Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 3 GB for $15 per month Tablet Plan

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7, Galaxy S4, iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (Data-Only)
    Feedback Score

3 GB for $15 per month Tablet Plan

Has anyone got any experience with this? I noticed this promotional plan at around 10 in the evening, which meant I couldn't talk with anyone on the phone, but Fido did offer their CHAT feature up to midnight. The person I spoke with (identified as Ali) started out on the wrong foot by not directly answering any questions I posed. I actually asked "are you a chatbot?" and they replied with "No, I'm a human". Now assuming for a minute I was talking to a human, it took quite a while to get her to answer my questions directly.

She gave me the impression that if I replaced my exiting FlexData plan (for which I pay $35 per month if I use over 1 GB of data in a single month), I'll suddenly get to consume up to 3 GB (and I rarely use more than 2.0 to 2.5 GB per month) and pay just $15 per month for as long as I keep the plan.

She also said that I'd keep the full LTE speeds, and could use the data as I wished (including tethering). The offer is good until September 30th, and so I opted NOT to go for it at that time, owing to the rather rough start the chat got off to.

I asked how Fido could afford to offer to have me pay just $15 per month (from now on) instead of $35, and her only response to that was "It's a back to school special". I then asked if I had to be a student, and she said no.

I'm not sure why I didn't just jump on it, because I could always return to the FlexData plan if I wanted, but then I realized that they'd changed the price structure for that plan and I'd go from paying $35 (which is grandfathered) to $40 (I always uses more than 1 GB of data).

So if this is what it appears to be, anyone on the FlexData plan would be a fool not to jump at it. Even if you routinely use over 1 GB on Flex (and thus pay the top tier price of $40, or $35 if you are grandfathered on an older plan), the new plan still only charges $10 per GB for overage. So, using 5 GB on this $15 plan would still only cost you $35, which is either what you are presently paying, or $5 less if you aren't grandfathered.

I'm going to call Fido tomorrow and SPEAK with a rep on the phone to make sure there were no misunderstandings in my chat session with Ali. However, if anyone here has already made the jump, can you shed any light on whether it works the same as the FlexData plan, only CHEAPER.

P.S. For anyone reading this thread and are not sure what we'd talking about, this isn't an ADD-ON, this IS THE PLAN. You get 3 GB of monthly data and your TOTAL bill for the month is $15 plus tax. The plan is designed for use on a non-phone device like a tablet, but Fido doesn't care if you put this plan on a smartphone. Note however that phone calls are RATHER EXPENSIVE ($1 a minute I believe), so you'd not go this route unless you provided a non-network phone alternative such as Google Voice, Skype, or a VoIP line. The same goes for SMS. While incoming texts are free here as they are on all Fido plans, you'll have to pay (I think) 35 cents per sent SMS. Again, if you can provide a non-network texting solution (I use SMS built into my VoIP.ms account) you don't need to be concerned about this.
    Last edited by Steve Punter; 09-07-2016 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Added P.S.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I switched to this plan on Saturday. This was after i noticed i paid $25 for using around 300MB, on my recent bill and seeing a thread on 'Redflagdeals' about this. I even added another line for my LG GII Tablet i got when it was offered for $120 by Fido earlier this year. So i have 2 tablet lines both with this up to 3GB for $15 plan.
    This is cheaper than the current flex plan, unless you use under to 150MB in which case you pay $10 per month.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (Data-Only)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply. That's good to hear, and so I'll most definitely switch to it tomorrow. It seems almost too good to be true.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Punter View Post
    Has anyone got any experience with this? I noticed this promotional plan at around 10 in the evening, which meant I couldn't talk with anyone on the phone, but Fido did offer their CHAT feature up to midnight. The person I spoke with (identified as Ali) started out on the wrong foot by not directly answering any questions I posed. I actually asked "are you a chatbot?" and they replied with "No, I'm a human". Now assuming for a minute I was talking to a human, it took quite a while to get her to answer my questions directly.

I'm curious... What was your original question?
    Disclaimer: All my posts, replies, comments and/or opinions expressed on www.howardforums.com are my own contribution only. The views expressed on this page do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of Fido, its management or employees.
    Fritz Z24...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (Data-Only)
    Feedback Score
    You mean when I used the chat feature?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone know for sure if this data can be tethered/used on a phone etc? I know some carriers differentiate between these and charge PPU rates if the SIM is not in a tablet. Bell has given me mixed messages on my tablet plan RE: tethering so I've never tried it.

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crab9000 View Post
    Does anyone know for sure if this data can be tethered/used on a phone etc? I know some carriers differentiate between these and charge PPU rates if the SIM is not in a tablet. Bell has given me mixed messages on my tablet plan RE: tethering so I've never tried it.
    Honestly, they don't know. You just have to put the correct APN that you're provisioned for into the device of your choice and it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Punter View Post
    Thanks for the reply. That's good to hear, and so I'll most definitely switch to it tomorrow. It seems almost too good to be true.
    The plan is at the bottom of this page:
    http://www.fido.ca/consumer/tablets
    Bell SK+fongo:
    $85 Unlimited NA, NA text, US Roaming, 15GB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (Data-Only)
    Feedback Score
    I have been on the FlexData plan for almost 2 years, and I can assure you that TETHERING is simply included in the data offered. I've used tethering countless times, and there has NEVER been an additional charge for it.

I'm now on the $15-for-3-GB plan and the rep assured me that there would be no changes to the services or offerings I got over that of the FlexData, including tethering. Of course, I'll have to wait until I see my bill at the end of the month, but I will most certainly make sure I do some tethering before then to see what happens. I've already done speed tests to make sure I get full LTE speeds, and certainly nothing has changed there. When I ran my test at around 10 AM, I got 54 Mbps down and 27 Mbps up. That's actually pretty good for a daytime speed, so I have no issues there.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (Data-Only)
    Feedback Score
    Okay, I just wanted to add that tethering DOES WORK on the new $15 plan. I tethered my computer and I performed a couple of speed tests, which consumed over 100 MB of data. Of course, I'll still have to wait until I can see the bill at the end of this month to be sure it didn't generate an additional charge, but I don't believe it will.

Device(s)
    950XL
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers (cell), Fido (data)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. Has the $10/1 GB, charged in $10 increments been in effect a long time too? I barely actually ever call anyone. I figure a voip service that can port my number would be all I need... There really isn't anytime I don't have data and if no data, usually wifi is available
    Microsoft Lumia 950XL Dual Sim
    Rogers talk text only, Fido 3gb/$15 tab plan

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (Data-Only)
    Feedback Score
    The $10 per gigabyte has been the overage charge on the FlexData plan for the almost 2 years I had that, so it's certainly nothing new.

For phone service, I have VoIP.ms. At my house, I have an analog telephone adapter (ATA) so that I can use the service on my existing home phones. On my smartphone, I run Zoiper and my phone is just another extension on my home lines. VoIP.ms also offers text messaging (REAL texting) on their service, and I use my own app (VoIP.ms Console) to receive and send text messages. I therefore NEVER use my smartphone to make Fido-network calls, nor do I use their native SMS.

So now I pay approximately $5 to $7 per month for VoIP.ms (for phone calls and SMS), and now $15 per month for my smartphone data service. Not only that, but I can lock my phone onto LTE, because I don't need the WCDMA fallback necessary for regular phone calls.
    Last edited by Steve Punter; 09-22-2016 at 07:13 AM.

Feedback Score
    I had the previously offered 1 gig for 15 dollars per month tablet plan which I had been using in a dual sim smartphone. I chatted a few days ago and asked to be switched to this new 3 gig plan. Change takes effect in a couple of days (end of my current cycle). Really a good deal. Hope other carriers (Rogers are you listening to your other self) will join this data for a reasonable cost party!

Device(s)
    950XL
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers (cell), Fido (data)
    Feedback Score
    Too chicken to go voip but decided to go with this for data and down grade my rogers to the 35$ talk and text plan. Not bad deal, unlimited calling Canada ld, 6pm evenings call display, vm...

Maybe I'll eventually go 100% voip in time

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fruvous View Post
    Honestly, they don't know. You just have to put the correct APN that you're provisioned for into the device of your choice and it will work.

The plan is at the bottom of this page:
    http://www.fido.ca/consumer/tablets
    What is the correct apn if your using a sierra wireless hotspot?

Device(s)
    Blackberry KeyOne
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ynohtna_lude View Post
    Thanks for the info. Has the $10/1 GB, charged in $10 increments been in effect a long time too? I barely actually ever call anyone. I figure a voip service that can port my number would be all I need... There really isn't anytime I don't have data and if no data, usually wifi is available
    I'm using this data plan with a service called Hushed.com which if you open a support ticket, you can have your number ported.

$4.99 unlimited north american calling, text, and MMS + $15 for my data plan = $20/mo roughly.

Love it! And Hushed is Canadian. They're based in Hull, QC.
    Wind Mobile Customer Since: March 2014

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast