporarily, or it may have been used/tested on Verizon's network before I bought it. I assured them I bought it brand new from Best Buy, have never let anyone take my phone to use, and it's certainly never been on Verizon since I've only had it for five months and have been on Boom for almost four years. I tried calling several different Verizon numbers to resolve this and of course, got nowhere.

I am beyond upset and frustrated with this, and really don't know what to do or where to turn. I don't want to switch networks and prefer not to use Verizon directly. How in the world could Verizon possibly have my IMEI number when it's never been in use with Verizon directly? Can anybody help with this??? Thank you!!!
    We will also look into it but just because you bought from Best Buy doesn’t mean it didn’t have a VZW radio in it that was loaded on purpose or accidentally on their network. Again if it was a wide spread issue then you would see so many more complaints. We are actively working with our wireless partner as well to help clear devices like these for our customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by martin_j001; 03-03-2020 at 01:36 PM.

Page 81 of 92 FirstFirst ... 31 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 LastLast