Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Tethering and hot spots with non cricket phones.

Feedback Score

Tethering and hot spots with non cricket phones.

Hey peeps. I have the 20gig plan and thinking about adding tethering. I have seen the list of compatible phones. I recently bought an s7 from cricket with the intention of adding tethering.
    I was told by sales rep that the phone has to be a cricket issued phone to use tethering. They implied that I couldn't buy an unlocked at&t s7 and tether with it.
    Anyone know if this is correct? I could buy a new s7 on n ebay for 575. That would save me 150 over buying it from cricket and tax.
    I do have the cricket issued s7 now. Stoked on it because it doesn't have a **** load of at&t bloat ware on it.
    Not sure if the at&t version has a bunch of bloat, I only imagine it does.
    The cricket s7 only had 1 page of apps new.

Anyone know about the tethering

Feedback Score
    I have no experience with the S7, but I've been with Cricket (Aio) since the beginning. Tethering is disabled on most Cricket and AT&T branded phones. Tethering is built into the Android OS, and while carrier branded phones disable this capability, it works on most factory unlocked phones on Cricket. This has always been the case. While it may be technically possible for them to enforce tethering rules, they have yet to do so. I've never been unable to tether using my Samsung devices on AT&T's or T-Mobile's networks, including MVNOs. I've used, Cricket, GoPhone, H2O, Harbor to name a few.

Feedback Score
    Wait a minute. Are you saying that I will probably be able to tether if I buy an unlocked at&t samsung phone?
    So me buying the cricket phone and paying the extra ten bucks is just stupid?
    Would this work on the 70$ unlimited plan?

Carrier(s)
    FirstNet, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via APCO25
    Feedback Score
    I have an AT&T S5 Active. It is rooted and I have flashed a small file that corrects (overwrites) the portion of the OS that checks for provisioning for tethering - it doesn't check if its okay so I can tether with the native app without issue. The only thing I tether is an android tablet because from what I have read one of the quickest ways to get "caught" tethering is to tether a PC or an apple device to an android phone. Apparently there are differences in timing and browser strings that will draw attention to the fact that you are tethering. I'd much rather watch a movie on a 10" table screen than a 5" phone screen which is about the only reason that I do it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shady at Best View Post
    Hey peeps. I have the 20gig plan and thinking about adding tethering. I have seen the list of compatible phones. I recently bought an s7 from cricket with the intention of adding tethering.
    I was told by sales rep that the phone has to be a cricket issued phone to use tethering. They implied that I couldn't buy an unlocked at&t s7 and tether with it.
    Anyone know if this is correct? I could buy a new s7 on n ebay for 575. That would save me 150 over buying it from cricket and tax.
    I do have the cricket issued s7 now. Stoked on it because it doesn't have a **** load of at&t bloat ware on it.
    Not sure if the at&t version has a bunch of bloat, I only imagine it does.
    The cricket s7 only had 1 page of apps new.

Anyone know about the tethering

Yes, you are able to tether with non-cricket phones. I bought phones from Korea: Galaxy Note 1, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S5 and LG Class. Also I m using 20gb plan I mostly consume data thru tether.

Feedback Score
    Officially, tethering is only available on a supported Cricket-branded phone, on the Pro or Smart plan, with an additional $10/mo fee.

Unofficially, it might work. Or it might not. No guarantees.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    Wait a minute. Are you saying that I will probably be able to tether if I buy an unlocked at&t samsung phone?
    Most likely any ATT branded phone will need root in order to unofficially tether on Cricket. From what I've read, even GoPhone branded phones which offers free hotspot won't hotspot on Cricket unofficially.

For the new $70 plan, not sure if others have successfully unofficially tethered or if Cricket has somehow blocked the $70 plan from any hotspot, officially or unofficially, since hotspot is not an option for that plan.

Feedback Score
    We have a couple of AT&T GoPhone branded ZTE Z998 phones that I use when I am am going to use a hotspot for a good bit of the day. The inbuilt tethering works wonderfully in these.

Feedback Score
    What I said was that most carrier branded phones will NOT tether. There are some exceptions, but generally, carriers disable/control the tethering functionality. Rooting can restore this. I buy non carrier branded devices, which tether right out the box, no rooting required. In either case, it's not necessary to pay the $10 tethering fee.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by afblangley View Post
    What I said was that most carrier branded phones will NOT tether. There are some exceptions, but generally, carriers disable/control the tethering functionality. Rooting can restore this. I buy non carrier branded devices, which tether right out the box, no rooting required. In either case, it's not necessary to pay the $10 tethering fee.
    I disagree. If someone wants to play by the rules and not risk getting their account canceled, it is worth paying the $10 tethering fee.

If people want to take a risk, sure by all means tether away illegally. We all agreed to the terms when we signed up for service, just because we can, doesn't mean we should.

I tether via my Verizon phone line sparingly, but if my work depended on tethering, then I'd happily pay the Cricket $10 fee if I needed my Cricket lines to tether.

Others will argue back and forth about "how data is data, blah blah blah"... doesn't change the fact that we agreed to Cricket's terms when we signed up. If tethering is really that critical, people should use GoPhone or Harbor Mobile or use a plan that allows it. The more people tether on Cricket illegally, the more chances Cricket will react and stop it or cancel accounts. No one wants to see that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    I disagree. If someone wants to play by the rules and not risk getting their account canceled, it is worth paying the $10 tethering fee.
    I totally agree. I'm just sharing my experience FWIW. If it makes you feel better to pay Cricket an extra $10/mo, then go ahead and do so. I won't lose any sleep over your decision.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score

Tethering and hot spots with non cricket phones.

Two years tethering free on jailbroken iPhone and not a peep from cricket. I don't have unlimited however on that line.

Feedback Score
    Those ZTE Z998 are 12 dollars at my walmart. So are you saying if I buy one of them I can drop a cricket Sim in like the 70 plan and tether with no mods to the phone? Markdiesel? Sorry for hijacking the therd Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikecoolguy17 View Post
    Those ZTE Z998 are 12 dollars at my walmart. So are you saying if I buy one of them I can drop a cricket Sim in like the 70 plan and tether with no mods to the phone? Markdiesel? Sorry for hijacking the therd Thanks.
    We have two Z998's that are used that way and have had several people on these forums that have done the same. Both of ours are bone stock AT&T GoPhone Z998 phones running Android 4.1.2 and the factory hotspot.

Device(s)
    Nexus5/Nexus6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikecoolguy17 View Post
    Make sure you have a decent band 17 or band 4 LTE area as it is missing the other 2 core bands of 2 and 5.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast