Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 28 of 28

Thread: Enabling hotspot on Grandfathered unlimited plan?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,331
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jtludwig View Post
    Then why did you say "I know that Verizon recently stopped prorating when you call to cancel a line"?
    Because people on another forum were reporting this and according to them it was new and not what they had experienced in the past. And I knew it had changed when you ported out from what I had experienced and what others are reporting.

    I went back and checked and it looks like the reps used to be able to process the termination for that day vs. suspending the line and making someone pay for the full billing cycle. So that has in fact changed - in the past the reps could terminate the line and billing if they wanted to. Now apparently they can't.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    704
    Device(s)
    2 iPhones are better than one. Twice the fun. Ask anyone.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    Who are you Weed Trimmer ?
    Lol James I could not simply like it so I had to post.

    Weed Trimmer has no need to tether a phone, he will just use someone else's until they run out of data then blame them for taking his.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    170
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by nostaldia View Post
    This will likely be the way things are in the future as these mobile OS's get harder and harder to root. Even the Samsungs with locked bootloaders like the Verizon Note 5 can't be rooted. The days of easy root are over

    I use a Moto X Pure because it has an unlockable bootloader or my Note 5 since PDANet/FoxFi work on the Samsung devices still.

    If you don't use the MHS feature too often, it may not be such a big deal to you since you can just turn it on and off when you use it for not a whole lot of money. But if you use the MHS feature often like I do, you may want to consider switching to an Android with an unlockable bootloader.
    You don't need an unlocked bootloader to get hotspot. Just root access is enough.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,331
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Cares View Post
    You don't need an unlocked bootloader to get hotspot. Just root access is enough.
    Yes I get that. But my point was that YOU AREN'T GOING TO BE ABLE TO GET ROOT IN THE FUTURE WITHOUT AN UNLOCKABLE BOOTLOADER.

    These phones are just way too secure now a days and finding root exploits is tougher and tougher. Add to that the fact that the devs can sell the exploits for beaucoup bucks and I think you aren't going to get root without an unlockable bootloader in the future.

    With the Verizon Samsung phones it is even worse - KNOX will literally brick a Verizon Note 5 if it detects root. So even if a dev could find an exploit, they would also need to be able to hide root from KNOX otherwise your phone would brick.

    So hopefully my point is clear now. While root may be enough, getting root is the issue - without an unlockable bootloader people haven't been able to do it on the newer phones and Marshmallow is even worse. Then even if they can get it on the Samsung phones, KNOX will brick the phone if it detects root.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    487
    Device(s)
    LG G6 (Carrier Unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    This is exactly why non-carrier branded phones are the way to go. That would be Nexus and Motorola (Lenovo).
    Also HTC phones are an option because HTC sells S-Off cards to repair people and they can turn security off on the phone so that the bootloader can be unlocked. That usually costs $25 or so.

    I have a Nexus 6P because I have an UDP and occasionally I need to tether.
    Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. -- Daniel Webster

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,331
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_head View Post
    This is exactly why non-carrier branded phones are the way to go. That would be Nexus and Motorola (Lenovo).
    FoxFi/PDANet continues to be updated to work on the Samsung phones. I don't know about Marshmallow though


    Quote Originally Posted by tech_head View Post
    Also HTC phones are an option because HTC sells S-Off cards to repair people and they can turn security off on the phone so that the bootloader can be unlocked. That usually costs $25 or so..
    You also can pay for Sunshine for about $25 but I don't know if it works yet for the Verizon HTC 10.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by nostaldia View Post
    Yes, just add it through MyVerizon on your phone or log online and do it. You are just adding a feature, not changing your plan so it doesn't affect UDP.

    You can turn the MHS feature on and off as many times in a month as you want and you will only be charged for the time it is on. If it is on for even 1 second of a day, you will be charged for the entire day. It is $30/mo so the charge for 1 day is about $1. Verizon's system updates at 3am eastern and 12am pacific time - so the MHS has to be shut off by that time or you get charged for the next day.


    Yes it does.
    Understand this post is from 3 years ago, but I have the very same question now (2019). Looking at my add on features for my Verizon numbers on my account, I can add the Hotspot feature for $30 ($24 discounted). I am a little hesitant as I don't want to do anything to affect the 2 GUDP lines on the account, but simply want to enable the hotspot on one of those GUDP numbers for a month. Is this a risk or no?

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    17
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You can activate and deactivate the hotspot feature with no adverse effect to your GUDP lines.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Southeastern U.S.
    Posts
    3
    Device(s)
    Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Grandfathered UDP from 2010ish
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by chakalakasp View Post
    I have an iPhone 6 and a grandfathered unlimited plan. When jailbreaks are available, I use a third party program to turn my phone into a wifi hotspot -- however, a jailbreak for the current version of iOS has not been available for a while now. I was wondering if it's possible to pay for the officially sanctioned hotspot feature on the phone without losing the unlimited data and, if so, whether the unlimited data applies to the hotspot as well. I've jumped through so many hoops over the years to keep the unlimited data that I want to be 100% sure nothing I do makes it go away, so if there is even a remote chance that enabling the hotspot on the account will change the plan, I'd rather skip it.
    You can add hotspot without messing with UDP, but then they might still cap you at 15gb or whatever the threshold is this week.

    I use a rooted android phone from google, edited the build.prop file to turn provisioning off, and I can use hotspot completely unlimited on my GFUDP.

    I use a tmo one UDP phone at home thats permanently tethered via USB to my PC using pdanet+ and have unlimited highspeed internet in the middle of nowhere.

    Pdanet may be available for iOS, if so i would definitely check it out for tether bypass features.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,523
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by CunningStunt View Post
    You can add hotspot without messing with UDP, but then they might still cap you at 15gb or whatever the threshold is this week.

    I use a rooted android phone from google, edited the build.prop file to turn provisioning off, and I can use hotspot completely unlimited on my GFUDP.

    I use a tmo one UDP phone at home thats permanently tethered via USB to my PC using pdanet+ and have unlimited highspeed internet in the middle of nowhere.

    Pdanet may be available for iOS, if so i would definitely check it out for tether bypass features.
    There's never been any cap on the $30 Hotspot Add-on with GUDP.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using HoFo mobile app

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Southeastern U.S.
    Posts
    3
    Device(s)
    Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Grandfathered UDP from 2010ish
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    [QUOTE=baaadandy;17087080]There's never been any cap on the $30 Hotspot Add-on with GUDP.


    Interesting, I guess I am just bypassing the 30 dollar fee then...i just know before editing the build.prop it wanted me to go to verizon to add that feature. Thanks for the info. Learning every day

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    94
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You can also use a cellular iPad. Just put the sim in the iPad and use it as a hotspot when needed.
    Thank You.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    17
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Or just put it in a hotspot like I do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Is hotspot included on the unlimited plan or not?
    By dagger007 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-15-2013, 05:17 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-11-2013, 11:35 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-10-2012, 03:59 PM
  4. iPhone on Sidekick Unlimited Plan ??
    By YunGsWaGG in forum iOS Jailbreaking and Unlocking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-06-2007, 01:16 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-08-2005, 10:30 AM

Bookmarks