Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: What has your experience been like with Project Fi?

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Project Fi has major issues in rural areas because it's a pretty dumb network setup to be on T-Mobile by default and fall back only after a (long) period of outage and they won't let you override it.

For instance, west of Rt 3 in NH, USCC has VASTLY more reliable coverage than T-Mobile. Same in all of Vermont and North of Concord NH.

Project FI should use passive GPS to identify this and switch unless you're on a call and it should do it proactively and quickly, because T-Mobile is all but unusable in these areas. (even when T-Mobile does have coverage, it will drop to roaming on USCC's CDMA network which does a hard hand off and your call gets dropped and you only get Edge speeds when USCC has LTE)

And then when I cross into MA it should automatically switch back to T-Mobile in the same way. There's no reason not to do this because passive GPS is available and doesn't use the battery because it's already happening anyhow.

Further, if GPS is already in use then Project FI should be actively using an accurate map and your direction to prepare new connections and hand off between carriers. I.e. if you're in the car and charging it should use GPS to determine your direction and rate of travel and already have hand-offs prepared for quick switch as necessary. Better would be to hook into Google Maps and Waze and actually pull destinations and prepare connections as you go.

While this isn't necessary in most cities it makes Project Fi maddening in rural areas. And you can't even manually override it and force it to stay on USCC as an example where I live in Western NH because after about 6 hours it switches back to T-Mobile anyhow. If I forget and need to get on a conference call it drops about a mile from my house on T-Mobile and will drop 6 times in 15 miles in any direction on T-Mobile whereas on USCC it will be LTE with 100% stable calls for 40+ miles all about south into MA where I need to do a forced switch to T-Mobile.

Of course if USCC finally gets VoLTE working in Western NH, Vermont etc. and T-Mobile turns on roaming the point is moot. And similar of the Sprint deal goes through because ironically Sprint has vastly better native coverage on Fi in Western NH and some parts of Vermont than T-Mobile does.

Device(s)
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    Carrier(s)
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Using signal spy and the instructions above I was able to switch to us cellular and it has stayed there since I switched last night. I am in Columbia mo. At the moment which is a college town. Tmo and sprint get jammed esp during an event. But not as much us cellular. So far so good now that I am learning the tricks.
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyrn View Post
    Using signal spy and the instructions above I was able to switch to us cellular and it has stayed there since I switched last night. I am in Columbia mo. At the moment which is a college town. Tmo and sprint get jammed esp during an event. But not as much us cellular. So far so good now that I am learning the tricks.
    It won't stay there permanently unless there is no T-Mobile coverage where you are. It will drop back to T-Mobile whether you force it with signal spy or not.

Device(s)
    Samsung R455C, Alcatel A205G, BLU Advance 4.5,Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon & AT&T), Red Pocket (AT&T), Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by GeezLouise View Post
    Update, 8 months in.

PHONE, NEXUS 6P:

1st sent back because it didn't allow adding fingerprints after a while, and gradually stopped recognizing them.

2nd sent back because suddenly only 1/2 - 1/2 of the screen was visible, that half flickered periodically, and could not force the phone to shut down. Was able to wipe the phone via the Store before mailing. Post office probably would have concerns about a vibrating package when the alarms sounded.

3rd phone in hand for a few days, so far, so good. If this one breaks before the one year warranty expires, I'll get another replacement​. Just because 650$. Any breaks after warranty expires and I'll leave Project Fi. Maybe even go back to the old standby: a Samsung feature phone on TracFone's Verizon network for phone, and spouse's old Galaxy S3 for internet in locations that have WiFi.

I am a little irked that the policy is to replace with refurbished devices. They were refurbished for a reason and I am not confident the devices are reliable.
    Also irked that a 650$ device doesn't last at least 3 years. I saved to buy it. That seems like a crummy way to treat customers.

SERVICE:

If I don't leave home, the service will mostly stay on US Cellular, which is reliable there. Sometimes it picks up and grabs onto Sprint which is unreliable here. The Fi Switch app is my good friend.

Travelling from the foothills West of Yakima WA to Everett, the phone seems to get and stay on a T-Mobile signal. Some good, some not so good.

In the Mukilteo area, the phone repeatedly goes back to T-Mobile and Sprint; both have poor internet service in that region.

I do not know if I miss calls due to the phone's switching behaviors. I don't get many calls and usually notice poor internet only when I try to use it, Fi Switch back to (usually) US Cellular, then do my thing. It's inconvenient.

If I needed reliable phone and internet away from the house wifi, I would not use the Project Fi service. Would instead go with a Verizon or a Verizon like CDMA network or AT&T, which are reliable or mostly reliable (in that order) in the regions I need service.

I do mostly like the price of the plan, although I'd be better off with less talk and text in favor of more data. And the "cool" factor, although it is superceded by the cost of the unreliable device and service. My favorite part is a smartphone without bloatware, with timely OS upgrades, operating on US Cellular network.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Two year update: 3rd Nexus 6P still alive after 28 months. Paid UbreakIfix to replace the battery a few months ago. Cancelled Fi and put a TracFone SIM in, back to forwarding Google Voice to whatever phone I'm using. Unreliable switching is my main gripe and I just don't have a need for much talk, text or data on a phone. Backup plan on the road is McDonald's or Starbucks wifi.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I tried Fi for 6 weeks and was really hoping it would save me from the more expensive Verizon. The only "decent" signal I can get is Verizon when at home. Thinking the wifi calling would save me when home I signed up.
    Some observations:
    1. Signal Spy is a great little app for Fi users. Allows a switch to another network when it won't switch on it's own in a timely manner.
    2. I found I could not leave wifi scanning on and this is the heart of using Fi. When on it would tend to pick up weak open signals that were pretty much useless and dropped immediately. I only used my home wifi to remedy this as when out and about the T-mo signal was decent.
    3. Home wifi was problematical most of the time unless I sat next to the router. I even upgraded my wifi system for another reason and still got no love from fi wifi calling. Sometimes fine but frequently the callers would ask me to repeat as I was breaking up and even dropped calls at times.
    4. Love love love the pricing structure and my first bill was $22. The second was on track to be under $30 but at this point I had had enough.

In theory this is an awesome service. My reality was different. My daughter tried it to save money and loves it. Our chats are crystal clear and her wifi system works very well with it. I have gone back to Verizon which I was glad I kept just in case Fi was a dud. Verizon costs me about $30 more per month but a neccessary evil I think.

Anyone who is curious about Fi should give it a test drive. Signing up is painless and cheap One only needs the correct device to work, however, those are few. Leaving Fi was just as painless so don't let that stop you. I would suggest not transfering over a number till your sure and keep your old service just in case if possible. I think as Fi matures it may become a better option for me. I'll probably check it out again at a later time.

Device(s)
    Moto G7, Nexus 5X, Pixel 2, Pixel 3, Moto X4, Moto G6, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My experience has been fine. The algorithm for switching carriers has improved and WiFi calling is flawless. Changes have been made where you can have the phone prefer wireless whenever there is a good signal rather than latch onto a weak cellular signal. Many problems noted above have been addressed. Fi is not for everybody but I love bills under $30 a month. Some killer promos right now for several of their phones.
    Pixel 2, Moto X4 & Moto G6 on Google Fi
    iPhone 6S on Verizon Prepaid

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, Nexus 6P, Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Ever since I picked up the Pixel 2, my service with Project Fi had been excellent. No real complaints at all.

I tried Project Fi three times with my Nexus 6P and had nothing but issues with the Sprint network. Dozens of support cases, tons of diagnostic tests that recreated the problem many times, and the best answer I could get was that Project Fi was sending the call to Sprint but Sprint wasn't sending the call to the phone.

In-between I tried Cricket, GoPhone (now AT&T Prepaid), and Verizon. All worked fine but they were either more expensive or didn't have the coverage or features I wanted or needed.

When Project Fi works it works well. Add the ability to tether, call or text from just about any device, and international travel, and there are many reasons to stick with the service.

But when it fails, more than what their first tier customer service can do, then it's not fun at all.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Have any of you played with/used the app FiSwitch?

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, Nexus 6P, Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
    Have any of you played with/used the app FiSwitch?
    Sure. FiSwitch is a great app.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Pixel3XL, Pixel3, Pixel2XL, s9+, s8+, Atom, Axon 7, MoFi, etc
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, Google Fi, Xfinity Mobile, TMO, RP/vzw/att/tmo, Tello, Tru, eKit
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I sue FiSwitch, one of my fav apps. Great widget, one touch network switch, even with non-rooted devices.
    --
    CellGuru

Device(s)
    Moto G7, Nexus 5X, Pixel 2, Pixel 3, Moto X4, Moto G6, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The automatic switching is working far better than it used to. I used to have to force it off T-Mobile every couple of hours but now I rarely have to override the phone’s switching. Mine stays on US Cellular all the time if that’s the best signal,where I am.

Device(s)
    pixel xl
    Carrier(s)
    google fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by morgothaod View Post
    Would you recommend Project Fi?
    I wouldn't recommend Fi to a mentally lazy person, because to get the most efficiency from the Fi experience, one would have to be very mindful of their usage, being aware of wifi hotspots around them to shunt internet usage from the mobile connections, also I wouldn't recommend Fi to someone w/o wifi fallbacks to use as a primary service, it would be too costly.

What has your experience been like?
    Mine's has been awesome, I love how my mentality has been flipped from using over 100gb of mobile connection per month, to barely using 1gb, this is shocking... Mine you, my pxel isn't by far under-utilized, it's just a lot of my usage has been via wifi, I average about 18-20 gb of wifi usage, compared to, at the most, a little over 300mb of mobile data.. the only time i've had to use mobile data is on long away from home excursions, when planted at some place for a period of time where there's no wifi, & I'd need a quick look up for some whatever, I'm turning mobile data back off. I've yet to pay a bill costing $30 or over that yet..

Should I have to go international I'd have no issue chalking up as high as an $80 cost damage that month, compared to averaging less than $30 domestically, to me, 1 cent per mb is fair enough, & straight to the point.. Fi seems to me, to be the 1st world phone service, that could serve me *ALMOST* everywhere on the planet, that's enough for me compared to the plan cost

What are the good and bad things?

the good - getting use to this service & integrating in into your life flow.

the bad - the uncertainty that the service could get snatched from underneath at anytime, reminding me that many good things come to an end..
    >:-,

“There's no benchmark for how life's "supposed" to happen. There is no ideal world for you to wait around for. The world is always just what it is now, it's up to you how you respond to it.”
    ― Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Very good

Sent from my Nexus 5X using HoFo mobile app

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10