Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to tell if a used phone is financed on all 4 major carriers

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    I know. I'm just trying to figure out what the previous poster is saying.
    As I read it, they are saying the phone is financed but not blacklisted. In the future the device could be blacklisted if the seller doesn't pay off the DPP.

Feedback Score

How to tell if a used phone is financed on all 4 major carriers

Quote Originally Posted by nostaldia View Post
    As I read it, they are saying the phone is financed but not blacklisted. In the future the device could be blacklisted if the seller doesn't pay off the DPP.
    The paragraphs below are what threw me off. It sounded like he was saying that AT&T won't blacklist the phone and they would still allow it to be used.

"I don't believe it can be ever listed as stolen by AT&T. Technically it was the original purchaser's property and they owe for the original purchase agreement to AT&T. I suppose they could get a court order to repossess the phone, but really that's craziness.

It sounds like from people (on other website forums) AT&T is fine with the device on the network, provided I keep my account in good standing but they (obviously) won't ever honor an unlock request."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    The paragraphs below are what threw me off. It sounded like he was saying that AT&T won't blacklist the phone and they would still allow it to be used.

"I don't believe it can be ever listed as stolen by AT&T. Technically it was the original purchaser's property and they owe for the original purchase agreement to AT&T. I suppose they could get a court order to repossess the phone, but really that's craziness.

It sounds like from people (on other website forums) AT&T is fine with the device on the network, provided I keep my account in good standing but they (obviously) won't ever honor an unlock request."
    Perhaps SirRadiodude can clarify. I thought with AT&T, once the device is paid off, the buyer can request an unlock online and AT&T will grant it.

It is different with Sprint. Idk about TMobile.

Another thing people can ask sellers on swappa is if they will get the device unlocked by AT&T. If the device has been paid off, then AT&T will unlock it. However, if the device was not financed but was subsidized purchased under 2 year contract and the contract is not yet completed, then AT&T may or may not unlock it. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRadiodude View Post
    but they (obviously) won't ever honor an unlock request.
    I don't believe this is true. I believe that AT&T will unlock it once it is paid off by the seller.

Feedback Score
    Sorry for long wait on response.
    To clarify...
    Swappa:
    1.) Support told me they advised seller to charge me return shipping because it was their opinion is that the return would be based on me not being satisfied with the condition of the phone (i.e. had a scratches on screen that weren't listed) which is vaguely correct if you considering the phone NOT being paid fully as a condition. I didn't agree with that assessment, and will not pay to return it.
    2.) Did offer the refund their $10 fee, IF RETURNED
    3.) Accepted zero responsibility for allowing the listing, but did admitted their leverage to force the seller to do anything is limited, so if they had said the seller SHOULD pay for return shipping and the seller disagreed the only thing they could do is block the sellers account.
    4.) Pretty much deferred all my claims to paypal and paypal CS.
    Seller:
    1.) Was responsive and admits it still has $$ owed.
    2.) Claims was selling for original owner - who now claims they "will" be paying it off.
    3.) Offered a refund on payment but will not pay to ship back.
    4.) Could one day decide to report it stolen OR if it actually was stolen, it could eventually be blacklisted.
    AT&T:
    1.) Activated fine but isn't eligible to be unlocked by them until paid in full - which may never happen.
    2.) As others have said... they won't state anything about the original owner's payment status... amount due, delinquency, etc
    3.) Sounds like they **MAYBE** okay with phone being on network even if it never gets paid in full. This isn't official stance but based on other threads I've found online it seems to be the case, BUT if it never gets paid off it never would be eligible to be unlocked by AT&T.
    4.) I don't think AT&T could ever say the phone is stolen because it technically isn't... they just have a delinquent creditor... so the phone couldn't be listed BY AT&T as stolen, but they could ban it from their network.... meaning someone could get it unlocked via 3rd party and take it elsewhere (like T-Mo) and it should eligible to be activated.
    Me:
    1.) I have 6 months through paypal so I have little to lose in waiting it out to see if it DOES get paid off or reported stolen. Only bummer could be my phone gets dropped from network and I am not near a backup phone to insert my simcard into and use while I file a Paypal claim.
    2.) If reported stolen or banned from AT&T (due to non-payment) I can file a claim w/in 6 months

So as it is I will wait until 5.5 months after transaction and check it again and make a decision if it's worth it to risk past 6 months.

Feedback Score
    2.) Did offer the refund their $10 fee, IF RETURNED
    Just dispute it with paypal and be done with it. If you used a credit card (and you should ALWAYS use a credit card for online purchases), dispute it with your credit card company too. Make sure you dispute both the payment to the seller and the payment to swappa.

Swappa's T&C say devices that are financed are not eligible for being sold on swappa. Do a mock listing to see what the seller sees when they go to list - take a screen shot.

Also take a screen shot of the listing where it says returns must be accepted if the device is not as described.

And of course, give the seller terrible feedback.

Feedback Score
    Swappa:
    1.) Support told me they advised seller to charge me return shipping because it was their opinion is that the return would be based on me not being satisfied with the condition of the phone (i.e. had a scratches on screen that weren't listed)
    Swappa doesn't get to determine that. Tell the seller to pay for return shipping, dispute with cc and paypal, tell paypal and cc you are prepared to return the item if seller sends you a prepaid shipping label.

I don't understand why you are wasting your time arguing with swappa. As I told you before, deal with paypal and your cc company. You seem to think swappa has some ability to get your money back. They don't. But paypal and your cc company do.

Feedback Score
    3.) Accepted zero responsibility for allowing the listing, but did admitted their leverage to force the seller to do anything is limited, so if they had said the seller SHOULD pay for return shipping and the seller disagreed the only thing they could do is block the sellers account.
    4.) Pretty much deferred all my claims to paypal and paypal CS.
    AND your credit card company.

I am not sure why you ever thought swappa could do anything to help you. Paypal and your cc company are the entities you need to look to for protection.
    Last edited by nostaldia; 06-18-2016 at 01:24 PM.

Feedback Score
    4.) Could one day decide to report it stolen OR if it actually was stolen, it could eventually be blacklisted.
    Idk how it works on AT&T but on Verizon the way it works is as long as the DPP is not paid off, original owner could report it as stolen. But once the DPP is paid off and the device is active on another Verizon customer's account, if the original owner reported it stolen, Verizon would either refuse to blacklist it or if it were mistakenly blacklisted, unblacklist it for the new owner with proof of purchase.

Feedback Score
    AT&T:
    3.) Sounds like they **MAYBE** okay with phone being on network even if it never gets paid in full. This isn't official stance but based on other threads I've found online it seems to be the case, BUT if it never gets paid off it never would be eligible to be unlocked by AT&T.
    I read on another forum where verizon reps post that Verizon is moving in this direction too - they will not blacklist the phone if the DPP is not paid off by the original owner and the phone is active on another Verizon customer's account and instead will just go after the original owner who owes the money. However, that isn't how it worked in the past with DPPs or 2 year contracts so I would need more proof to believe the carriers have changed their stance on that.

Feedback Score
    4.) I don't think AT&T could ever say the phone is stolen because it technically isn't... they just have a delinquent creditor... so the phone couldn't be listed BY AT&T as stolen
    No, that isn't how it works. They have a lost/stolen blacklist but also an unpaid blacklist. An IMEI on either list is blacklisted.

In the past, all of the carriers would put the device on the unpaid blacklist if you were sent to collections for not paying your bill, terminating your line and not paying the ETF or not paying off the DPP. Perhaps Verizon and AT&T are changing their position and only putting the device on the unpaid blacklist if it is still active on the original owner's account at the time they are sent to collections. That is what the Verizon reps on the other forum were claiming but I have yet to see proof.
    Last edited by nostaldia; 06-18-2016 at 01:25 PM.

Feedback Score

So as it is I will wait until 5.5 months after transaction and check it again and make a decision if it's worth it to risk past 6 months.
    You only have 60 days to dispute with your credit card. I would tell the seller the device needed to be paid off within 2 weeks or you will be filing disputes with paypal and your cc. The seller got your money for the device so they have the money to pay off the device.

Feedback Score
    I've been buying and selling phones for years, and I have yet to come across a verizon phone that was blacklisted for nonpayment of a DPP, I've seen blacklist for lost/stolen, and I've also seen phones that were blacklisted because the ESN's were under a 2 year contract and still on an account that went to collections (which is why smart people used to swap there phones esns for dummy esns before not paying their bills,) but since verizon went the DPP route, I haven't seen the phones blacklisted for non-payment at all, also contrary to popular belief, not only does Verizon not share their non-payment blacklist with other carriers, they don't even share their lost/stolen blacklist with other carriers, which is doing a terrible disservice on their part for the latter. If you don't believe me, go to ebay, find a bad esn phone that has the esn listed in the ad, run the esn through swappa, it will show lost/stolen, then run the esn through the t-mobile or att esn checker, and it will show as being ready to activate. I see a lot of people on howardforums telling people they will blacklist this and that for this and that, and it's simply not true, they are just making assumptions, I've actually done the legwork!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alj96z View Post
    but since verizon went the DPP route, I haven't seen the phones blacklisted for non-payment at all,
    Thanks. That's in line with what the Verizon reps on the other forum are saying. It makes sense since all it does is piss off Verizon customers who legitimately bought the device used and paid good money for it.

also contrary to popular belief, not only does Verizon not share their non-payment blacklist with other carriers, they don't even share their lost/stolen blacklist with other carriers, which is doing a terrible disservice on their part for the latter.

If you don't believe me, go to ebay, find a bad esn phone that has the esn listed in the ad, run the esn through swappa, it will show lost/stolen, then run the esn through the t-mobile or att esn checker, and it will show as being ready to activate.
    Interesting, thanks for the info.

I see a lot of people on howardforums telling people they will blacklist this and that for this and that, and it's simply not true, they are just making assumptions, I've actually done the legwork!
    We are repeating what we have been told by Verizon reps and what we have read others report or in some cases our own experiences. What you are saying is different from what I have been told by Verizon reps. If you are right, that sucks because Verizon 4G LTE phones are carrier unlocked and that means at least for iPhones that someone would be able to use a stolen Verizon iPhone on ATT or TMobile.

I still don't want to buy phones that are financed regardless. I don't want to deal with the potential hassle down the road if Verizon or other carriers change their policy on this.

Device(s)
    Samsung SCH-i545 Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Here's my experience.

My pre-paid Samsung SCH-i545 - Galaxy S4 16GB Android Smartphone - Verizon + GSM - Black (Certified Refurbished), which I purchased on Amazon on December 6, 2015 had the service deactivated on March 27, 2018 in spite of my paying the bill on March 20, 2018 and every month before since I bought it. Verizon says that the phone cannot be reactivated or even activated with a new number due to the phone being on the non-pay list. I assuming that my only option is to either switch my service to another carrier or to buy a new phone, but I thought I should check here first.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2