Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: LTE Advanced?

Feedback Score

LTE Advanced?

Verizon launched LTE Advanced yesterday in 400 some markets. Now when will AT&T be doing the same?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    AT&T already is using Carrier Aggregation around the country, they just haven't made a marketing splash out of it yet. When they reach a certain level of deployment, I'm sure they will do the same thing Verizon has done blare it from the rooftops. Right now AT&T needs to focus on upgrading the ENTIRETY of their US system to something above 2G/EDGE. And as long as they are spectrum-starved in some markets, and that is exacerbated by their insistence on having "4G"/HSPA around for fall-back, which uses up some spectrum, carrier aggregation will be a very difficult thing for them to do in a lot of places.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge (SM-G935A), GNote 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), VZW (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by catt3911 View Post
    Verizon launched LTE Advanced yesterday in 400 some markets. Now when will AT&T be doing the same?
    What ggore said, it's a marketing term. LTE-A is basically an upgrade to the 1st layer of LTE technology on a cellular network. AT&T's been doing it for a good while now, it's just Carrier Aggregation, where multiple LTE channels are bonded together for increased downlink (read: faster download speeds and better network capacity). Just like Verizon brands their enhanced LTE services as "Advanced Calling", but AT&T only markets "HD voice" and "video calling", same basic principle. I think that AT&T really should market their "perks" more but it's apparent they're not too concerned with adding more subs via postpaid.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Yup. Both AT&T and Verizon started deploying CA on their sites (not all) in my area about a year ago or so.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    AT&T already is using Carrier Aggregation around the country, they just haven't made a marketing splash out of it yet. When they reach a certain level of deployment, I'm sure they will do the same thing Verizon has done blare it from the rooftops. Right now AT&T needs to focus on upgrading the ENTIRETY of their US system to something above 2G/EDGE. And as long as they are spectrum-starved in some markets, and that is exacerbated by their insistence on having "4G"/HSPA around for fall-back, which uses up some spectrum, carrier aggregation will be a very difficult thing for them to do in a lot of places.
    Disagree. AT&T has pretty healthy spectrum holdings regardless if you think some is wasted on hspa+ on 850.
    AT&T: 2003 (gophone) & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Cingular: 2003-2006
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2003 & 2011-2013

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    Disagree. AT&T has pretty healthy spectrum holdings regardless if you think some is wasted on hspa+ on 850.
    Is it accurate that the healthy spectrum holdings that you refer to is AWS, largely undeployed but starting to now?

Feedback Score
    They really need to market it...

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Att has pretty good spectrum just need to utilize it and improve their marketing also in my opinion

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    Att has pretty good spectrum just need to utilize it and improve their marketing also in my opinion
    They wasted all that time trying to buy T-Mobile, not to mention how the iPhone almost killed them. They always wait too late.

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score

LTE Advanced?

They wasted all that time trying to buy T-Mobile, not to mention how the iPhone almost killed them. They always wait too late.
    Usually a day late and your dollar more.

Edit: I hate how AT&T can get away from enabling volte or Wi-Fi calling on the nexus line. I recently sold my nexus 5x due to areas that only have 700 and upper bands for coverage. No 850 hspa so I wouldn't get phone calls or drop them like crazy on my nexus.
    iPhone Xs Max , At&t Unlimited Plus Austin, TX .................... Grande 1000/50, $69.99/month

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    As others have indicated, AT&T did it about a year before Verizon. In fact they were the first carrier to fire up carrier aggregation. As for when they'll do a press release about it? Probably soon now that Verizon has done it.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    I don't think AT&T should bother with marketing CA. CA became obsolete once people started talking about LTE-U/LAA and 5G.
    Instead of spending money on marketing, they should be spending on the thing that really matters, their network. The AT&T brand is strong enough so they don't need to tout something that people can already experience. If they keep investing in their network then that in of itself will speak for how reliable the brand is.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    Regardless, of what others say..
    It's a given at this point that AT&T will hold off reframing 850 MHz from HSPA+ to LTE until the very last minute.
    AT&T had plenty of opportunities to start the widespread conversion of HSPA+ to LTE on 850 MHz, but instead they deployed LTE on 700 MHz, AWS, PCS and WCS in that order. If AT&T really wanted to deploy B5 on a widespread basis then they would have done that by now, but it looks like they wanted to use the higher capacity, high bands first. A

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs 256 GB Gold (Dual SIM)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jalan View Post
    Is it accurate that the healthy spectrum holdings that you refer to is AWS, largely undeployed but starting to now?
    AWS is widely deployed where they have it.

They have 20 MHz of spectrum in WCS, 20 MHz of spectrum in AWS-3 (Not available for deployment yet) and various amounts of PCS they can still tap into.

B4+B30+B66+B14 (20 MHz + 10 MHz + 10 MHz + 10 MHz)
    Duluth, MN (Test is AT&T, eSIM causes glitch for Carrier)

Feedback Score
    Will AWS-3 require new phones?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast