Page 80 of 92 FirstFirst ... 30 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1369

Thread: boom! Mobile

Carrier(s)
    boom! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I suspect boom! and/or Jeff H. is being sloppy with the description of the issue they are experiencing. Is there more to the issue, such as the actual PHONE NUMBER previously being on Vzw directly?

The difference between your situation and Koogs is that Koogs was a Vzw customer prior to becoming a boom! customer.

The other thing we need clarified is how/why, at least so far, PPC, TW, TF, Net10, ST, and RP have not complained about this issue, and apparently freely accept previously-used-on-Vzw phones.

I haven't seen any complaints from any other Vzw MVNO, either, but that could just be because most other Vzw MVNOs are smaller and don't generate a lot of posts / reports on HoFo and other forums.
    The problem is not be sloppy. It trying to describe a moving target. There is a lot of pages that address these items. All of the VZW MVNO’s have this language. The only one I’m not sure of is Mr Slim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by martin_j001; 03-03-2020 at 01:00 PM.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Koogs View Post
    I did previously come over from Verizon, and I did have a Verizon purchased phone at that time, but that was over a year ago when I changed the phone out.
    When you swapped phones, did you activate the new IMEI & SIM or just move the old SIM?

If you just swapped, Boom! may still be reporting the old phone to Verizon. I known this been an issue with VoLTE phones on TF companies (old phone wasn't VoLTE capable so system said new phone was needed w/ the CDMA shutdown).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H. View Post
    The problem is not be sloppy. It trying to describe a moving target. There is a lot of pages that address these items. All of the VZW MVNO’s have this language. The only one I’m not sure of is Mr Slim.
    But you're currently specifically saying that the problem is that a device was ever on Vzw directly.

So the phone # previously being on Vzw directly is not any part of the problem?

Then why not include buying an unlocked, non-carrier branded device to use with boom! Red as a solution in the email you're sending to affected customers?
    Last edited by martin_j001; 03-03-2020 at 01:00 PM.

Feedback Score
    But you're currently specifically saying that the problem is that a device was ever on Vzw directly.

Then why not include buying an unlocked, non-carrier branded device to use with boom! Red as a solution in the email you're sending to affected customers?
    This is part of my concern about this, although thankfully it's not an issue for me at the moment. I specifically bit the bullet and bought a brand-new, unlocked, non-carrier branded iPhone ... where in the past I've always purchased used phones off Swappa ... to avoid having to deal with VZW's crap surrounding activations on Boom or any other MVNO. (And also to avoid their bloat.)

I'm not sure of all the variables in Koogs' situation ... and because I bit the bullet, large, with the new iPhone, I'm not going to be in the market for a new phone anytime soon ... but I'd like to hear from Jeff a definitive statement that moving forward, there should be no issues with getting a new, never activated, unlocked, non-carrier branded device on the VZW network on Boom.

Carrier(s)
    boom! Mobile
    Feedback Score

The phone number does have an impact on us but we choose not to include them because the penalty isn’t as steep. Every person’s phone wants/needs are different. We are not a device company. We have been fair in how we are handling this and we are willing to support the customer in this transition.

Carrier(s)
    boom! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PRW94 View Post
    This is part of my concern about this, although thankfully it's not an issue for me at the moment. I specifically bit the bullet and bought a brand-new, unlocked, non-carrier branded iPhone ... where in the past I've always purchased used phones off Swappa ... to avoid having to deal with VZW's crap surrounding activations on Boom or any other MVNO. (And also to avoid their bloat.)

I'm not sure of all the variables in Koogs' situation ... and because I bit the bullet, large, with the new iPhone, I'm not going to be in the market for a new phone anytime soon ... but I'd like to hear from Jeff a definitive statement that moving forward, there should be no issues with getting a new, never activated, unlocked, non-carrier branded device on the VZW network on Boom.
    There should be no issue with it but like anything there isn’t a 100% guarantee when dealing with our partner. I have said this many times that it a small amount of customers and we have been shouldering the cost for years. If you scroll through enough threads on here you will see that others went through the same process but the did 1.5 or more years ago.

Last edited by martin_j001; 03-03-2020 at 01:31 PM.

Feedback Score
    There should be no issue with it but like anything there isn’t a 100% guarantee when dealing with our partner. I have said this many times that it a small amount of customers and we have been shouldering the cost for years. If you scroll through enough threads on here you will see that others went through the same process but the did 1.5 or more years ago.

Understood ... but serious question. Could there be a point in the future where it becomes untenable for you ... or maybe any other MVNO in your situation ... to continue offering VZW because they make it so difficult for folks to get phones on the network? I would be leery now of going to Swappa and buying a used phone to try to activate on Boom because it takes an act of God to get someone to share the IMEI with you, or agree to check it for you. And spending a grand on a brand-new, never-activated phone (phone plus uh-oh insurance) is a tall order although I saved for a year to do it.

I think it's obvious VZW would rather have people on their prepaid and is going to stick it to MVNOs. And some of us are caught in a situation where it's VZW or nothing, AT&T service in my area is like tin cans tied with strings and T-Mobile is like people shouting across town at each other.
    Last edited by martin_j001; 03-03-2020 at 01:32 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, Droid Mini, LG Cosmos, Motorola Razr 3vm, Motorola V60, Motorola Startac
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless Postpaid, Boom! Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    So the issue we are discussing has always been an item for us. We have absorb the cost from the beginning and we have decided now that we have added competitive plans from Pink and Blue it’s time to address this issue. The issue has been any device that was with VZW retail at any time triggers a penalty to boom! that is substantial per month on top of the cost of the plan. This affected less than 400 customers but you can do the math of what cost we were absorbing. I hope this helps.
    Jeff, in my case the current phone that has been used on Boom Red for several years, a Moto G5 Plus, was purchased after I ported from Verizon to Boom. The phone was purchased from Best Buy without being assigned, by Best Buy, to any provider. I contacted Boom at the time and your support folks changed the relevant information to remove the older phone (Moto Droid Mini) that was previously purchased many years ago from Verizion and added the Moto G5 Plus in it's place.

Is the problem popping up because I initially ported out of VZW using a VZW purchased phone even though I no longer use that VZW phone on Boom? Or is it possible not all information in my account was updated with the non VZW phone even though the email had the MEID number appears to be the correct number for the non VZW Moto G5 Plus phone. (ETA: I will be contacting Boom support in the morning to discuss this change.)
    Last edited by martin_j001; 03-03-2020 at 01:33 PM.

Carrier(s)
    boom! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bennor View Post
    Jeff, in my case the current phone that has been used on Boom Red for several years, a Moto G5 Plus, was purchased after I ported from Verizon to Boom. The phone was purchased from Best Buy without being assigned, by Best Buy, to any provider. I contacted Boom at the time and your support folks changed the relevant information to remove the older phone (Moto Droid Mini) that was previously purchased many years ago from Verizion and added the Moto G5 Plus in it's place.

Is the problem popping up because I initially ported out of VZW using a VZW purchased phone even though I no longer use that VZW phone on Boom? Or is it possible not all information in my account was updated with the non VZW phone even though the email had the MEID number appears to be the correct number for the non VZW Moto G5 Plus phone. (ETA: I will be contacting Boom support in the morning to discuss this change.)
    Please do so and we will investigate as much as we can. We have even sent receipts to wireless partner showing them the type of phone bought and where it was bought from to prove our point. We look forward to helping you.

Last edited by martin_j001; 03-03-2020 at 01:33 PM.

Carrier(s)
    boom! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PRW94 View Post
    Understood ... but serious question. Could there be a point in the future where it becomes untenable for you ... or maybe any other MVNO in your situation ... to continue offering VZW because they make it so difficult for folks to get phones on the network? I would be leery now of going to Swappa and buying a used phone to try to activate on Boom because it takes an act of God to get someone to share the IMEI with you, or agree to check it for you. And spending a grand on a brand-new, never-activated phone (phone plus uh-oh insurance) is a tall order although I saved for a year to do it.

I think it's obvious VZW would rather have people on their prepaid and is going to stick it to MVNOs. And some of us are caught in a situation where it's VZW or nothing, AT&T service in my area is like tin cans tied with strings and T-Mobile is like people shouting across town at each other.
    So our wireless partner is definitely a pain but this issue isn’t worth ending the relationship over. This % of customers affected is so small in terms of raw numbers but the dollar amount was 7-8k a month in penalties so we needed to address it.

Last edited by martin_j001; 03-03-2020 at 01:34 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, Droid Mini, LG Cosmos, Motorola Razr 3vm, Motorola V60, Motorola Startac
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Koogs View Post
    I just got off the phone with Boom customer support with the same explanation. I'm messaging Verizon to hopefully resolve.

The equipment in question was purchased for full price from Apple as an unlocked phone while I had Boom Mobile. Was never activated on Verizon. So Verizon should not be charging Boom for this equipment.

I really can't stand how these phone companies have their hooks into the equipment so much. Verizon claims a royalty on a phone I bought for full price from a manufacturer. And that apparently will follow the phone no matter which prepaid verizon carrier I go to....

I did previously come over from Verizon, and I did have a Verizon purchased phone at that time, but that was over a year ago when I changed the phone out.
    Pretty much the same situation I"m in. Ported out of VZW with a VZW branded Moto Droid Mini (that had been used on VZW for a good three years if I remember right) to Boom Red back in 2017. Put the Boom Red sim into that Droid Mini. Months later (have to dig up the receipt for the exact date) purchased brand new phone, Moto G5 Plus, from Best Buy. Was not activated by Best Buy on any service. Took out the Boom sim from the Droid Mini and put it into the new G5 Plus at the time then contacted Boom support to make sure everything was working properly. No sim card in that Droid Mini, use it as a MP3 player in airplane mode ever since.

Strange happenings. But knowing VZW as I do I'm not surprised they are forcing the issue with their VZW branded/purchased phones that have been ported to (some) MVNO's. VZW has always been difficult to deal with even on the best days in my past experience with them.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Please do so and we will investigate as much as we can. We have even sent receipts to wireless partner showing them the type of phone bought and where it was bought from to prove our point. We look forward to helping you.
    Thanks. Now off to dig for the current phone sales receipt.
    Last edited by martin_j001; 03-03-2020 at 01:34 PM.

Feedback Score
    So our wireless partner is definitely a pain but this issue isn’t worth ending the relationship over. This % of customers affected is so small in terms of raw numbers but the dollar amount was 7-8k a month in penalties so we needed to address it.

Understand again ... so what kind of phones are the large number of people who aren't affected getting on the VZW network through Boom with?

Sorry to belabor the point and be a pest, appreciate the responsiveness you've always shown here and am totally satisfied with Boom's service, but at some point I'll inevitably get a new phone and it appears to be a total crapshoot as far as what works. I think it's telling that you folks have branched out to cover your bases, but as noted AT&T and T-Mobile simply aren't gonna happen for some folks, like me for instance.
    Last edited by martin_j001; 03-03-2020 at 01:35 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    On the VZW fee issue. Spoke with Boom Support via Chat and they indicated I had to file a dispute with VZW over the IMEI number VZW has on file. Chat person indicated that they would send me the form and additional information on how to proceed via email when their manager gets in.

Did, surprisingly, manage find both the old VZW branded phone sales receipt from 2014 along with the sales receipt for my current phone from 2017. Scanned both to PDF. Also found the Boom letter from 2017 that I got when ordering the sim card. Kind of surprised I still had copies of all that stuff. LOL

Carrier(s)
    boom! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bennor View Post
    On the VZW fee issue. Spoke with Boom Support via Chat and they indicated I had to file a dispute with VZW over the IMEI number VZW has on file. Chat person indicated that they would send me the form and additional information on how to proceed via email when their manager gets in.
    We will file it for you. So after you fill it out just send it back to us. Thanks for the willingness to walk through it with us.

Page 80 of 92 FirstFirst ... 30 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 LastLast