Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best smartphone for $350?

Feedback Score
    My wife had a Droid RAZR M and we recently replaced it with a Nexus 5X for her. She seems ok with the slightly larger size. It is pretty thin and lightweight and has great performance. She likes the camera. However, she says the only real negative is that it is slow to boot up. I have a Moto X Pure and it is probably too big as she didn't want one after she saw how large it is. We have these on Selectel Wireless, a Verizon MVNO.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    How does the 5X compare to the Moto X?

I'm trying to decide between these phones. Any pro's and con's you can speak to?

Feedback Score
    The 5X is smaller and thinner than the Moto X but I think the Moto X has the brighter (and bigger) screen. I have really liked the "turbo" charger the Moto X gets. You can put a quick extra charge on it and be at about 80% in 15-20 mins. Normally I don't use all the battery but it happens occasionally so that is a nice feature. My wife is not so hard on her phone so I don't know how quickly the 5X charges in comparison. The performance of both is good but from the little I have used her phone I think the Nexus 5X might be slightly smoother.

Both phones have Marshmallow 6.0 and have a very nice look and feel to the operating system. I am not a camera critic so I am happy with both in that area. I have been a long time Motorola fan and like the feel and build quality of the Motorola phones. I know Lenovo has bought Motorola but in my opinion the Moto X still has a more quality feel to it. Also, I think the Moto sounds a little better, both when using it as a phone or when using the external speaker for music.

Both phones can be gotten with some different colors but the Nexus 5X comes in only three colors (my wife got black). The Moto X can be customized in thousands of ways, literally. I got a medium blue back with teal accents. The Moto has a rubberized back that I like. I got a rubber bumper to put around the edges and along with the rubberized back this seems to be enough. The only wear I am seeing is the edges of the color trim strip on the back. The LG Nexus 5X is nice and thin but my wife is planning on buying a cover for it so it may not end up any thinner than my phone after is is protected.

Pretty much size determined the choice for us. I like the slightly bigger screen on the Moto X and will put up with a little more bulk in my pocket or hand to enjoy the better screen. My wife really needed the smaller size and while she likes the screen on my phone she just wouldn't like trying to carry or use it on a daily basis so the smaller 5X works for her. Of course since her previous phone was a Droid RAZR M the Nexus 5X feels plenty bigger and faster anyway!

We both like that there is NO Verizon bloatware on either phone. We just put in our Selectel Wireless SIM cards and the phones both worked just fine. We have had no issues with either phone yet so that is looking good.

Just an extra note, both of these phones (and the Nexus 6P) can be used on any of the major US networks: Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile. So that makes them even better as you can move them as needed! I recommend both of these phones as excellent for the cost conscious prepaid user looking for a top line phone.
    Last edited by MrGW; 05-08-2016 at 07:54 PM.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Awesome review man. I really appreciate it. Sounds like you can't go wrong with either one.

One of these will be my next phone very soon.

Thanks again

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I have the Nexus 5X and I do want to make sure you know the 5X did have some lag issues but Google did send out an update to fix it in March. I think battery is draining abit faster now though but also supposedly the Camera on the 5X is great but has some reliability issues.
    Home Entertainment: Xfinity Double Play with 140+ channels and 100 Megs per second internet.

Landline: Google Voice

Mobile Entertainment: AT&T Prepaid as primary and secondary carrier.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicpdx17 View Post
    I have the Nexus 5X and I do want to make sure you know the 5X did have some lag issues but Google did send out an update to fix it in March. I think battery is draining abit faster now though but also supposedly the Camera on the 5X is great but has some reliability issues.
    I read the same thing about the initial release having lag issues but fixed with the update. How would you say battery life is and are you experiencing any "reliability" issues with your camera?

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGW View Post
    The 5X is smaller and thinner than the Moto X but I think the Moto X has the brighter (and bigger) screen...

The Moto has a rubberized back that I like. I got a rubber bumper to put around the edges and along with the rubberized back this seems to be enough.

Thanks for the reviews and comparisons!

Do you know which bumper you got?

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    nm..........
    Last edited by ShredFred; 05-08-2016 at 12:37 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilky View Post
    Awesome review man. I really appreciate it. Sounds like you can't go wrong with either one.

One of these will be my next phone very soon.

Thanks again
    Thanks! I think for the price point either one is a great choice... enjoy!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    Thanks for the reviews and comparisons!

Do you know which bumper you got?
    I had to go check.... short memory! It is the Casemate Tough Frame Bumper. I got it directly from Motorola on their web site. I have no idea if that was the best deal or not. It looked like what I wanted and since it was on the Motorola web site for the Moto X Pure I knew it would work well for it. I have been happy with it.

The only issue with this bumper has been that the built in "buttons" in the bumper for power and volume stick up further than the actual buttons on the phone. That makes them tend to be easier to click by accident in your pocket. I have read some people have trimmed the button on the inside of the case so they are less likely to accidentally "click". I have not done that yet.

BTW, Motorola sent a clear plastic bumper with the phone. I used that for a little while and decided I liked the bumper type case so that is why I went with the bumper.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicpdx17 View Post
    The wife just got her 5X a month or two ago and of course I updated it right away. So I wouldn't have seen the early issues anyway. So far we have not seen any issues with the camera (or anything else!) so hopefully it will stay that way.

Feedback Score
    Best Buy sale of Galaxy S6 Edge for 399

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You can also get the Moto X Pure direct from Motorola for $299.99 + tax.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGW View Post
    I had to go check.... short memory! It is the Casemate Tough Frame Bumper. I got it directly from Motorola on their web site. I have no idea if that was the best deal or not. It looked like what I wanted and since it was on the Motorola web site for the Moto X Pure I knew it would work well for it. I have been happy with it.

The only issue with this bumper has been that the built in "buttons" in the bumper for power and volume stick up further than the actual buttons on the phone. That makes them tend to be easier to click by accident in your pocket. I have read some people have trimmed the button on the inside of the case so they are less likely to accidentally "click". I have not done that yet.

BTW, Motorola sent a clear plastic bumper with the phone. I used that for a little while and decided I liked the bumper type case so that is why I went with the bumper.
    Must be this one: https://www.motorola.com/us/accessor...ugh-frame.html

I was thinking that one would be good. I don't see any better deals for it anywhere else right now.

If I decide to get the Moto X, I will likely get this bumper too. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    Must be this one: https://www.motorola.com/us/accessor...ugh-frame.html

I was thinking that one would be good. I don't see any better deals for it anywhere else right now.

If I decide to get the Moto X, I will likely get this bumper too. Thanks.
    Yup, that's the one. I got it in charcoal since I already had blue and teal on my phone. Actually looks pretty good for a bumper!

It barely adds to the height or width and doesn't really add to the depth of the phone. The rubber finish makes it less likely to slip in my hand so I tend to drop it less.

I just kind of "lucked" into it as I didn't even know they had them but after Motorola sent the clear plastic bumper with the phone I wanted to see if I could find a better bumper and this one has been good for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast