Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SERO Up For Renewal 6/30. What to do?

Feedback Score
    I'm also testing out Google FI as a possible SERO replacement, but you have to keep your data usage under 3G to keep the costs the same and use a Nexus phone. It has some interesting features however, like switching between spring and t-mobile towers for service and coverage in 150 countries without additional cost.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, and a Google Pixel 2 on the way
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coorsleftfield View Post
    One more data point for staying on SERO. You can still get subsidized upgrades. Using the iPhone 6S plus as an example, I can currently buy the 128GB version for $500, and it's a $950 phone. So Sprint is picking up $450 over 2 years, which comes out to about $18 /mo in savings.

So looking at it that way, my SERO 500 account is not costing me $50/mo, it's about $32 a month after phone purchase. That is pretty hard to beat with unlimited data. Yes their network leaves a lot to be desired, but I'm really tempted to get a new phone and stick with them another 2 years. I'll probably wait on the iPhone 7 to come out before pulling the trigger.
    Man you're the first person I've noticed in these forums that truly looks at your plan on the grand scale. People in these forums think older plans were more expensive and inferior when in fact it was just the opposite. You received more for the same or even a lesser price and everyone in these forums points to T-Mobile like they revolutionized the industry by going prepaid and taking your subsidy away. They've been doing this in every other part of the world since the beginning. In my case and anyone else with grandfathered plans they have cost me a great deal of money. For example my current plan at att with unlimited data minutes and texts used to cost me $64.xx after takes each month and included a $450 iPhone subsidy every two years. Now because of the so called T-Mobile revolution I've lost my subsidy and they've raised my price $5 a month so effectively I'm paying $23 extra now a month when you account for the subsidy. Hell even at T-Mobile before legere came along I paid $64 a month over there for 1500 minutes and unlimited data and texts plus I had a subsidy every two years. That plan absolutely destroys anything the great and fantastic T-Mobile offers now. It's all hocus pocus garbage and unfortunately people cant do all the math like you or I so we're all paying for it.

Feedback Score

Lightbulb for new, yes; for used, no

Quote Originally Posted by Royemunson View Post
    Man you're the first person I've noticed in these forums that truly looks at your plan on the grand scale. People in these forums think older plans were more expensive and inferior when in fact it was just the opposite. You received more for the same or even a lesser price and everyone in these forums points to T-Mobile like they revolutionized the industry by going prepaid and taking your subsidy away. They've been doing this in every other part of the world since the beginning. In my case and anyone else with grandfathered plans they have cost me a great deal of money. For example my current plan at att with unlimited data minutes and texts used to cost me $64.xx after takes each month and included a $450 iPhone subsidy every two years. Now because of the so called T-Mobile revolution I've lost my subsidy and they've raised my price $5 a month so effectively I'm paying $23 extra now a month when you account for the subsidy. Hell even at T-Mobile before legere came along I paid $64 a month over there for 1500 minutes and unlimited data and texts plus I had a subsidy every two years. That plan absolutely destroys anything the great and fantastic T-Mobile offers now. It's all hocus pocus garbage and unfortunately people cant do all the math like you or I so we're all paying for it.
    That's very true, but some of us just buy a used smartphone for $100 every couple years, which only equals out to a little more than $4 per month if you think about it in those terms. But as far as buying brand new, contract is definitely the way to go. This "monthly rental" crap is total garbage.

Feedback Score
    A few thoughts on subsidized plans. Not too long ago it was important to keep getting a new phone as we were switching from 3G to LTE and new LTE bands and features were being added.

These days the phones are really good and as long as you have a newer one thst covers the LTE bands of your carrier there is no reason to chase the upgrade cycle.

Finally I don't understand why people don't just do more prepaid plans. I was in the Verizon store last night. You can get 3G on Verizon prepaid for $45 with autopay. Their postpaid plan is $60 for 2G. Why would anyone do this ?

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, and a Google Pixel 2 on the way
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coorsleftfield View Post
    A few thoughts on subsidized plans. Not too long ago it was important to keep getting a new phone as we were switching from 3G to LTE and new LTE bands and features were being added.

These days the phones are really good and as long as you have a newer one thst covers the LTE bands of your carrier there is no reason to chase the upgrade cycle.

Finally I don't understand why people don't just do more prepaid plans. I was in the Verizon store last night. You can get 3G on Verizon prepaid for $45 with autopay. Their postpaid plan is $60 for 2G. Why would anyone do this ?
    I would agree with you there but even if you don't want a new phone every two years it was beneficial to still use your upgrade and then sell the phone. I'm in my 30s in a management level position and most everyone that works for me is in there 20s and upgrades their phones anywhere from 6-24 months. Most of them seem to be on Tmobile now and tell me how great it is to not be in a contract without even thinking about the lease agreement or two year financing agreement they signed to get that nice new phone (in effect you are still in a contract but now you don't get that nice $450 subsidy). Again it's all hocus pocus by Legere...that dude is the ultimate car salesman. All of their uncarrier moves sound great on the surface but are hocus pocus in my opinion especially the binge on feature. He's the finance guy at the dealership where they sell you a new car that comes with a 10 year corrosion warranty and he tells you need to buy the dealerships $500 corrosion coverage or $500 windshield chip repair coverage or the over priced extended warranty that most people never use because they sell the car by then.

Feedback Score
    I agree it was a pretty excellent snow job. If they are going to stay with T-Mobile because they love it so much, they might as well be under contract and save $500 on the phone. It's kinda like Sprint's iPhone for life plan, which is just a lease by any other name yet people think they are getting a deal.

I used to do the exact same thing as you did, get a brand new phone under contract and sell it to effectively lower my wireless bill. I may wait until the new iPhone 7 comes out, get it brand new and sell it sealed box.

Someone on this thread talked about buying Simple Mobile Sim kits off ebay for $15-20 and using that for their phone plan. It comes with a month of service and 4G of data. They just forward their google voice # to whatever new number is assigned monthly. Now that is frugal , I'm tempted to do the same if I drop SERO. It's cheaper than going Google FI and having to watch your data usage, and it's also cheaper than the T-Mobile $30 5G plan that everyone loves.

Device(s)
    Touch pro
    Carrier(s)
    sprint
    Feedback Score
    My Sero Math. bill after tax 60.25
    Phone Sub 450
    sell old phone 300 iphone 6 plus

60.25-(450/24)=41.50
    41.50*24=996.00

Proceed from selling of phone to purchase new phone w/subs.

so for 41.50 I get a new phone every two years. So So service and unlimited data.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2