Thread: Need a decent, but cheap, smart phone to use with H2O

Feedback Score

Need a decent, but cheap, smart phone to use with H2O

I am not a phone person. I just got my first cell phone a little over a year ago to use just for emergencies. I use the flip phone, ZTE Z222, with H2O Pay As You Go in Connecticut. I have no complaints with the phone. It does what I need it to do.

Now, I am finding I need a smart phone mainly because some appliances or devices now have smart phone only apps for set ups. Seems that more and more things are moving in this direction so I thought, I'd get a smart phone mainly for this purpose. I don't plan on really using it for anything other than that. I have H2O but would like to use the phone with wi-fi. Hoping to find something cheap, ($50 or less), that works decently. Don't want to be frustrated with slow service or apps.

I was looking at the ZTE Z992 because it was on the H2O site. Would this do or are there better choices for my price range?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by name246 View Post
    ...Hoping to find something cheap, ($50 or less), that works decently. Don't want to be frustrated with slow service or apps.

I was looking at the ZTE Z992 because it was on the H2O site. Would this do or are there better choices for my price range?...
    The ZTE Z992 is not much of a phone - small low res screen, only 512 MB RAM. With that RAM I would expect app performance to be slow.

The ZTE Maven is a decent low-end phone. Best Buy, etc. have them on sale frequently for $30. You buy it as an AT&T GoPhone then activate it on H2O, Tracfone, etc. You should be able to put your H2O SIM in it and go. To be on the safe side do not power the phone on with the GoPhone SIM in it.

You can compare the specs at: www.gsmarena.com

Especially worth noting is that the Z992 only has Android version 2.3. Some apps will not work on Android that old.

I have a Maven and use it around the house on wifi like an iPod Touch with no cell service. I had it activated on Tracfone for a while and it worked fine.

The Maven is not a great phone if one wants to install a lot of apps or take a lot of pictures. It has 1 GB of storage and a lot of that is used by system and AT&T apps that cannot be uninstalled. The camera does not have the option to store pictures to a SD card. But, hey, it's a $30 phone.

Feedback Score
    Thanks bobdevnul for the suggestion.

I tried the phone out but ended up returning it. I liked that I could just use it with my wi-fi (but I guess any phone would have that ability). Unfortunately, the one app I was really hoping to have work with phone did not Plus, I didn't like all the extra apps in there I could not delete. I'll keep my eyes open for some other economical option.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    Windows Lumia for $29 at Best Buy