Thread: TF: 365 day extension

Device(s)
    Nokia 6610
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score

TF: 365 day extension

I'm a ways from having to do this again, but just out of interest I would like to know.

As a brand new customer I purchased online a bit of voice, data & added the 365 day extension since I don't really use much voice time. The voice & data I eventually got to work through 2 different difficult transactions but each time the 365 day extension was declined with TF saying it was my credit card not taking it despite charging for the other stuff, which make no sense.

I heard solving this issue just involves a few minutes of chat, but since I was never charged (which I guess is different), I had to spend a long time with customer service. Eventually I guess to get rid of me, they gave me the 365 day extension for free, which is nice but it still wasn't worth it due to all the time I spent.

Was the difficulty of not even be charged for the 365 day extension due to me being a brand new customer and maybe I needed to be in the system a bit longer? Will it at least charge me next time so it will make it easier to complain? Is there any way of adding 365 days that increases the chances of success?

It baffles me that they continue to have this issue for so long and also that they don't even advertise the 365 day extension. That is a story in itself that I would like to know the reason for.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    It's just the buggy nature of TF site/programming. From what I've read, it either asks you for the phone number or the serial number of the phone for which you want to purchase the 365-day extension. If using the phone number doesn't work, then try the serial number, and vice versa.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    It's just the buggy nature of TF site/programming. From what I've read, it either asks you for the phone number or the serial number of the phone for which you want to purchase the 365-day extension. If using the phone number doesn't work, then try the serial number, and vice versa.
    Makes no sense because CS was involved in chat, not just the automated system. You have to do the 365 day extension with a purchase and that had been done. Luck of the draw I imagine.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    First I've heard of an issue purchasing the extra days. Some occasional issues with them being added to phone/account, but not trouble buying/paying for them.

Maybe login to your account before/during purchase?

They have never advertised the addons, and it was never clear when they would be offered.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6610
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    I got it offered on the 1 Gig data allotment, so I'm happy about that since that's all I will likely buy at this point, unless my voice runs out but I tend to use voip when I am able to. It was probably due to me not having an account, since I was a brand new customer. New customers probably don't buy the 365 day extension much.

I would like see the CEO of tracfone explain why they don't advertise more adequately triple minutes and the 365 day card. It's weird how they like to make their packages seem more expensive or with less options. It is sort of the opposite of how you would expect a business to act, but maybe they got their reasons for it.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    They did, look at the smartphone packing, but people seemed to have trouble understanding.

So, they added the new smartphone only cards with each bucket explicitly stated. No math involved.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    They did, look at the smartphone packing, but people seemed to have trouble understanding.

So, they added the new smartphone only cards with each bucket explicitly stated. No math involved.
    Yes, everything specifically for smartphones is face value, but new customers see the old stuff online and in stores which causes confusion.

If Tracfone made all feature phones TMFL, might it be possible to use the face value cards universal and drop the old airtime cards? The calculations are not in the phone, but in the TF database.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    If Tracfone made all feature phones TMFL, might it be possible to use the face value cards universal and drop the old airtime cards? The calculations are not in the phone, but in the TF database.
    The single bucket phones (feature phones and dumb phones) could all be made triple minutes, but they can't use the 3 bucket cards. The software in the phone doesn't support it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    The single bucket phones (feature phones and dumb phones) could all be made triple minutes, but they can't use the 3 bucket cards. The software in the phone doesn't support it.
    I was thinking about BYOP feature phones that got the 3 bucket system, but they must be using standard airtime cards. Good followup question in another thread to those users whether the talk/text/data are being charged from each bucket.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    I was thinking about BYOP feature phones that got the 3 bucket system, but they must be using standard airtime cards. Good followup question in another thread to those users whether the talk/text/data are being charged from each bucket.
    My wife's Z222 BYOP flip phone uses the 3-bucket system. Haven't added any kind of time card to it because it has loads of units, but I'll bet the "smartphone only" cards will work for it. Talk/text/data are being charged separately from each bucket.

Attachment 144228

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I was thinking about BYOP feature phones that got the 3 bucket system, but they must be using standard airtime cards.
    BYOP is all treated the same. 3 buckets used the same as smartphones.
    This was tested back when TF started BYOP using a feature phone.

Now whether the non-smartphone can actually use all 3 buckets is another matter.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    but I'll bet the "smartphone only" cards will work for it.
    BYOP = smartphone as far as TF is concerned. They don't generally differentiate.

BUT, I'll note that the labels on the website state "Smartphone and BYOP"
    again, lumping them together, explicitly now.