Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Tethering and hot spots with non cricket phones.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the help guys I'd just use it for Hotspot. But since I'm kinda new with this I was looking at the Blu phones will they work with cricket to tether with out modding the phone at all. Or suggestions for a decent phone under 150 that will work I have Verizon now and thinking about switching to cricket for unlimited. Thank you guys.

Feedback Score
    An factory unlocked Moto E LTE is what I am using. Great phone for cheap. I broke the hell out of my iPhone 5S and wanted something cheaper to replace. I originally bought a Blu Studio M HD which is also a good cheap phone . My problem with it was that I liked the size of my old 5S and finding a quality case for that Blu was impossible. The Moto also has less bloat ware. I am careful with my apps so the smaller amount of memory aren't an issue. The Motos battery life is very good also..

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    2015 direct from Motorola G hotspots on the 40$ plan. Tethering too. And some USB dongles (Option Icon). I abused the eff out of AT&T for years and I can't see why as long as your device isn't in one of their databases that it won't work on all the plans with data from Cricket. I mean Cricket is just AT&T in most places, if not all, right?

And for the record the AT&T Dura XE will not hotspot or tether on Cricket's 40$ plan. I got a feeling it will probably work on the 50$ and 60$ plans if you pay that joke of a fee, (data iz data iz data.....). I'd be on the 70$ plan already if they let you tether cause I would love to be able to tether the Dura to my tablet .

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info guys. I think i want to buy a few year old smart phone and try it. Anyone know if a nexus 4 will work? Regardless of the phone, should i look for a non at&t gsm smartphone?

Feedback Score
    Nexus 4 will work for both AT&T and T-Mobile. I had 2 of them good phone. Good luck finding one with a good battery.

Feedback Score
    Has anyone tethered on that new 70 plan?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, LG G3, Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, Project Fi, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've had no problems tethering on the $70 plan. My main phone is an LG G3 D850, the AT&T model. Do note, however, I'm running Fulmics 5.0 ROM + X Tether (aka Moto Tether) Xposed module, which disables the "tether" flag to carriers. I just use the built-in tethering capabilities, no special app. I've had the same success with CloudyG3 2.5 which was based on stock lollipop. Wifi, Bluetooth, and USB tethering work fine. Added bonus in the rom, I can use it as a wireless repeater, tick the option "use connected wifi" and it'll use the connected wifi as an internet source.

Just make sure you have dun in your APN type list. i.e. default,supl,hipri,fota,mms,dun

It works fine on my Nexus 6 as well.

EDIT: How's this for tethering! I managed to USB tether my LG G3 directly to a WRT1900AC running DD-WRT. The router uses the phone as the WAN gateway and acts as normal. This takes the load off my phone, no wifi tethering, less heat, and the router handles all the networking, the phone is JUST a gateway.

I now have a very valid backup if my cable ever goes down without having to worry about having a powerful charger/overheating/try connecting too many devices.

During this test I managed to stream Netflix at 1080p (5800kbps), play Minecraft, AND download some updates at the same time without issue. Take that 8Mbps haters.

Name:  OEMPGoN.jpg
Views: 3670
Size:  66.2 KB
    Last edited by Skreelink; 05-11-2016 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Tests!
    I don't like phones... I'm in it for the data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikecoolguy17 View Post
    Has anyone tethered on that new 70 plan?
    Cough, cough...I've heard from a very close source that it works very well on the ul plan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skreelink View Post
    I've had no problems tethering on the $70 plan. My main phone is an LG G3 D850, the AT&T model. Do note, however, I'm running Fulmics 5.0 ROM + X Tether (aka Moto Tether) Xposed module, which disables the "tether" flag to carriers. I just use the built-in tethering capabilities, no special app. I've had the same success with CloudyG3 2.5 which was based on stock lollipop. Wifi, Bluetooth, and USB tethering work fine. Added bonus in the rom, I can use it as a wireless repeater, tick the option "use connected wifi" and it'll use the connected wifi as an internet source.

Just make sure you have dun in your APN type list. i.e. default,supl,hipri,fota,mms,dun

EDIT: How's this for tethering! I managed to USB tether my LG G3 directly to a WRT1900AC running DD-WRT. The router uses the phone as the WAN gateway and acts as normal. This takes the load off my phone, no wifi tethering, less heat, and the router handles all the networking, the phone is JUST a gateway.

I now have a very valid backup if my cable ever goes down without having to worry about having a powerful charger/overheating/try connecting too many devices.

During this test I managed to stream Netflix at 1080p (5800kbps), play Minecraft, AND download some updates at the same time without issue. Take that 8Mbps haters.

Nice setup, Skreelink and *very* similar to what I use at times. Even your usage as described is *very* similar to mine.

Those that aren't using Xposed modules are really missing out on having control over their device.

Feedback Score
    Hi guys while on the subject of tethering. I have an unlocked tmo iPhone6 on Cricket and the hotspot menu item is hidden, I'm assuming because Cricket disables it in their carrier file or whatever it's called. I'm going to Europe for a couple of weeks and getting a local sim there from a carrier that clearly states they allow tethering. Is it safe to assume that when I put their sim card in the menu in iOS will show this option?

Device(s)
    S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skreelink View Post

Very nice setup, have you monitored your battery stats on your phone to make sure the router provides enough power? Last time I did this on my Asus RT-N16, the phone ended up using more power than the router could provide so I could only tether for several hours without the phone's battery getting too low.

What I have been doing lately on my Verizon phone is having my router connect to my phone via 5GHz WiFi, using that as the WAN, and then sharing it out over wired and 2.4GHz. This way I can use my phone while it's tethered, and charge it on a high power charger.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, LG G3, Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, Project Fi, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I haven't done extensive testing, but in the testing time I did with the streaming, etc. My battery went UP by 2%, so it's receiving enough power. I didn't want to do the wireless bouncing as it adds more latency, and makes the phone work a little harder since it runs the cellular AND the wifi radios. Especially with a high power charger, the heat generated would make the phone charge slower and keep the phone hotter for longer periods of time. As far as using the phone while tethered, It's rare that anyone ever calls/texts me, and even then, I only pass out my google voice. So I just pickup the calls/texts on another device.

Feedback Score
    Damn, that set up looks nice, but it might hurt us in the long run if more people do this and Cricket cracks down on tethering.

I don't tether, but if I had to, I'd pay the $10 fee on an authorized plan, or if in an emergency, use an unlocked phone to tether, only in a dire emergency and not for too long either.

You do what you do, but this may hurt your future ability to tether if usage goes overboard. (not saying anyone here is tethering too much data... just saying). It may hurt regular users who don't tether if Cricket has to put in data throttling as well. Hoping this doesn't hurt us too bad.

Device(s)
    Nokia 9300b
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile wUnlimited Data
    Feedback Score

Using Unlocked T-Mobile Galaxy S5 with Wireless Hotspot

I haven't read this anywhere in these forums, but I am able to use a branded but unlocked T-mobile version of the Samsung Galaxy S5 (and S4) as a mobile hotspot on Cricket, no alterations necessary. Both phones are running Lollipop.

Device(s)
    Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikecoolguy17 View Post
    Those ZTE Z998 are 12 dollars at my walmart. So are you saying if I buy one of them I can drop a cricket Sim in like the 70 plan and tether with no mods to the phone? Markdiesel? Sorry for hijacking the therd Thanks.
    I got an att fusion 3 unlocked and have tethered for months.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast