Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 105

Thread: Sorry Sprint, we tried but your process makes it impossible.

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Patriots Nation & St Petersburg FL
    Posts
    9,545
    Device(s)
    LG G6, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

    Sorry Sprint, we tried but your process makes it impossible.

    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    Because they own the Nexus outright, they would not be put on a postpaid account with Sprint. It would be a month to month option since Sprint is not going to lose anything on the phone anyway. It would cost more than signing up with Boost Mobile, but it would give better service and roaming options than what Boost would offer.

    It's still a postpaid account if you are receiving a monthly bill for service with the promise to pay for what you've used, no?

    Imagine downloading content, subscribing to a monthly service, racking up foreign roaming charges, and then defaulting. It's for reasons like these they run credit on a postpaid account irregardless of BYOD. They want to ensure you will pay your bill.

    T-Mobile does the same thing. I tried to sign up for the 2 line unlimited plan last fall at a corporate store. It was only offered as a postpaid option and they wanted to run credit irregardless of the fact I was bringing my own devices.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,355
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by klakzky View Post
    .... if you're going to mandate an identity screen, do it in a way that makes sense. Having a customer answer questions to validate their identity in a loud store with someone over the phone is silly. You can do the same thing electronically via a computer or tablet. ....
    This would have helped. Under the circumstances my wife didn't feel comfortable repeating the questions to me for help remembering details from 20 years ago. Or we could have been approved in advance and only have go to the store to get the phone set up. I've only been through this 20 questions verification once before, when I signed up for a "cash back" Visa card. It was odd because some of the possible "correct" answers were actually wrong. For instance, one of the addresses they asked me to verify was my step-mother's address, where I had never lived. About this time last year we financed a new car and didn't have any trouble or issues verifying our identities.
    Donald Newcomb

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    177
    Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, and a Google Pixel 2 on the way
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    This would have helped. Under the circumstances my wife didn't feel comfortable repeating the questions to me for help remembering details from 20 years ago. Or we could have been approved in advance and only have go to the store to get the phone set up. I've only been through this 20 questions verification once before, when I signed up for a "cash back" Visa card. It was odd because some of the possible "correct" answers were actually wrong. For instance, one of the addresses they asked me to verify was my step-mother's address, where I had never lived. About this time last year we financed a new car and didn't have any trouble or issues verifying our identities.
    One thing you're not taking into account is that all of these carriers have employees who are pushed hard to meet sales goals and have been known to setup accounts without authorization from said client. This extra step is to further prevent someone from stealing your identity as well as to make sure the sales person is in fact setting up an account for you Mr. Newcomb. Again this is a process to protect you and should be thought of as such rather then as a nuisance. I get it that its a little ridiculous but its a one time deal and it's there to protect you so calm down and go with the flow. This process is very standard now across the board...I even get these questions when I use my bank app after I switch phones as I do quite frequently.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,355
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Royemunson View Post
    ..... so calm down and go with the flow. ......
    One more time. I'm perfectly calm, not upset, more bemused really. And we did "go with the flow". In this particular case, the flow took us right out of the Sprint store, probably never to return. Their loss, not mine.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    660
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Technically, Sprint "postpaid" is prepaid as they charge for services a month in advance. That said, there's no reason OP should've been subjected to a credit check in the first place. They should have been presented the No Credit Check Option. I agree with OP, Sprint's loss, indeed.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,681
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    It's still a postpaid account if you are receiving a monthly bill for service with the promise to pay for what you've used, no?

    Imagine downloading content, subscribing to a monthly service, racking up foreign roaming charges, and then defaulting. It's for reasons like these they run credit on a postpaid account irregardless of BYOD. They want to ensure you will pay your bill.

    T-Mobile does the same thing. I tried to sign up for the 2 line unlimited plan last fall at a corporate store. It was only offered as a postpaid option and they wanted to run credit irregardless of the fact I was bringing my own devices.
    T-Mobile doesn't. If you go with a no-credit option, they don't allow you to use international data and some roaming as the trade-off.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,632
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    T-Mobile doesn't. If you go with a no-credit option, they don't allow you to use international data and some roaming as the trade-off.
    Which is fine - 2/3 of my utility companies didn't require anything to start service but a nominal deposit (approx 1 month of service). The other did require either a credit check or two months deposit of the most expensive months. Living in the desert and the power company being this one, I wasn't slamming down hundreds in a deposit. They are also the most hated of the utility and power companies in the area.

    So, Tmo does and should offer this. I don't get why Sprint doesn't, running your credit for a small monthly utility (I can't imagine OP's wife on a single line costing a lot) is asinine.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Patriots Nation & St Petersburg FL
    Posts
    9,545
    Device(s)
    LG G6, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    T-Mobile doesn't. If you go with a no-credit option, they don't allow you to use international data and some roaming as the trade-off.
    I think I stated I tried and couldn't get that plan right? Postpaid only is what they said with a credit check.

    A little over a year ago I put an iPhone 6 on a "month to month" plan on Sprint and still they ran credit. It was the last time I'd agree to a credit check for a cell phone plan. My FICO score is in the top 5% range and it's stupid to ding it for cell phone service.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,996
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    I don't get this corporate apologist mindset - much of this does fall to Sprint. They are the company requiring her to go through such a silly and inane process. I've had to answer these questions for my yearly free credit report - I missed one once that wasn't true any way to answer it so I only got 2 of 3 that year. This is just to see your credit, mind you.

    So, Sprint could choose many other methods and actually empower the folks in the store to do this. Why call? Why not use other methods with ID and such verify? I've bought a house and car without answering such questions - surely phone service isn't as big of a deal. As someone else said, it is a wonder Sprint even has a business with such draconian process.

    Also, forgiving Sprint for having a 'relatively easy BYOP for CDMA' is also inane. Sprint, themselves, are/were part of the problem that CDMA traditionally didn't take other phones. There never was a technical reason not to, just a corporate policy in place to lock customers in. Tmo and ATT have, for years, shown that using outside phones didn't crash the network and leave cities in ruin and families crying and livestock running off. Sprint could easily do this just like ATT and Tmo have for years - please show me why they couldn't or what it would hurt.

    To DRN - Sorry this happened. I'd at least take this slightly funny side of it away - a Sprint store was full and actually appeared to be being used. I don't think I've seen more than a person or two in a Sprint store in years as I drive by.
    Sprint has an obligation to ensure that they only extend credit to the actual person requesting credit. In order to meet that obligation they have an identity verification system in place - all companies that extend credit do. So that is why I said this is not Sprint's fault. I hate verification questions, but that's the nature of credit.

    Buying a car is easier (or was for me), but I don't know why that is. I suspect it is because the loan is collateralized, or because they already have other identifying documents... I don't know.

    As for Sprint's BYOD policy, they are a CDMA carrier and CDMA carriers don't let you BYOD. The fact that Sprint does let you BYOD is why I said Sprint has a friendly BYOD policy. For comparison, Verizon doesn't let you BYOD unless it is a Nexus 6 or iPhone 6s (I can't speak to Japanese/overseas carriers) and that is because of the open access provisions attached to their 700Mhz purchase and some of our regional CDMA operators don't let you BYOD at all. I don't think Sprint has such a requirement placed on them, but even if they do, they still allow more devices than Verizon does. Another reason I think Sprint has a good BYOD policy is they can add your IMEI to their database at the store; Verizon has the corporate office add the IMEI and that takes 3 business days I'm told.

    Obviously Sprint isn't as good as AT&T & T-mobile when it comes to BYOD, but I already mentioned that previously. Given the extensive list of BYOD it appears as if Sprint is allowing anything that is compatible.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,125
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Everytime I walk by a corp sprint store in nyc, they are either customer-less or have one customer in the store with like 5 employees walking around. Tmobile are jammed packed.

    Verizon stores seem empty too. Atleast what i see in nyc
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________



    Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,996
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by terryjohnson16 View Post
    Everytime I walk by a corp sprint store in nyc, they are either customer-less or have one customer in the store with like 5 employees walking around. Tmobile are jammed packed.

    Verizon stores seem empty too. Atleast what i see in nyc
    Same in Dallas. AT&T and T-mobile are always busy. Sprint and Verizon were dead.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,355
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by terryjohnson16 View Post
    Everytime I walk by a corp sprint store in nyc, they are either customer-less or have one customer in the store with like 5 employees walking around. Tmobile are jammed packed.

    Verizon stores seem empty too. Atleast what i see in nyc
    This store has been fairly busy the two times I've been there, although they normally have only a couple of salespeople. The last time, I actually made an appointment. We arrived early and watched them deal with two customers, one just walked in circles hemming and hawing over buying an iPhone for his daughter and the other were a couple who couldn't make up their minds. This went on for 30 minutes, until the guy finally made up his mind and we got waited on about the time we had our appointment. The gal with the screaming children came in after us, which was part of the problem.
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 05-03-2016 at 07:05 AM.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,392
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    Which is fine - 2/3 of my utility companies didn't require anything to start service but a nominal deposit (approx 1 month of service). The other did require either a credit check or two months deposit of the most expensive months. Living in the desert and the power company being this one, I wasn't slamming down hundreds in a deposit. They are also the most hated of the utility and power companies in the area.

    So, Tmo does and should offer this. I don't get why Sprint doesn't, running your credit for a small monthly utility (I can't imagine OP's wife on a single line costing a lot) is asinine.
    I guess you're talking about APS.. I refuse to move to an APS service area as they were just garbage to deal with back in '09 when i moved here. SRP is a much better company to work with overall and i've noticed my power never goes out during the rain now - a regular occurrence with APS.

    But yes, Sprint should allow "no credit" like they used too (just $125 deposit, and all 9's entered as the social) - but as usual their management is just dumb about it. I mean what are they really out of if you bring your own device? maybe a month of service?
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,355
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    ..... So that is why I said this is not Sprint's fault. I hate verification questions, but that's the nature of credit. .....
    Here's my question. What do they do if someone comes in who's deaf? Say they want an iPad with a data plan. "I'm sorry but you can't answer our telephone quiz, we can't verify you are who you say you are." This is why I said earlier that this was an ADA issue. My wife kept telling "Jessica" on the phone that she was having trouble hearing and understanding the questions because of the noisy environment but that made no difference.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    603
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Well you can call credit from home and get approved then go to store pickup phones and plans.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Switching from AT&T and tmobile making it impossible
    By mighty_falcon in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-21-2014, 11:17 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2006, 09:22 AM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 08:04 AM
  4. Nothing Personal Nokia Rocks But your Sig Makes me SICK!!
    By TelecomZombie in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 08:39 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks