Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Convert a 2g phone into 3g or 4g?

Device(s)
    Nokia N95
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

Question Convert a 2g phone into 3g or 4g?

That's a weird question that popped into my head when I read about 2g/gsm essentially having shut down in canada, with rogers the only carrier still using that network.

I'm a weirdo who loves old cellphones (I'm planning on getting a nokia 3330) and I've been wondering, would there be a way to mod those old phones into using 3g and/or 4g frequencies? I don't really care if it'd require soldering skills.

Device(s)
    Nokia N95
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Come on, someone HAS to know some of that stuff, no?

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    No. .........
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's not possible
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition - Huawei P20 Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by everett1911 View Post
    Come on, someone HAS to know some of that stuff, no?
    I used to know engineers that might be able to do this. I estimate the project would cost nearly a million dollars of time and materials, mostly time. It is a pointless exercise. You can buy a 3G phone for $10-$20.

If you want to home brew a cell phone for fun, buy a Raspberry Pi and the other needed modules. You can hack together a bad cell phone that is worth $0 plus bragging rights.

Device(s)
    Nokia N95
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Ok. now, WHY can't it be done?

Device(s)
    Nokia N95
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I used to know engineers that might be able to do this. I estimate the project would cost nearly a million dollars of time and materials, mostly time. It is a pointless exercise. You can buy a 3G phone for $10-$20.

If you want to home brew a cell phone for fun, buy a Raspberry Pi and the other needed modules. You can hack together a bad cell phone that is worth $0 plus bragging rights.
    You missed the point by a mile here. I know I can get a 3g phone. What I asked was if I could take a 2g phone (again, not 3g) and turn it into something that worked on modern networks.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by everett1911 View Post
    You missed the point by a mile here. I know I can get a 3g phone. What I asked was if I could take a 2g phone (again, not 3g) and turn it into something that worked on modern networks.
    And you missed the answer.

I estimate the project would cost nearly a million dollars of time and materials, mostly time. It is a pointless exercise.
    You obviously don't understand mobile technology/electronics if you are asking this question.

Feedback Score
    Whats this 2G to 3G converter app I've been hearing about elsewhere? Is it actually converting it to 3G or is it just altering the existing 2G connection?

see here: http://2g-to-3g-converter.android.informer.com/

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessecla View Post
    Whats this 2G to 3G converter app I've been hearing about elsewhere? Is it actually converting it to 3G or is it just altering the existing 2G connection?

see here: http://2g-to-3g-converter.android.informer.com/
    You are joking, right?

Feedback Score
    OP: a phone is primarily a piece of integrated circuitry; it's not a big pile of discrete components like old fashioned radios.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You'd literally have to reverse engineer the operating system to support the new technology, get an entire new board that can somehow fit inside of the phone with 3g or 4g, and somehow run nokia's operating system on the new board. You can't just put a 3G sticker on the phone and make it 3g.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fflip8 View Post
    You'd literally have to reverse engineer the operating system to support the new technology, get an entire new board that can somehow fit inside of the phone with 3g or 4g, and somehow run nokia's operating system on the new board. You can't just put a 3G sticker on the phone and make it 3g.

I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble. But I am an amateur Research and Development associate. We have been taking old tech and revamping it, mainly in the camera and lighting world. But this exact same topic came up recently, and we think their may be an answer.

It's a GSM converter box that you would have to take with you everywhere you go. The old 2g GSM frequencies are in a sense "Daisy-Chained" through the converter box. The modern (real) SIM card goes into the converter box and can also act as a wifi router from the SIM broadband signal. The Converter box can also accept calls and activate the then dummy GSM 2g signal from the outdated phone, relaying the information.

This device would also work for All old phones that didn't even originally have the correct frequency band to be used in the United States (1900 band for US, others for global usage, ect). So the possibilities are basically endless.

But It would require having this mobile device likely plugged in at home, with a range of possibly 500ft or something like that, and then bringing the device with you (charge-able), on the go.

We are still in development for this product, but if you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This stupid and pointless thread should have been locked long ago.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TadMorose View Post
    This stupid and pointless thread should have been locked long ago.
    Yes, if you consider it stupid to activate old rare/vintage phones (kind of the whole point of the Howard forums by the way), on modern 4g lte networks.

Honestly I can’t believe you just said that. If that’s true, why are you on this forum, so you can brag about old phones you bought that you will never actually use without a proposed device like this? Hmmmmmm......thought so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast