Page 79 of 92 FirstFirst ... 29 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1368

Thread: boom! Mobile

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile and Airalo)
    Feedback Score
    What speeds and ping times are people currently getting with boom! BLUE? I've been disappointed with the high ping times and/or throttled speeds that I've experienced with other AT&T MVNOs.
    Check out my Reno Area Wireless Information & Cellular Guide website for cell site location maps, pictures & more https://RenoWirelessInfo.com

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, Droid Mini, LG Cosmos, Motorola Razr 3vm, Motorola V60, Motorola Startac
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless Postpaid, Boom! Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Anyone get notified that their phone was no longer supported by Verizon and one needs to change plans? After several years of using a Moto G5 Plus on Boom Red, got an email indicating that the phone "is not certified for boom! RED. Our agreement with VZW charges us a penalty fee up to $22 per month for these type of devices."

The Moto website indicates the Moto G5 Plus is supposedly carrier certified (https://www.motorola.com/us/carrier-compatibility) for Verizon.

Anyone have a list of Verizon certified phones for Boom Red? Boom's website is down at the moment ("Can not connect to database. Please check database access information.") so I cannot check their site. The email indicated I'd have to change from Boom Red to Boom Blue or Boom Pink.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bennor View Post
    Anyone get notified that their phone was no longer supported by Verizon and one needs to change plans? After several years of using a Moto G5 Plus on Boom Red, got an email indicating that the phone "is not certified for boom! RED. Our agreement with VZW charges us a penalty fee up to $22 per month for these type of devices." The Moto website indicates the Moto G5 Plus is supposedly carrier certified (https://www.motorola.com/us/carrier-compatibility) for Verizon. Anyone have a list of Verizon certified phones for Boom Red? Boom's website is down at the moment ("Can not connect to database. Please check database access information.") so I cannot check their site. The email indicated I'd have to change from Boom Red to Boom Blue or Boom Pink.
    did you try contacting boom mobile support ??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bennor View Post
    Anyone get notified that their phone was no longer supported by Verizon and one needs to change plans? After several years of using a Moto G5 Plus on Boom Red, got an email indicating that the phone "is not certified for boom! RED. Our agreement with VZW charges us a penalty fee up to $22 per month for these type of devices."

The Moto website indicates the Moto G5 Plus is supposedly carrier certified (https://www.motorola.com/us/carrier-compatibility) for Verizon.

Anyone have a list of Verizon certified phones for Boom Red? Boom's website is down at the moment ("Can not connect to database. Please check database access information.") so I cannot check their site. The email indicated I'd have to change from Boom Red to Boom Blue or Boom Pink.
    https://www.boom.us/ is currently working for me.

That's definitely interesting. Please post back when you find out what prompted that message from boom! for what appears to be a Vzw compatible phone!

Carrier(s)
    boom! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    https://www.boom.us/ is currently working for me.

That's definitely interesting. Please post back when you find out what prompted that message from boom! for what appears to be a Vzw compatible phone!
    So the issue we are discussing has always been an item for us. We have absorb the cost from the beginning and we have decided now that we have added competitive plans from Pink and Blue it’s time to address this issue. The issue has been any device that was with VZW retail at any time triggers a penalty to boom! that is substantial per month on top of the cost of the plan. This affected less than 400 customers but you can do the math of what cost we were absorbing. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by martin_j001; 03-03-2020 at 12:57 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H. View Post
    So the issue we are discussing has always been an item for us. We have absorb the cost from the beginning and we have decided now that we have added competitive plans from Pink and Blue it’s time to address this issue. The issue has been any device that was with VZW retail at any time triggers a penalty to boom! that is substantial per month on top of the cost of the plan. This affected less than 400 customers but you can do the math of what cost we were absorbing. I hope this helps.
    So people that finish a Vzw contract or installment payment plan for a phone are not able to port to boom! Red with that phone?

Also, this will affect people that plan to use boom! Red that buy a used phone from Swappa or eBay that is otherwise clear for activation on Vzw MVNOs, correct?

Where is this documented on the boom.us website?

Since it's a device issue per your post, buying an unlocked, non-carrier branded device to use with boom! Red will solve the issue?

Do you know why other Vzw MVNOs haven't been affected and/or how they absorb the cost?

Hmmm...and while you're here, how long has there been a required "$2.99 Regulatory Recovery Fee" on top of the monthly plan cost?
    Last edited by martin_j001; 03-03-2020 at 12:58 PM.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score

That's a terrible restriction. I'm no lawyer but that sounds like it might be an illegal restraint of trade.

A couple questions:

Does "VZW Retail" mean postpaid Verizon, Verizon Prepaid or both?

I've heard that the user can remove the VZW Retail flag by activating the device on a Verizon MVNO that allows such devices, one of which is supposedly Page Plus. Is that still true?
    Last edited by martin_j001; 03-03-2020 at 12:58 PM.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    I just got off the phone with Boom customer support with the same explanation. I'm messaging Verizon to hopefully resolve.

The equipment in question was purchased for full price from Apple as an unlocked phone while I had Boom Mobile. Was never activated on Verizon. So Verizon should not be charging Boom for this equipment.

I really can't stand how these phone companies have their hooks into the equipment so much. Verizon claims a royalty on a phone I bought for full price from a manufacturer. And that apparently will follow the phone no matter which prepaid verizon carrier I go to....

I did previously come over from Verizon, and I did have a Verizon purchased phone at that time, but that was over a year ago when I changed the phone out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Koogs View Post
    I just got off the phone with Boom customer support with the same explanation. I'm messaging Verizon to hopefully resolve.

The equipment in question was purchased for full price from Apple as an unlocked phone while I had Boom Mobile. Was never activated on Verizon. So Verizon should not be charging Boom for this equipment.

I really can't stand how these phone companies have their hooks into the equipment so much. Verizon claims a royalty on a phone I bought for full price from a manufacturer. And that apparently will follow the phone no matter which prepaid verizon carrier I go to....

I did previously come over from Verizon, and I did have a Verizon purchased phone at that time, but that was over a year ago when I changed the phone out.
    So this seems to contradict what Jeff H. posted above, that "The issue has been any device that was with VZW retail at any time"!

Since Koogs bought his iPhone directly from Apple, it should NOT be affected based on what Jeff H. posted above.

Koogs, we know that, at least so far, PPC, TW, TF, Net10, ST, and RP have not complained about this issue and apparently freely accept previously-used-on-Vzw phones, so you do have other Vzw MVNO options for your iPhone.

Last edited by martin_j001; 03-03-2020 at 12:59 PM.

Feedback Score
    Koogs' situation has me a little concerned although I've not received any email from Boom. I have had for 14 months an unlocked iPhone XR purchased brand spanking new from an Apple Store that has never been on anything BUT Boom, I've never even had a VZW account. I do wish Jeff would clarify what's going on with that, because I have no desire to be on Pink or Blue and lose (as far as I know) the HD calling that I get with Red. Would be a deal breaker for me with Boom.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PRW94 View Post
    Koogs' situation has me a little concerned although I've not received any email from Boom. I have had for 14 months an unlocked iPhone XR purchased brand spanking new from an Apple Store that has never been on anything BUT Boom, I've never even had a VZW account. I do wish Jeff would clarify what's going on with that, because I have no desire to be on Pink or Blue and lose (as far as I know) the HD calling that I get with Red. Would be a deal breaker for me with Boom.
    I suspect boom! and/or Jeff H. is being sloppy with the description of the issue they are experiencing. Is there more to the issue, such as the actual PHONE NUMBER previously being on Vzw directly?

The difference between your situation and Koogs is that Koogs was a Vzw customer prior to becoming a boom! customer.

The other thing we need clarified is how/why, at least so far, PPC, TW, TF, Net10, ST, and RP have not complained about this issue, and apparently freely accept previously-used-on-Vzw phones.

I haven't seen any complaints from any other Vzw MVNO, either, but that could just be because most other Vzw MVNOs are smaller and don't generate a lot of posts / reports on HoFo and other forums.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I suspect boom! and/or Jeff H. is being sloppy with the description of the issue they are experiencing. Is there more to the issue, such as the actual PHONE NUMBER previously being on Vzw directly?

The difference between your situation and Koogs is that Koogs was a Vzw customer prior to becoming a boom! customer.

The other thing we need clarified is how/why, at least so far, PPC, TW, TF, Net10, ST, and RP have not complained about this issue, and apparently freely accept previously-used-on-Vzw phones.

I haven't seen any complaints from any other Vzw MVNO, either, but that may be because most other Vzw MVNOs are smaller and don't generate a lot of posts / reports on HoFo and other forums.
    I kind of figure your first paragraph is the operative deal here.

I also kind of figure Mr. Slim's operation might be able to absorb a little more overhead than the folks at Boom are. Or either has enough clout to tell Big Red to piss off.

Carrier(s)
    boom! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    That's a terrible restriction. I'm no lawyer but that sounds like it might be an illegal restraint of trade.

A couple questions:

Does "VZW Retail" mean postpaid Verizon, Verizon Prepaid or both?

I've heard that the user can remove the VZW Retail flag by activating the device on a Verizon MVNO that allows such devices, one of which is supposedly Page Plus. Is that still true?
    We have fought this many times. The term VZW retail does include postpaid and prepaid. So we have tried it many different ways in terms of porting numbers to Sprint and then bring it back over and nothing has cleared it out. We are willing to test any suggestions but we have been fighting this for 4 years and the response is always the same from our wireless partner....”The language isn’t changing and if you don’t like it our attorney’s are ready to hear your complaint.” So a nice way to say we have more resources than you and you will spend more fighting it than dealing with it.

Last edited by martin_j001; 03-03-2020 at 12:59 PM.

Carrier(s)
    boom! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If you haven’t received the email then you are fine. It was less than 400 customers and they have all been delivered.

Feedback Score
    I kind of figure your first paragraph is the operative deal here.

I also kind of figure Mr. Slim's operation might be able to absorb a little more overhead than the folks at Boom are. Or either has enough clout to tell Big Red to piss off.
    Yeah. But as you know, RP (Red Pocket) is independent of America Movil.

There are also other smaller Vzw MVNOs besides RP, including Pix Wireless, Selectel Wireless, Expo Mobile, and US Mobile, just to name a few that come to mind.

Page 79 of 92 FirstFirst ... 29 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 LastLast