Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rip ron

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score

Rip ron

Rogers One Number isn't accepting any new sign ups any more. Wonder how long they'll keep it running or if they'll just shut it down soon.

Bell SK+fongo:
    $85 Unlimited NA, NA text, US Roaming, 15GB

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    It'll be a sad day for me. However, Continuum for Windows 10 softens the blow, as I can plug in a keyboard and mouse and get a rich PC-like experience for sending/receiving SMSs (which is all I ever used RON for). Not sure what we'll do at work, though, as we use RON daily there.
    Asus ROG Phone -- SIM 1: Rogers (10GB + unlimited) -- SIM 2: Public Mobile (talk/text/250 MB)

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I had to give it up to get wifi calling. Use wifi calling all the time so no big deal for me.

Too bad for those who use it though, that's a bummer.

Feedback Score
    Is Wifi calling generally available or just for a few phones on a few plans?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Not sure on availability. It works on my old iPhone 5S and the iPhone 6S I currently use.

Not sure if it works with Samsungs and other brands.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Basically my only reason for owning a cell phone. I forward all my calls to a landline while maintaining the ability to answer on my cell phone as well (vs. reg call forwarding which doesn't ring your cell).

I don't care for all the other RON "Features", just the call hunting... The apps are not useful to me.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cloneman View Post
    Basically my only reason for owning a cell phone. I forward all my calls to a landline while maintaining the ability to answer on my cell phone as well (vs. reg call forwarding which doesn't ring your cell).

I don't care for all the other RON "Features", just the call hunting... The apps are not useful to me.
    I'm going to move my number to voip.ms. They have call hunting cheap. FreePhoneLine has it too and is even cheaper.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fruvous View Post
    I'm going to move my number to voip.ms. They have call hunting cheap. FreePhoneLine has it too and is even cheaper.
    Yeah, I'm not too fond of answering text messages with an app, and then calling people back on my cell phone with a different caller ID showing up.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5 | Previously iPhone 4, BlackBerry Bold 9700, iPhone 3GS, BlackBerry Curve 8900
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    That's too bad. RON is the greatest Rogers feature or 'hack' no-one had ever heard about.

It was essentially an open loophole to make and take unlimited calls without touching your airtime bucket. Wi-Fi calling does use your local airtime bucket. RON was also excellent for travelling as you could easily make calls or check your VM/texts using the app on a foreign sim card- can't do that with Wi-Fi calling.
    200 Daytime, Unlimited E/W @ 6PM, Unlimited Messaging, Caller-ID, Visual Voicemail, 6GB Data | $56

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lhsonic View Post
    That's too bad. RON is the greatest Rogers feature or 'hack' no-one had ever heard about.

It was essentially an open loophole to make and take unlimited calls without touching your airtime bucket. Wi-Fi calling does use your local airtime bucket. RON was also excellent for travelling as you could easily make calls or check your VM/texts using the app on a foreign sim card- can't do that with Wi-Fi calling.
    It wasn't a loophole nor a hack.

Most plans have unlimited minutes, so who cares?

I travel a couple of times a year, usually to the USA so I just use RLH. I use wifi calling every day in buildings that don't have cellular signal. Wifi Calling > RON for me by a long shot. I used RON for it's wifi calling features. All that did was leave you with a dead battery after about an hour and a half. RON was useless for phone calls via the RON app.

As I said, some people will miss this feature but most won't care.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fruvous View Post
    Problem is none of the SIP operators have good SMS/MMS forwarding support. I use voip.ms to make calls to the US while having it show my regular number but SMS is a pain and I need it enough I can't afford to mess with it. Even a lot of messaging apps like whatsapp use your phone number as your account so it's confusing for your contacts if you have different numbers. What we need is Google Voice in Canada but I doubt that will ever happen. RON is at least useful when you don't have a cell connection or you're travelling. For the former, WiFi calling is probably more useful, but from what I can tell it's only supported on a handful of phones, I don't know if it's supported on corporate plans and I'd have to disable my RON to test it, risking losing it forever...

I just got an email saying they're going to switch me off my grandfathered corporate plan adding 18% to my bill. I'm seriously considering getting a Project Fi account through my brother in the US as it'll probably be cheaper and more useful. The only issue is then I'm stuck with an american number so anyone who tries to call or text me in Canada is going to end up paying long distance fees. If voip.ms had good text forwarding or a decent android texting app I'd port my number to it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Check the play store. There are a few SMS apps for voip.ms

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tinaa View Post
    Problem is none of the SIP operators have good SMS/MMS forwarding support. I use voip.ms to make calls to the US while having it show my regular number but SMS is a pain and I need it enough I can't afford to mess with it. Even a lot of messaging apps like whatsapp use your phone number as your account so it's confusing for your contacts if you have different numbers. What we need is Google Voice in Canada but I doubt that will ever happen. RON is at least useful when you don't have a cell connection or you're travelling. For the former, WiFi calling is probably more useful, but from what I can tell it's only supported on a handful of phones, I don't know if it's supported on corporate plans and I'd have to disable my RON to test it, risking losing it forever...

I just got an email saying they're going to switch me off my grandfathered corporate plan adding 18% to my bill. I'm seriously considering getting a Project Fi account through my brother in the US as it'll probably be cheaper and more useful. The only issue is then I'm stuck with an american number so anyone who tries to call or text me in Canada is going to end up paying long distance fees. If voip.ms had good text forwarding or a decent android texting app I'd port my number to it.
    WiFi calling works on Corporate Plans, I'm on a corporate plan using WiFi calling on my iPhone 6s.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info guys.

Device(s)
    Bold
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    RON was great...in theory

However the battery life hit + the lack of quality calling on non perfect full bars LTE made it difficult to use

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast