Thread: AT&T Locked iPhone 5S on Straight Talk Question

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Unlimited $45
    Feedback Score

AT&T Locked iPhone 5S on Straight Talk Question

Hello!,

I am looking to purchase a used locked AT&T iPhone 5S from a friend, the only problem is that it is locked.

My question is that although I use Straight Talk, I use the AT&T LTE sim from straight talk..So technically would it still work in a locked AT&T iPhone, or would I still have to have the iPhone unlocked?

Thank You!
    iPhone 5 16GB White & Black/Mac Mini 2.3 GHZ Late 2011 Model/

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    A locked AT&T iPhone 5s will work on Straight Talk. Just gotta make sure you stick with the AT&T network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 on ST
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yes iPhone 5S AT&T and straight talk compatible AT&T nano sim will work just fine just be to check the IMEI and make sure it's not reported lost or stolen. If it's not you're good

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchypunk101 View Post
    Yes iPhone 5S AT&T and straight talk compatible AT&T nano sim will work just fine just be to check the IMEI and make sure it's not reported lost or stolen. If it's not you're good
    Just to clear some things up for anyone running across this post.

Your AT&T locked iPhone will NOT activate with a Straight Talk sim.

I have an iPhone 5s locked to AT&T. Clean IMEI, iCloud, etc.

After hours of reading forums posts just like these, and reading through the Straight Talk documentation, I came to the false conclusion that I would be able use my iPhone 5s on Straight Talk using their "AT&T compatible OR GSM unlocked device" sim card. After activating Straight Talk service and porting my number over, I found out that really isn't true.

The phone is freshly restored, sitting at the "Hello" screen. After choosing the language, country and completing the wifi settings, it attempts to activate the phone. This is where it fails, and gives the error:

"SIM Not Supported.

The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone s from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information."

So I try restarting the phone with an inactive AT&T sim card I had laying around, (just to complete phone activation) but it doesn't accept that sim, either. Calling Straight Talk support is useless. They insisted that it wasn't working because my device is not unlocked. I explained to them that their own documentation, along with multiple forums say that Straight Talk will work on a locked AT&T device using their AT&T compatible sim, and if that's not the case, then their documentation is misleading and inaccurate. They just continuously replied with "you need an unlocked phone."

So I called Apple. The person I got didn't know what Straight Talk was. They couldn't do anything about it, and suggested that I activate an AT&T sim (a.k.a, buy an AT&T service plan) just to activate the phone, then try using the Straight Talk sim card (that I just bought a service plan on). Talking to Apple Support is almost like talking to my one buddy that thinks he knows everything, but never comes up with any real solutions for anything. They suggested, if I had a friend with an active AT&T sim, to borrow it from them. Come on... That's a solution from an international tech company?

So I call AT&T. They tell me that I definitely need an active AT&T sim card to complete the activation process of the AT&T locked iPhone, then proceeded to give me their sales pitch on service plans. They also said that the only way the phone will accept a Straight Talk sim for activation, is to have an unlocked device.

In conclusion, a locked AT&T idevice will not activate on a Straight Talk sim card. If the phone is already setup and running, it probably accepts the Straight Talk, or any other AT&T compatible carrier (like Cricket.) In the case that it's a freshly restored device that needs to activate, it will not without being unlocked by AT&T, or by using an active AT&T sim card.

Hope this helps someone from going through the hours upon hours of frustration that I did, because of a bunch of misleading information.

Feedback Score
    I have 2 AT&T locked IPhones that are fully activated on ST with all features working perfectly. Models 6s & 5s.

Carrier(s)
    Straight talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbee0 View Post
    Just to clear some things up for anyone running across this post.

Your AT&T locked iPhone will NOT activate with a Straight Talk sim.

I have an iPhone 5s locked to AT&T. Clean IMEI, iCloud, etc.

After hours of reading forums posts just like these, and reading through the Straight Talk documentation, I came to the false conclusion that I would be able use my iPhone 5s on Straight Talk using their "AT&T compatible OR GSM unlocked device" sim card. After activating Straight Talk service and porting my number over, I found out that really isn't true.

The phone is freshly restored, sitting at the "Hello" screen. After choosing the language, country and completing the wifi settings, it attempts to activate the phone. This is where it fails, and gives the error:

"SIM Not Supported.

The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone s from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information."

So I try restarting the phone with an inactive AT&T sim card I had laying around, (just to complete phone activation) but it doesn't accept that sim, either. Calling Straight Talk support is useless. They insisted that it wasn't working because my device is not unlocked. I explained to them that their own documentation, along with multiple forums say that Straight Talk will work on a locked AT&T device using their AT&T compatible sim, and if that's not the case, then their documentation is misleading and inaccurate. They just continuously replied with "you need an unlocked phone."

So I called Apple. The person I got didn't know what Straight Talk was. They couldn't do anything about it, and suggested that I activate an AT&T sim (a.k.a, buy an AT&T service plan) just to activate the phone, then try using the Straight Talk sim card (that I just bought a service plan on). Talking to Apple Support is almost like talking to my one buddy that thinks he knows everything, but never comes up with any real solutions for anything. They suggested, if I had a friend with an active AT&T sim, to borrow it from them. Come on... That's a solution from an international tech company?

So I call AT&T. They tell me that I definitely need an active AT&T sim card to complete the activation process of the AT&T locked iPhone, then proceeded to give me their sales pitch on service plans. They also said that the only way the phone will accept a Straight Talk sim for activation, is to have an unlocked device.

In conclusion, a locked AT&T idevice will not activate on a Straight Talk sim card. If the phone is already setup and running, it probably accepts the Straight Talk, or any other AT&T compatible carrier (like Cricket.) In the case that it's a freshly restored device that needs to activate, it will not without being unlocked by AT&T, or by using an active AT&T sim card.

Hope this helps someone from going through the hours upon hours of frustration that I did, because of a bunch of misleading information.
    Sounds like your iPhone is not locked to AT&T after all. Sounds like it's locked to T-Mobile. Because an active SIM with service is not required to activate any iPhone. You just need to insert a sim (inactive or active) that the iPhone is originally locked to to continue setting up the iPhone. Your phone is either Sprint or T-Mobile or one of the new iPhone 5S Straight Talk phones which require the original Verizon Straight Talk sim to activate.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like your iPhone is not locked to AT&T after all. Sounds like it's locked to T-Mobile. Because an active SIM with service is not required to activate any iPhone. You just need to insert a sim (inactive or active) that the iPhone is originally locked to to continue setting up the iPhone. Your phone is either Sprint or T-Mobile or one of the new iPhone 5S Straight Talk phones which require the original Verizon Straight Talk sim to activate.
    It was locked to AT&T. I know this, because AT&T eventually unlocked the phone. I wound up taking an inactive sim out of an iPhone 6 I had, and it got me past the activation. The first AT&T sim was from an AT&T iPhone 5. It didn't work for some reason.

Feedback Score
    I have 2 AT&T locked IPhones that are fully activated on ST with all features working perfectly. Models 6s & 5s.
    Nobody is denying the fact that a Straight Talk sim will give you service on a locked AT&T phone. The point was, that you cannot activate [the iPhone itself] with a ST sim card. You need an AT&T sim. The only error in my post is stating that it needs to be an active AT&T sim, which AT&T themselves told me was required.

That's why I wrote this:

Feedback Score
    I buy and sell numerous IPhones on eBay. I only deal with AT&T or unlocked devices. I've erased all settings on all the phones I obtained and had to go through the "activation process" by entering the Apple ID, etc. Not once have I had a problem "activating" an iPhone with a straight talk SIM card. If forum readers are confused there are many you tube videos showing the process.

Carrier(s)
    Straight talk
    Feedback Score
    It was locked to AT&T. I know this, because AT&T eventually unlocked the phone. I wound up taking an inactive sim out of an iPhone 6 I had, and it got me past the activation. The first AT&T sim was from an AT&T iPhone 5. It didn't work for some reason.
    I've heard of this before but never actually seen it myself. There's many revisions to the AT&T nanoSIMs so it's likely that revisions to the SIMs exist in the ones that come with newer iPhones that bypass different models of baseband firmware. That said, of course it doesn't matter if service is active or non-active on the SIM, and I find it funny that AT&T continues the lie that you must purchase service to activate your phone. LOL indeed!

Feedback Score
    Nobody is denying the fact that a Straight Talk sim will give you service on a locked AT&T phone. The point was, that you cannot activate [the iPhone itself] with a ST sim card. You need an AT&T sim. The only error in my post is stating that it needs to be an active AT&T sim, which AT&T themselves told me was required.

That's why I wrote this:
    I use inactive sims to activate iphones all the time. My VZW iPhone 5 and 4S will take any sim that actually works to activate. One time I only had a inactive sprint lte sim, and I decided to try and see if the phone would still continue with activation with the sprint sim, and it worked without a problem. I also use inactive straight talk sims to activate as well. There must have been something wrong with your sim on the provisioning side of things.