Thread: LG MMS not working because APN Type grayed out. Fix WITHOUT ROOT.

Feedback Score

LG MMS not working because APN Type grayed out. Fix WITHOUT ROOT.

FIRST this is not my work. Props to brodood

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7&postcount=13
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2761126

I tweaked it for Airvoice. Original is for Tracphone.
    On certain LG phones APN Type is grayed out so MMS is impossible through ordinary ways.

AGAIN the following is NOT my work. Neither is the origin story I just switched out the specific TF settings for the AV settings & order.

Airvoice LG MMS apn Type grayed out. Fix WITHOUT ROOT.

It is possible to change the APN type without SQLite or root. The guys at my work figured this out. It is kind of a tricky workaround, but this is tested and working on LG Optimus G Pro, G Flex, and G2 with the MMS issues.

1. Go to the APN Settings and reset them to default. After that you should only see the AT&T APN
    2. With the SIM card in the phone open Mobile Networks (get to the screen where you can click on Access Point names.)
    3. DO NOT POWER OFF THE PHONE FOR THIS PART! On that screen and with the phone still on, slide the SIM out. You should get a prompt asking to reset the phone. DO NOT RESET THE PHONE.
    4. After the prompt click on Access Point Names. There should be no APNs here. If the AT&T APN is still here go back to step 1.
    5. Now you need to create a new APN with the SIM is removed. The APN should be as follows:

Name: Mobile MMS
    APN: att.mvno
    Proxy: Not set
    Port: Not set
    Username: Not set
    Password: Not set
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS proxy: 66.209.11.33
    MMS port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    If available, for the Authentication Type: PAP
    APN Type: mms
    authtype: none

THE APN TYPE SHOULD ONLY BE FOR MMS. DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ELSE IN THE "TYPE" FIELD
    6. Now with everything typed in DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING. If it is correct you can save this APN. Once it is saved there will still be no APNs on the APN page.
    7. Pull the battery and put the SIM back in the phone.
    8. Go back to the APN settings and DO NOT open the APN you just created or it will reset the entire process!!!!! If you did everything right the Airvoice MMS APN you just made should not have the selection bubble. If you have a selection bubble on the Airvoice MMS, go back to
    Step 1.

9. Make another new APN as Follows:

Name: Mobile Web
    APN: att.mvno
    Proxy: 66.209.11.33
    Port: 80
    Username: Not set
    Password: Not set
    MMSC: Not set
    MMS proxy: Not set
    MMS port: Not set
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    If available, for the Authentication Type: PAP
    APN Type: default (or select INTERNET if available
    authtype: none

10. Save this APN and select it. You should get Data & MMS now.

Me again. The above worked for Tracphone & I got it to work on Airvoice. So other AT&T MVNO's should or might work. I suggest using your specific MVNO's APN settings. Let me know if this works on T-Mobile & their MVNO's. Oh if you're thankful & appreciative go to the XDA link & give thanks, I did.

I'm cross posting this in the AV & LG forums. Mods please do as you please.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    I have an Ultra Mobile (Sprint MVNO) LG X Charge SP320 that came with a Sprint sim card. Activation went smoothly but I was interested in the phone's GSM capability since Sprint coverage is iffy around me so I inserted an active Red Pocket GSMA (ATT flavor) and now the calls and texts work but unable to get APN to set/save. There are no APNs listed when the RP sim card is inserted. With the Sprint sim card inserted, there are 4 greyed out APN options but I can add the new one to get Tello (Sprint MVNO) to work fine. With the RP sim, there are no preset options and I am unable to set/save APN using RP's recommended settings.
    Can a phone be unlocked for calls and texts but not for data??

Feedback Score
    Idk. Did you try the above?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your response.
    The two links you posted are no longer active.
    I assume that when you ask if I followed your post, I followed the sequence where possible but used the names and values listed by Red Pocket.
    There is no removable battery so I just powered off the unit for this related step.
    Unlike your situation, when I first insert the RP sim, there are NO APNs listed (not even ATT APN).
    I have tried your suggestions multiple times but I fear that I may be falling for the old "I cut that board three times and it is still too short" unknowingly repeating an error or missing something obvious.
    RedPocket suggests returning the phone to place of purchase but I doubt it is an issue with the phone since it works with a Sprint sim card and their MVNO as well.
    Something is missing...
    Could you run this issue past your workmates who you credit for your workaround?

Feedback Score
    Red Pocket rep surmises that the phone isn't "fully unlocked"??

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the tips.
    I fiddled around following your basic instructions and got it to work!
    I entered a few parameters at a time until it caused the apn to lose the bubble to select then went back and added another and saved at each try.
    The final solution was to save everything up to the apn type and then use it without those setting filled in and then go back and enter those settings.
    NOW (and this predates any issue with getting the apn settings to work) I am unable to receive text sms messages. I can send sms, make and receive calls and browse the internet but cannot receive text messages.
    This phone was unlocked by software by ebay seller and I don't know if some rom that he installed is the cause of the problem with my phone. This LG 320 is a GSM as well as CDMA phone. Same issue exists with CDMA as well as GSM sim card installed.
    Any idea where I should post this issue?

Feedback Score
    Again this is NOT my work. Props to brodood at XDA.

I'd go to XDA & post in the specific sub-forum. If you're not sure where to post check with a Mod first.

Good luck.