Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: What has your experience been like with Project Fi?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon (prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
    Trialing Fi and so far it is acceptable. Coverage is the only issue cropping up occasionally. I'm retired so make most calls from WiFi at home.
    My daughter needed a good phone since her dumb phone was acting up and getting discontinued on Verizon soon anyway. Fi is perfect for her as she uses no data and just needs calls and texts. Verizon would insist on a smartphone data plan but with Fi she can turn off cellular data, pay only $22.29 per month. In an emergency data is available. Much less than her old dumb phone on Verizon. I use less than 1 gig in a month so while my old Verizon bill was $60 the new Fi bill is only around d $25. I like that and will deal with other shortcomings of Fi like coverage while on the back roads.
    If you are paying for your daughter's account you can save $5/month by adding to her to your account.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Good all-around service.

Trialing Fi and so far it is acceptable. Coverage is the only issue cropping up occasionally. I'm retired so make most calls from WiFi at home.
    My daughter needed a good phone since her dumb phone was acting up and getting discontinued on Verizon soon anyway. Fi is perfect for her as she uses no data and just needs calls and texts. Verizon would insist on a smartphone data plan but with Fi she can turn off cellular data, pay only $22.29 per month. In an emergency data is available. Much less than her old dumb phone on Verizon. I use less than 1 gig in a month so while my old Verizon bill was $60 the new Fi bill is only around d $25. I like that and will deal with other shortcomings of Fi like coverage while on the back roads.
    Thank you cbreze. It's nice to see some praise for Fi from a person who does not mention international travel. I am also retired and a Fi user. While I'd like to do some international travel, it's not in my immediate future. But my Fi phone will be ready, won't it? Fi is handy for international calling from the US as that arises. I do a couple international calls each year and could picture doing more. If international calls were my biggest concern, I could use Ultra or another MVNO, I know, but Fi is convenient. Although the calls apparently go over hangouts, they show up on the receiving end with the caller ID of the Fi line. I can even originate a hangouts call on another device and the caller ID is the Fi number. (The Google account has to be the same.) International texts are free.

One result of the connections with hangouts is that a caller's picture (from my contacts file) may show up on a computer screen as soon as the phone starts to ring. Voicemail may seem old-fashioned, but Fi's visual voicemail feature makes it more useful.

The data charge of one penny per megabyte works for me. I often have wi-fi available, but the big exception is being at the neighborhood pool during stormy weather. Then the cell data are urgently needed for weather checks. Also needed for mapping and directions.

Even the protection plan became a real feature when my previous Fi phone went into boot loop and they replaced it with a new phone. In short, project Fi is a good all-around service with many features. When you have it, then you may discover which features you like. Or not. Even if you don't like Fi, one benefit is that the phones are all unlocked and ready for you to try another service.

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, agreed. No contracts and can always go elsewhere. It's been working good tho for me. Two months of bills with Fi and I've already saved $70 over Verizon's bill. That puts me on track for annual savings of over $400. Liking that.
    I used it in Canada and had no issues. Others I've talked to have used it in various places around the world with great success and low prices for calls as well as no extra charge for data. I really disliked paying Verizon for data I wasn't using. A pay as you go plan is awesome. First bill $22.29 second bill $28.65 which included some quick calls to the U.S. from Canada. Loving this service so far. Being on a fixed Income the low bills really help. I would be confident taking it anywhere in the world with no surprises. So nice to give Verizon the boot. :-)

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    are the calls going threw VoLTE???

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, Nexus 6P, Moto G5 Plus, Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    are the calls going threw VoLTE???
    On T-Mobile they will, but Sprint and US Cellular are not supported yet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb7qdi View Post
    On T-Mobile they will, but Sprint and US Cellular are not supported yet.

awesome!!! Fi uses t-mobile as their main network then the fall back is sprint and US, am i right?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    awesome!!! Fi uses t-mobile as their main network then the fall back is sprint and US, am i right?
    Depends on your location, and it's more like Project Fi picks the best carrier but you can manually change it temporarily when needed.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Depends on your location, and it's more like Project Fi picks the best carrier but you can manually change it temporarily when needed.

im in a very good t-mobile area, using metro pcs right now...sprints LTE is meh, it likes to bounce from band to band..on t-mobile im on band 4 all the time around my home area

am i able to set it to t-mobile and just leave it as my main network or is it set on some kind of timer ?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    No. You're can manually set it but it'll go back to automatic mode after about two hours.

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    im in a very good t-mobile area, using metro pcs right now...sprints LTE is meh, it likes to bounce from band to band..on t-mobile im on band 4 all the time around my home area

am i able to set it to t-mobile and just leave it as my main network or is it set on some kind of timer ?
    I use an app called signal spy that lets me pick which carrier but as has been said it will revert back to the strongest carrier where ever your at. If you have strong T-mobile then it will just stick to that carrier. My problem sometimes is at home maybe not quite close enough to the wifi my calls will sound broken and choppy at times. The closer to the wifi router the better it sounds. This is becoming disappointing as I can be outside and get a call and I'm close enough to stay on wifi and not switch but not close enough for a strong problem free call. This could be the deal breaker for me and Fi. But you should be fine with a good T-mo signal.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No. You're can manually set it but it'll go back to automatic mode after about two hours.

ah ok... 2 hour timer isnt bad...wish they more phones to pick from

I use an app called signal spy that lets me pick which carrier but as has been said it will revert back to the strongest carrier where ever your at. If you have strong T-mobile then it will just stick to that carrier. My problem sometimes is at home maybe not quite close enough to the wifi my calls will sound broken and choppy at times. The closer to the wifi router the better it sounds. This is becoming disappointing as I can be outside and get a call and I'm close enough to stay on wifi and not switch but not close enough for a strong problem free call. This could be the deal breaker for me and Fi. But you should be fine with a good T-mo signal.
    i wont be using wifi calling at home...i have a ATT unlimited data hotspot that i use for wifi calling when i dont have t-mobile when driving..nice back up...so yea thats the only time ill be using wifi calling

Device(s)
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    Carrier(s)
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, agreed. No contracts and can always go elsewhere. It's been working good tho for me. Two months of bills with Fi and I've already saved $70 over Verizon's bill. That puts me on track for annual savings of over $400. Liking that.
    I used it in Canada and had no issues. Others I've talked to have used it in various places around the world with great success and low prices for calls as well as no extra charge for data. I really disliked paying Verizon for data I wasn't using. A pay as you go plan is awesome. First bill $22.29 second bill $28.65 which included some quick calls to the U.S. from Canada. Loving this service so far. Being on a fixed Income the low bills really help. I would be confident taking it anywhere in the world with no surprises. So nice to give Verizon the boot. :-)
    You say you are able to pick your carrier with the signal spy app. How are you able to do this. Please dumb it down. When home in Florida it goes to sprint and works great. In urban areas of Missouri it goes to t mobile. The other day I found myself in a known rural US cellular area and it would have no service at the bottom of a hill and a billionth of a bar of tmo at the top of the hill. Totally unusable. How could I force it to go to us cellular? I am sure us cellular costs fi more than tmo. My us cellular friends had 5 bars of us cellular native coverage. I have the moto x4 Android one 64/4. Thanks.
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, Moto X4, Moto G6, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    The app runs in the background. You swipe down on your phone screen and you’ll see the names of the three providers. Click on USCellular and it will bring you to the phone dialer screen. Long press where you would enter a number and then click on “paste” and your phone will switch providers. You can also do this without the app at all by typing the actual switching code using your phone dialer screen. You can easily find those codes online.
    Pixel 2, Moto X4 & Moto G6 on Google Fi
    iPhone 6S on Verizon Prepaid

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyrn View Post
    You say you are able to pick your carrier with the signal spy app. How are you able to do this. Please dumb it down. When home in Florida it goes to sprint and works great. In urban areas of Missouri it goes to t mobile. The other day I found myself in a known rural US cellular area and it would have no service at the bottom of a hill and a billionth of a bar of tmo at the top of the hill. Totally unusable. How could I force it to go to us cellular? I am sure us cellular costs fi more than tmo. My us cellular friends had 5 bars of us cellular native coverage. I have the moto x4 Android one 64/4. Thanks.
    I paid for the pro sig spy version which makes switching even easier. Open the app and press "Launch dialer codes". There is the list of the three. Touch any one and it takes a few seconds then confirms the switch. I found T-mo the strongest so usually just stayed there, but once out in the boonies I wanted to use google maps and T-mo had "0" signal. So I tried each of the others by using the dialer codes and found a very weal Sprint signal but enough to do what I needed. Biggest drawback of this service is coverage but YMMV depending. In my experience with the sig spy app it did not switch back to the stronger signal. As I said T-Mo is best at home but if I switch to one of the other weaker ones it sticks to it and I manually switch back. If I waited longer perhaps it would auto switch but after 30 min or so I'd just switch it myself. It is an awesome service IMO but only if coverage is good where you need it.

Device(s)
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    Carrier(s)
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Thanks everybody. You all were a big help.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast