Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Confirmed - Smartphone on TF/VZ doesn't roam

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score

Confirmed - Smartphone on TF/VZ doesn't roam

At least a sample of one...I just came back from my annual trip to the Cessna Club get-together in Clinton, IA. I drove this year instead of flying. I brought along my main U2 on TF/VZ and my backup Phoenix 2 on TF/AT&T. The U2 worked in Des Moines. But when I tried to make a call from a rest stop on I-35 near Osceola, IA there was no service. Took out my Phoenix 2 and it had service. When I got home, I checked the Verizon coverage and it shows Osceola is in a Prepaid Roaming area. AT&T map shows there's GoPhone service for Osceola.

Attachment 143528

Attachment 143529

Attachment 143530
    Last edited by hpham; 07-31-2016 at 04:24 PM.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sounds about right! For anyone that needs Verizon network based prepaid service on a smartphone with roaming included, I believe Selectel Wireless is your only choice.

Do AT&T smartphones on Tracfone roam like Straight Talk AT&T service?
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    Do AT&T smartphones on Tracfone roam like Straight Talk AT&T service?
    Someone in the forum reported that he had roaming service in Arizona with a smartphone on TF/AT&T.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Someone in the forum reported that he had roaming service in Arizona with a smartphone on TF/AT&T.
    So....why didnt you swing by AZ on your way back from clinton and check it out for yoself?? hahaha.

Feedback Score
    I have good TF/VZ service over much of western CO/eastern UT. A couple years ago I went to Vernal, UT and had no service. My spare TF/AT&T flip phone had service there. A friend of mine has straight Verizon service and she says her phone roams in Vernal.

Device(s)
    iphone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    This was confirmed several years ago by TF customers who traveled through southern Kentucky. At that time Verizon used Bluegrass Cellular as the coverage partner and probably still does.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I did a search on the forum and the area seems to be eastern New Mexico. Significant because there are no other reports of GSM roaming far as I can remember.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ing+new+mexico

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I did a search on the forum and the area seems to be eastern New Mexico.
    I stand corrected. I remember that it was in a SW state, but I was off by one state.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It was probably Commnet. AT&T and T-Mobile roam on them in various western states - Straight Talk roams on them, too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    It was probably Commnet. AT&T and T-Mobile roam on them in various western states - Straight Talk roams on them, too.
    Not Commnet as they don't have coverage on the I-40 corridor where the TF AT&T roaming was found in eastern NM. My guess is that it was native T-Mobile.

Name:  Commnet.JPG
Views: 690
Size:  96.7 KB

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastor Marty View Post
    This was confirmed several years ago by TF customers who traveled through southern Kentucky. At that time Verizon used Bluegrass Cellular as the coverage partner and probably still does.
    But they would get LTE data (with a VZ LTE device) on Bluegrass thanks to the LTE in Rural America partnership (Bluegrass was the first partner)

It just doesn't get you CDMA for voice or 3G data.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Mine tried to roam on one occasion. I have a MXPE on VZ with TF. I was in my bathroom (of all places!) - a known dead zone - when the little r showed next to the signal strength icon (no bars). I tried to make a phone call but the r disappeared, the call didn't go through.

Device(s)
    iphone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    But they would get LTE data (with a VZ LTE device) on Bluegrass thanks to the LTE in Rural America partnership (Bluegrass was the first partner)

Not necessarily. Very few MVNO using Verizon offer roaming. Straight Talk Verizon does not have roaming on Bluegrass.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Not necessarily. Very few MVNO using Verizon offer roaming. Straight Talk Verizon does not have roaming on Bluegrass.
    Have you tried a LTE device on Straight Talk in a Bluegrass area?

All the VZW MVNOs have been reported to roam on the LTE in Rural America partners.

Again, this is LTE data only (since no VoLTE on the MVNOs), not CDMA voice or 3G data.

But VoIP apps should work. Hangouts, GrooveIP, Ring.To, Skype, etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post

Why do you say that, Pastor Marty? Have you personally tried LTE data with your Vzw LTE capable smartphone using TF service in a Bluegrass Mobile area, or are you just spreading potential misinformation with no real personal knowledge or any other reason to doubt that LTE works in areas covered by the Vzw LTEiRA program? Please let us know!

Based on what has been reported on HoFo, due to the Vzw LTEiRA program, LTE should work in ALL Vzw MVNOs in all Vzw LTEiRA areas.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast