Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: Tethering and hot spots with non cricket phones.

Feedback Score
    Hotspot suddenly stopped working for me on OnePlus 7 pro. Tried adding the build.prop line.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Had a need to tether today but was practically useless.

Appears they've implemented a TTL check.

On a windows10 pc these instructions helped - https://social.technet.microsoft.com...tpronetworking .

The value to set it at is 65 (decimal). On a non windows device.... well, if it's rooted, there's ttl master for android, other deviecs... I don't know.

Adjusting the above, rebooting and reconnecting immediately improved connection speed from ~128kbps to the full 5-8 mbps. Removing the registry parameter, rebooting, it's back to slowville. Really, on a metered connection, why can't I use my 5GB as I see [email protected]#

Feedback Score
    Interestingly I am able to use hotspot just fine on my new S10 on the 5GB plan. I bought the phone from Cricket but immediately reflashed it to turn it into the factory unlocked firmware (which changed the model number to U1 instead of U)

When I had a U1 S8 the hotspot didn't work but on the S10 it does for some reason.

Have others had similar experiences?

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^So no throttling with the hotspot? Regular price of your plan is $40 - are you on a newer individual plan or part of the grandfathered plans (with the larger discount)?

I've had this plan since sometime in 2017, part of the older larger discounted group plans.

I should ask, what are you using to test the tethering speed? On my end, I use another android device with TTL master installed. If I set the ttl to 65 on the test device, I get full speed. If I set to any other number, I get ~128 kbps. This leads me to believe that att/cri detects anything other than 64 as a tether device and thus throttles unless account is provisioned for tethering. One hop is lost with each network connection. By setting it to 65 on the client device, it becomes 64 on the hotspot.
    Last edited by GPz1100; 12-22-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    ^^So no throttling with the hotspot? Regular price of your plan is $40 - are you on a newer individual plan or part of the grandfathered plans (with the larger discount)?

I've had this plan since sometime in 2017, part of the older larger discounted group plans.

I should ask, what are you using to test the tethering speed? On my end, I use another android device with TTL master installed. If I set the ttl to 65 on the test device, I get full speed. If I set to any other number, I get ~128 kbps. This leads me to believe that att/cri detects anything other than 64 as a tether device and thus throttles unless account is provisioned for tethering. One hop is lost with each network connection. By setting it to 65 on the client device, it becomes 64 on the hotspot.
    Don't know, didn't test the tether speed but I will. I was on the 5 for 100 plan but just lost it so now all 4 lines are on the 5GB plan that results in 110 per month. I was planning to switch all to the Core plan to save 10 bucks. Will that change the ability to hotspot? I thought the 5gb plan didn't officially allow hotspot either.

It was fast enough that my son and I were able to play a game of Clash Royale together while sitting on the plane waiting to leave.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    128 kbps is useful for lite/text based sites (ie dslreports), and email. It's a step up from 56K dialup.

Feedback Score

On a windows10 pc these instructions helped - https://social.technet.microsoft.com...tpronetworking .

The value to set it at is 65 (decimal). On a non windows device.... well, if it's rooted, there's ttl master for android, other deviecs... I don't know.

Adjusting the above, rebooting and reconnecting immediately improved connection speed from ~128kbps to the full 5-8 mbps. Removing the registry parameter, rebooting, it's back to slowville. Really, on a metered connection, why can't I use my 5GB as I see [email protected]#
    Does leaving the registry setting at 65 make any difference when not on the tethered connection?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Shouldn't really make any difference. If you're visiting a site that requires more than 65 hops, you've got bigger issues. Most sites are reached in 10-20 hops, even those overseas.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

It seems like this doesn't work with the Unlimited Core plan, I get ~ 0.1MBps on speed tests no matter what. I am on Win7, but the registry info goes all the way back to XP.

I changed the registry entry (which is only for IPV4) and rebooted, also tried the IPV6 hoplimit to 65 (with an elevated cmd prompt and netsh) since it seemed like my LG V30 was tethering in IPV6.

I also tried forcing the "ndo" APN to IPV4 only, which seemed to put tethering in IPV4, but had no effect on speed.

I don't tether often (< four times per year), but it's nice to have when I really need it.

Any thoughts?

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looks like this?

Feedback Score
    Had a need to tether today but was practically useless. Appears they've implemented a TTL check. On a windows10 pc these instructions helped - https://social.technet.microsoft.com...tpronetworking . The value to set it at is 65 (decimal). On a non windows device.... well, if it's rooted, there's ttl master for android, other deviecs... I don't know. Adjusting the above, rebooting and reconnecting immediately improved connection speed from ~128kbps to the full 5-8 mbps. Removing the registry parameter, rebooting, it's back to slowville. Really, on a metered connection, why can't I use my 5GB as I see [email protected]#
    did you try setting the phone to use the 5Ghz band instead of the 2.4Ghz band ??

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just used 2.4ghz... At 8mbps there's no reason to use 5.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Looks like this?
    No, of course not...

Somehow I missed the Default in DefaultTTL and only added a "TTL" key.

Changed, rebooted and a quick speed test shows 2.8 down/8.0 up.

Thanks for pointing out my inability to follow basic instructions.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    LOL!!! Can't help you there. The mistake I thought you made was to enter 0x65 instead of 0x41 (hex vs dec). The place I originally read about this didn't clearly indicate what it should be, but common sense suggested that ttl numbers are in decimal and registry works in hex.

Toggle airplane mode to get device to connect on a different band... might see better speeds.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    LOL!!! Can't help you there. The mistake I thought you made was to enter 0x65 instead of 0x41 (hex vs dec). The place I originally read about this didn't clearly indicate what it should be, but common sense suggested that ttl numbers are in decimal and registry works in hex.

Toggle airplane mode to get device to connect on a different band... might see better speeds.
    No, I saw your note about decimal (I can read, but only selectively apparently).

Speed won't improve, I'm on the Unlimited Core plan, so 3Mbps is all I can expect.

Thanks again.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12