Thread: Another one week in Canada, Google Voice, Verizon, Trac

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Another one week in Canada, Google Voice, Verizon, Trac

So I've read a variety of threads on the subject, the most recent of which here got deleted and continued in the Roger's forum (for reasons I don't understand). The others are a year old or more.

I'll be spending six days in Toronto. The hotel has wifi, but I don't know how good it is.

I use Google Voice as my main number. I've never used Google Hangouts, but I've just installed it and I'm willing.

My phone is an unlocked iPhone 5 with a TracFone sim. I figure one theoretical option is to get a throwaway sim for it (Koodo?), but I've seen inconsistent stories on whether Google Voice will forward to it.

My other device is an iPad mini with cellular and a Verizon sim. I'd prefer not to use this for phone calls because it's clumsy and I won't have it on my all the time, but if there's an easy way (such as just handing Verizon an extra $30US), I'll consider it.

(I'm ignoring my backup Trac flip phone, because I figure that's a lost cause in Canada.)

Convenience (as in easy to get from a hotel in downtown Toronto) and moderate price (as in under $50US) are my criteria.

Many thanks.

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I realize this is an old thread but wanted to answer for others. Google Voice cannot forward to a Canadian phone number. I found this out when I was trying to do similar to what the OP here wants. But, I found that with a strong LTE signal or WiFi, I had no problems making calls with Hangouts. I never received any So I cant speak to how reliable that would be. I think at worst, it would just go to GV voicemail. So, he could have used Koodo for the data connection.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Thought I'd share my experience.

I have a Google Voice account (and US Google Voice phone number), but I got it, not by verifying with a Canadian phone number, but with a US phone number. When people call my Google Voice number, I can receive calls if I have the Hangouts app on on my device, or if I have the associated Gmail account open on my web browser on my desktop/laptop computer. This will work anywhere in the world.

While in the USA and Canada, I can place free calls to USA or Canada using the Phone tab in Gmail.com (in web browser on laptop/desktop) or using Hangouts Dialer in Android (and maybe on iOS too?).

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryBy View Post
    I'll be spending six days in Toronto. The hotel has wifi, but I don't know how good it is.
    What did you end up doing? One option was to get a Cricket SIM at the $45 (after auto-pay) tier, as that includes voice/text/data roaming in Canada. You could then forward your Google Voice number to that, and cancel after the first month.
    Lumia 950 XL dual-SIM -- SIM slot 1: Rogers (small business flex data) -- SIM slot 2: Public Mobile ($120/12GB/90 day plan)