Thread: Suggestion: carrier info in US Prepaid/MVNO Discussion section

Feedback Score

Suggestion: carrier info in US Prepaid/MVNO Discussion section

I notice in the Canadian Prepaid/MVNO Discussion under each forum section, there is a bit of information about each area. For example, under "Solo Mobile" and "Virgin Mobile" it says "A Division of Bell Mobility".

Can you do something similar for the US Prepaid/MVNO Discussion section? Only MetroPCS says "US CDMA/GSM provider". It would be helpful to know:
    1. CDMA, GSM or both
    2. Parent company (ie. A Division of TracFone)

For those of us who don't keep up on all the phone stuff but find HoFo supremely useful, it would be extremely helpful.

Thank you.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Suggestion: carrier info in US Prepaid/MVNO Discussion section

The straight prepaid carriers' parent networks are usually self-evident. More information about carriers used by MVNOs would be helpful. It could help guide decisions about whether ones current telephone could be used with other MVNOs. A message in the General Prepaid Discussion Forum would avoid have to enter information in each forum and could include those MVNOs without dedicated forums.
    Last edited by efparri; 07-01-2016 at 01:45 PM.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    This would be a nice addition to HoFo. Until then, www.prepaidphonenews.com has all that info in an easy to use format. There is another site that covers it too. I don't remember the name.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've added some basic descriptions to each one but if you want more detail than that, someone will need to write-up an FAQ and ask the forum moderator to sticky it.

Feedback Score
    @bobdevnul:
    Thanks for the link. I would have to be horribly desperate to use it since it'd be wading through a mess, but the effort is very much appreciated.

@frail:
    Thank you, definitely a start. A FAQ kind of defeats the purpose somewhat. Like I said, the Canadian MVNO group does it just below the US group. It'd just be useful to know at a glance without having to dig through pages or looking up on other websites what is a division of Sprint, TracFone, AT&T, etc. Honestly, I'm not even sure I'm labeling them right. If the areas are too crowded and need more space, you can always remove the "US" part at the beginning, since they are all under the "US Prepaid/MVNO Discussion" heading.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy gus View Post
    @bobdevnul:
    Thanks for the link. I would have to be horribly desperate to use it since it'd be wading through a mess, but the effort is very much appreciated.
    Are you looking at the "desktop version" of the prepaidphonenews site? Look at the "News by Carrier" list on the right sidebar. It lists all the major (and most of the minor) MVNOs in alphabetical order. After each MVNO name, it lists which MNO(s) that MVNO is associated with: v = Verizon, a = AT&T, etc.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I'm looking at the desktop version. Thank you for explaining it. As a useful website for that information, it scores a definite "F" (websites should be clear, which this most definitely isn't if you look at it with fresh eyes), but at least now I can know what I'm looking at. I never would have looked under "News by Carrier" to find the information of "which MVNO is on which carrier's lines, much less just assume what each letter means. With your explanation, it's obvious, but not for folks who don't go there. It looks like a good site with lots of good info, but the layout is like the early days of newspaper websites when they just tried to cram everything on the front page.

Thanks frail, much better now. More user-friendly.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy gus View Post
    Yes, I'm looking at the desktop version. Thank you for explaining it. As a useful website for that information, it scores a definite "F" (websites should be clear, which this most definitely isn't if you look at it with fresh eyes), but at least now I can know what I'm looking at. I never would have looked under "News by Carrier" to find the information of "which MVNO is on which carrier's lines, much less just assume what each letter means. With your explanation, it's obvious, but not for folks who don't go there. It looks like a good site with lots of good info, but the layout is like the early days of newspaper websites when they just tried to cram everything on the front page.

Thanks frail, much better now. More user-friendly.
    Glad I could be helpful. I asked about the desktop version because the mobile version of the website doesn't even contain this information.

Good luck!