Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Driving to Sacramento from LA. How is the network?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscustomer View Post
    The Central Valley is from Redding to Bakersfield
    You're right... I was thinking central California. Maybe the op can specify if they will be taking 5 or 99. If 99 they will encounter bands 4+12 through much of their drive with pretty good LTE coverage.
    $25 Cricket Wireless Signup Bonus

Cricket offers a $25 referral credit for new subscribers who are referred by another user. Simply use the link above to claim your bonus.

Device(s)
    iPhone X Factory Unlocked/Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Driving to Sacramento from LA. How is the network?

Quote Originally Posted by manhole View Post
    You're right... I was thinking central California. Maybe the op can specify if they will be taking 5 or 99. If 99 they will encounter bands 4+12 through much of their drive with pretty good LTE coverage.
    Data coverage wise 99 is definitely the better option. I have not been down I-5 in a while I also no longer have t-mobile but when I did have t-mobile and drove down I-5 I was mostly on EDGE with a bit of 3G here and there very little 3G though maybe coverage is better if they have any B12 LTE there now

Feedback Score
    Redding to Sacramento is the "Sacramento Valley"; from Sacramento to Bakersfield is the "San Joaquin Valley"... Both encompass the "Central Valley"...

:-)

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmullins81 View Post
    Redding to Sacramento is the "Sacramento Valley"; from Sacramento to Bakersfield is the "San Joaquin Valley"... Both encompass the "Central Valley"...

:-)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centra...y_(California)

Tivoman: if you have an Andriod phone and drive I5, maybe you could run CellMapper on your trip.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Exactly!!!

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yep, and it's labeled differently in different parts, the area from Sacramento north to Redding, Chico and Oroville is known as the Sacramento Valley, South of Sacramento it's known as the San Joaquin Valley, which is where Amtrak's San Joaquin Corridor trains get their name. The highest point in the Central Valley is Sutter Buttes, near Yuba City, Colusa and Marysville, it's the remains of an ancient volcano, and the smallest independent mountain range in the world.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=23786 Sutter Buttes

http://www.livescience.com/22912-sma...nge-photo.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutter_Buttes

https://www.amtrak.com/san-joaquin-train San Joaquin Corridor trains

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+, iPad Pro 10.5, Samsung HotSpot Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centra...y_(California)

Tivoman: if you have an Andriod phone and drive I5, maybe you could run CellMapper on your trip.
    I used to have an android phone, but now I have a iPhone 6+. I will not be able to see band 12, but my wife's iPhone has band 12 (iPhone 6S)

It looks like I'll be going via 99 way.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tivoman View Post
    I used to have an android phone, but now I have a iPhone 6+. I will not be able to see band 12, but my wife's iPhone has band 12 (iPhone 6S)

It looks like I'll be going via 99 way.
    Good, 5 is boooooooriiiing

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Was looking at Neville's account (T-Mobile CTO) and he tweeted that the 5 between LA and SF should be covered with LTE by year end. 700MHz by mid next year.

https://twitter.com/nevilleray/statu...28674444177408
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    Good, 5 is boooooooriiiing

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    That goes for a lot of the Central Desert - I mean Central Valley.
    I-5 you can make good time as long as there isn't construction or an accident.
    CA-99 - hope nobody falls asleep and runs into oncoming traffic (has happened a lot) - speeds are slower, more pit stops available.
    Only 'decent' I-5 stops... Los Banos - Andersen Pea Soup, Harris Ranch Steak
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    That goes for a lot of the Central Desert - I mean Central Valley.
    I-5 you can make good time as long as there isn't construction or an accident.
    CA-99 - hope nobody falls asleep and runs into oncoming traffic (has happened a lot) - speeds are slower, more pit stops available.
    Only 'decent' I-5 stops... Los Banos - Andersen Pea Soup, Harris Ranch Steak
    Lol Well, Bakersfield is just about desert, that's true, but the Central Valley is the most productive farmland in the world, it contributes a lot to making California the number one Agricultural producing state in the United States.

Myself, when going down the San Joaquin Valley, I prefer to either take one of Amtrak's San Joaquin Corridor trains, or drive 99, like you said, more places to stop, things to see, and, being a train fan, there's a lot more action 5 is only if I have to lol I like the smaller, more traditional highways anyway, interstates are so bland and have little to no character, just endless boring Now, in the Sacramento Valley, I use a combo of 99 and 5, and Amtrak's Coast Starlight when I can.
    Last edited by ilvla2; 07-20-2016 at 07:44 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    CA-99 - hope nobody falls asleep and runs into oncoming traffic (has happened a lot)
    I don't understand this statement... You make it sound as if 99 is a 2-lane undivided road.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't understand this statement... You make it sound as if 99 is a 2-lane undivided road.
    It happens a lot on both 99 and I-5; cars magically jump barriers when going high speed. But honestly I thought it happened more on I-5... difference is you're really far from any major hospital (or paramedic/fire crews) on I-5, so people seem to die a lot out there. It's always on our local news.

I live southwest of Fresno so don't do LA to SF, but when going to LA or SF I've used both, since I have easy access to both. I enjoy I-5 more simply because you can drive faster (cars move faster and not as many cops), seems less stressful since you only have two lanes to worry about and no constant on/off ramps, and because it's so boring and dull, it seems time passes by faster (you can't easily think 'wow I'm barely passing Delano...'). CA-99 seems to be in poorer condition, slower, has more lanes and ramps to worry about, full of slow truckers in the middle lane, and some counties have rude cops just looking to write you up for going a little over the limit (do a trial by declaration/mail if you get a ticket; worked for me!). Then again, I might be biased since I drive on the 99 constantly.

Or if you don't need a car, just do Greyhound/Megabus for cheapness, or Amtrak for the adventure. If you're a good sleeper, do an overnight bus.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    It happens a lot on both 99 and I-5; cars magically jump barriers when going high speed. But honestly I thought it happened more on I-5... difference is you're really far from any major hospital (or paramedic/fire crews) on I-5, so people seem to die a lot out there. It's always on our local news.

I live southwest of Fresno so don't do LA to SF, but when going to LA or SF I've used both, since I have easy access to both. I enjoy I-5 more simply because you can drive faster (cars move faster and not as many cops), seems less stressful since you only have two lanes to worry about and no constant on/off ramps, and because it's so boring and dull, it seems time passes by faster (you can't easily think 'wow I'm barely passing Delano...'). CA-99 seems to be in poorer condition, slower, has more lanes and ramps to worry about, full of slow truckers in the middle lane, and some counties have rude cops just looking to write you up for going a little over the limit (do a trial by declaration/mail if you get a ticket; worked for me!). Then again, I might be biased since I drive on the 99 constantly.

Or if you don't need a car, just do Greyhound/Megabus for cheapness, or Amtrak for the adventure. If you're a good sleeper, do an overnight bus.
    Amtrak's very cheap, and has awesome deals, they also just added another round trip on the San Joaquin trains. If you want scenery though, the Coast Starlight or Pacific Surfliners are your best bet. Amtrak California connects to almost every area in CA, including here in Northwestern California, we have four Amtrak California buses (2 Northbound, 2 southbound) that serve us, and connect with the trains (San Joaquin's, Capitol's, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight) at Martinez, including a stop just a few miles south of me in Ukiah, and a few miles north in Willits, they go all the way north to McKinleyville.

http://www.amtrakcalifornia.com/index.php?nomobile=1

https://www.amtrak.com/deals

Other than a car or bus ride from Redwood Valley to Ukiah, we can get around CA, and the US without a car, and we've done it several times.
    Last edited by ilvla2; 07-21-2016 at 03:28 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You make it sound as if 99 is a 2-lane undivided road.
    It is in the Northern Sacramento Valley, 99 is 2-lane highway between Red Bluff and Yuba City, with a few passing areas. US 101 is also 2 Lane here in parts of Mendocino County, along with 4 lane, non freeway sections with dividers, and sections of freeway. Mendocino and Humboldt Counties are the last areas to still have 2 Lane sections on US 101, Mendocino County also has the two highest points on all of 101 (CA, OR, WA)

Edit - A word of advice for travelers, 2 lane highways in CA have a speed limit (when conditions permit) of 55, unless otherwise posted.
    Last edited by ilvla2; 07-21-2016 at 03:33 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast